• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Best Strategy to Achieve Amex Platinum Travel Milestone with Car Purchase?

atom008

TF Buzz
Hello everyone,

I recently got my Amex Platinum Travel card and am looking to hit the spending milestones for rewards. I’m planning to buy a car from Maruti Nexa, and I’ve already negotiated the price down. After including road tax and insurance, the total cost is ₹10,000 less than the ex-showroom price, thanks to the slow car market and high dealer stocks.

The showroom uses an ICICI machine and charges a 2% fee for credit card payments. I’m unsure if this fee might be higher for Amex.

I’m hoping the ₹4 lakh purchase will help me earn 48,000 rewards points and a ₹10,000 Taj voucher:
- 15,000 for the ₹1.9 lakh milestone,
- 25,000 for the ₹4 lakh milestone, and
- 8,000 regular rewards points.

However, I’m concerned that some of this spending—especially the insurance—might fall under Amex’s exclusion categories (like insurance, utilities, fuel), which could impact my rewards calculation.

Additionally, I need to make around ₹8 lakh in spending overall. I also have the following cards:

• Credit Cards: Tata Neu Infinity, Axis Ace, SBI Cashback, Flipkart Axis, HDFC Millenia.
  • Debit Cards: IDFC Wealth, HDFC Platinum, HDFC Millenia.
I’m considering further increasing my rewards by paying credit card bills with my debit cards.

My question is: Should I pay for the car using my Amex to achieve the spending milestone, or is there a better option? I’ve heard about apps like EaseMyDeal, which claim to charge 1.18% for transferring credit card amounts to a bank account, but I haven’t used these services before.

I’m looking for the most cost-effective way to reach my spending target. Should I consider using credit card-to-bank apps, or stick with the car purchase using Amex and try to negotiate the fees further (though this might be challenging given that I’ve already negotiated the main price)?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I’ve heard about apps like EaseMyDeal, which claim to charge 1.18% for transferring credit card amounts to a bank account, but I haven’t used these services before

Do not use this

Additionally, I need to make around ₹8 lakh in spending overall.

You don't gain much after 4l on AmEx, though I could be wrong as I am not AmEx expert yet.

But probably if you want to stay in marriot can do a 1:1 even with the regular reward points. (1MR/50 rs * 1.8 = 3.6% effective cashback? )

The showroom uses an ICICI machine and charges a 2% fee for credit card payments. I’m unsure if this fee might be higher for Amex.

I think it would be higher, but AmEx experts can confirm ... @SSV can tag them. (a lot of offline machines don't even support AmEx it seems)

stick with the car purchase using Amex and try to negotiate the fees further

Just tell them (AmEx nodal office - if they have one) you want to do a 4l transaction and the merchant wants to negotiate the %age beforehand, you maybe able to get a good deal.

exclusion categories (like insurance, utilities, fuel), which could impact my rewards calculation.
you should do the other transactions seperately so that correct MCC is registered.

for the other 4L, you can use other AmEx cards, can utilize welcome offers (without affiliate link) and enroll for the mrcc milestone - https://amex.co/mrccenroll.

BUT these cards are not milestone based as far as i can tell but multiple transaction based.

(can do EMI on the other 4l then pay that EMI in fewer slots - crazy idea but may work)

If you are into Airmiles, probably Axis Atlas is best as you get 4% base.

Last edited:
Can you first check with the dealer whether he accepts Amex? If yes, then what are charges for Amex? Isn't this a starting point of this whole discussion?

Also don't think there are any platforms providing Amex to bank at 1.18%. Charges will be in the range of 2-3%. There also scrutiny has increased as these platforms ask for receiver's PAN

Have you ensured Amex is accepted?
concerned that some of this spending—especially the insurance—might fall under Amex’s exclusion categories (like insurance, utilities, fuel), which could impact my rewards calculation.
This depends on MCC of swipe machine and nothing else.
try to negotiate the fees further (though this might be challenging given that I’ve already negotiated the main price)
Do a ₹100 swipe and ask the dealer to let you know the actual MDR. You can negotiate with him to match the MDR so its net net for both parties.

can we negotiate with them?
The merchant negotiates with their bank for best rates possible. I've seen POS machines with 0% MDR on CC transactions. This is because of the high volume of business the merchant brings in their current account or via other products.

The assumption we will have to work with is that the dealer has negotiated the best rates possible. And you shouldn't be paying more than the dealer is being charged for MDR. If the dealer is desperate for sale you can push them to negotiate on that MDR as well. But as a customer you will not be able to negotiate with any bank or card network.

Hello everyone,

I recently got my Amex Platinum Travel card and am looking to hit the spending milestones for rewards. I’m planning to buy a car from Maruti Nexa, and I’ve already negotiated the price down. After including road tax and insurance, the total cost is ₹10,000 less than the ex-showroom price, thanks to the slow car market and high dealer stocks.

I’m hoping the ₹4 lakh purchase will help me earn 48,000 rewards points and a ₹10,000 Taj voucher:

However, I’m concerned that some of this spending—especially the insurance—might fall under Amex’s exclusion categories (like insurance, utilities, fuel), which could impact my rewards calculation.

Additionally, I need to make around ₹8 lakh in spending overall. I also have the following cards:

• Credit Cards: Tata Neu Infinity, Axis Ace, SBI Cashback, Flipkart Axis, HDFC Millenia.
I’m considering further increasing my rewards by paying credit card bills with my debit cards.

My question is: Should I pay for the car using my Amex to achieve the spending milestone, or is there a better option? I’ve heard about apps like EaseMyDeal, which claim to charge 1.18% for transferring credit card amounts to a bank account, but I haven’t used these services before.

I’m looking for the most cost-effective way to reach my spending target. Should I consider using credit card-to-bank apps, or stick with the car purchase using Amex and try to negotiate the fees further (though this might be challenging given that I’ve already negotiated the main price)?

Do not use this

You don't gain much after 4l on AmEx, though I could be wrong as I am not AmEx expert yet.

But probably if you want to stay in marriot can do a 1:1 even with the regular reward points. (1MR/50 rs * 1.8 = 3.6% effective cashback? )

I think it would be higher, but AmEx experts can confirm ... @SSV can tag them. (a lot of offline machines don't even support AmEx it seems)

Just tell them (AmEx nodal office - if they have one) you want to do a 4l transaction and the merchant wants to negotiate the %age beforehand, you maybe able to get a good deal.

you should do the other transactions seperately so that correct MCC is registered.

for the other 4L, you can use other AmEx cards, can utilize welcome offers (without affiliate link) and enroll for the mrcc milestone - https://amex.co/mrccenroll.

BUT these cards are not milestone based as far as i can tell but multiple transaction based.

(can do EMI on the other 4l then pay that EMI in fewer slots - crazy idea but may work)

If you are into Airmiles, probably Axis Atlas is best as you get 4% base.
nice info. Amex is good.

For bill payments:

HDFC platinum will give 750 rs on 75000

Millinia 400 rs on 40,000

IDFC wealth I am not aware.
I couldn't find AmEx on BBPS. so majority of platforms are not available. on mobikwik may help. not sure if this will work with IDFC card rewards.

i have 3 wealth debit cards, idfc wealth card can give reward rate around 2.5% post 50k transections.

1724307796166.png

I
Hello everyone,

Hi, Am also planning to use amex plat for new car down payment. Should I swipe 4 lacs at once for milestone benefit or do multiple transactions?

I

Hi, Am also planning to use amex plat for new car down payment. Should I swipe 4 lacs at once for milestone benefit or do multiple transactions?
I think you should first check whether your car dealer accepts Amex or not. I have seen many people planning properly but coming back with disappointment when dealer says Amex not accepted

I think you should first check whether your car dealer accepts Amex or not. I have seen many people planning properly but coming back with disappointment when dealer says Amex not accepted
I shall visit the dealer this weekend and do a transaction.Then should I call amex support and ask will I get reward points for this transaction ?

My dealer agreed 5 lacs without any charges. now confused which card to use. Should I go for Plat travel ?
I think so. It will give you 40k MR points + 1k Taj GV straight.. and even at 0.33 value of 1MR point and 6k for the Taj Voucher, that's almost 20k for 500k which is 4% return which is great.

If you can get a better conversion of MR points that 0.33, then your return is even higher !

All the best!

I think so. It will give you 40k MR points + 1k Taj GV straight.. and even at 0.33 value of 1MR point and 6k for the Taj Voucher, that's almost 20k for 500k which is 4% return which is great.

If you can get a better conversion of MR points that 0.33, then your return is even higher !

All the best!
regular 8k plus 40k MR right on 4 lac spends ? also 10k taj on hitting 4lac milestone ?

Back