• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Beware when you have esim

magnusfan

TF Premier
If you change phones, ensure the following before you reset old phone:

1. Keep your Adhaar biometrics enabled!
2. Try to get the initial esim without using Adhaar - but a different address proof
3. If your watch is esim enabled, don't sync it to new phone

Trust me, it will save a fortune...

So, my story:
-I upgraded to Apple 16 pro, finally!
-Surrendered my old phone and the delivery guy didn't hand me the new phone unless he fully verified and did a reset of old phone
-In the process, my esim got lost and there clever part of me thought I will go to Jio store and sort it out
-Little did I remember that the younger clever me had disabled my Adhaar biometrics earlier due to security reasons
-My Apple Watch Ultra 2 had esim enabled but since the bluetooth was on, it seamlessly synced with my new phone and esim was auto deleted from the watch too- so now, no way to get messages!
-Solution: I need to get my mobile number changed in my Adhaar by visiting the adhaar centre (no other option) - then enable biometrics and then get the esim back!

Phew!

Last edited:
for regualr new sims, biometrics is optional only. their kyc app will have an option to take picture of ur id proof and based on that they can give you the sim.
In my limited experience, they have strong preference for Aadhar. Any other document and they will say about delays, higher TAT etc.

Let @magnusfan clarify if Aadhar was must or preferred.

When I had taken the initial sim, I had applied via Adhaar. So, now, replacement sim is only and only possible using Adhaar!

I am an ex-telecom guy and used all my resources to do it without Adhaar - but failed!

can't you get physical SIM card of your esim using Aadhaar card (offline) ?
Nope - physical sim also requires Adhaar biometrics authentication - nothing is offline now (atleast not with Jio - they had physical CAF verification process earlier which also got stopped since Jan 24)!

When I had taken the initial sim, I had applied via Adhaar. So, now, replacement sim is only and only possible using Adhaar!

I am an ex-telecom guy and used all my resources to do it without Adhaar - but failed!
i recently got new jio sim using drivers license. my old sim got deactivated due to non usage, i emailed their grievance asking if its possible to get back old number. they replied that its possible and gave me some unique reference number told to provide to nearest jio centre and get the new sim. i asked what docs are necessary and they told aaddhar or voter or DL etc.
as expected the jio centre guy was adamant on biometrics, i told him its optional he didnt listen and asked to capture the fingerprint, it didnt work as expected since i have already had it locked. then i showed him the email from grievance telling any proof is okay, aadhaar not mandatory. after that he chose another option in his app that had the facility to take pictures of id and based on that you can get the connection.

I have written email to Mukesh bhai and Akash Ambani - suggesting that Adhaar can't be the only proof to verify identity.. Will update once I hear something!

Back