• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Bharat QR - The NPCI Payment Saga

1722973229567.webp

Introduction:
Bharat QR is a revolutionary payment method designed in 2016 by NPCI to make transactions quicker and more secure. BharatQR supports payment via cards, UPI, mobile banking, etc. It's a great payment method but didn't catch eye as much as UPI.

1722973966104.webp
PC: NPCI

Difference between UPI QR & Bharat QR:
1. UPI QR supports UPI only while Bharat QR supports wide payment options like Debit card, credit card, UPI, etc.
2. UPI QR can be used for P2P, P2M transactions while Bharat QR can be used only for P2M transactions.

How it works:

1. Locate a Bharat QR Code:
Look for a Bharat QR code at the merchant's point of sale (POS). It’s typically displayed at the checkout counter or on the merchant’s payment terminal.

2. Open Your Banking App: Open the mobile banking app of the bank that issued your card. Make sure it supports Bharat QR payments.

3. Select 'Pay via QR Code': In your banking app, choose the option to pay via QR code. You may need to navigate to the payments or QR code section.

4. Scan the QR Code: Use your phone’s camera to scan the Bharat QR code displayed by the merchant.

5. Enter Payment Details: After scanning, you’ll be prompted to enter the amount and any additional details required by the merchant.

6. Authenticate the Transaction: Confirm and authenticate the payment using your PIN or biometric verification, depending on your app's settings.

7. Receive Confirmation: Once authenticated, you’ll receive a payment confirmation notification, and the merchant will also be notified of the successful transaction.

Example: Let's assume, you go to an apparel store, buy some clothes & at checkout tell them you want to pay via Bharat QR. Most probably they don't know about this & show you UPI QR. You'll have to ask about Bharat QR specifically, which is present on their POS machine. If its Pinelabs machine then you'll see 'BharatQR' option and if it's HDFC machine then you'll see 'BQR'. Tell them to select that & enter the billing amount & generate QR. Now open your supported payment app like SBI Card, Google Pay, etc & select 'Scan QR' option, scan QR and select card/UPI/whichever method you want to pay. If it's card you'll receive OTP for said transaction, enter OTP & transaction will be successful. POS machine will generate receipt with last 4 digits of the card as usual.
Apparently, few merchants don't accept manual payment, i.e. they generate payment via system and command POS, in this case we don't have option to choose Bharat QR.
Also, as mentioned by @VISHESH_BANSAL , Paytm POS machine doesn't generate Bharat QR for now.

Note that transactions done via Bharat QR are counted online transaction instead of offline transaction. Cards having better rewards rate on online transaction can be useful here. For example - SBI cashback, HDFC Swiggy, etc which will offer fruitful 5% cashback on those offline purchase done via Bharat QR. GPay supports Visa/MasterCard only.

Demerits of Bharat QR:
Bharat QR fails to provide merchant discounts. For example when there is offer from merchant side on specific card, with Bharat QR POS doesn't know which card it is before payment & doesn't provide any discount.

FAQs:
1. What is Bharat QR?
Bharat QR is P2M (Person to Merchant) Mobile payment solution.

This solution is mutually derived among NPCI, Visa and Mastercard payment networks. Once the BQR codes are deployed on Merchant locations, user can pay the utility bills using BQR enabled mobile banking apps without sharing any user credentials to the merchant. It is a quick method of payment.

2. How Bharat QR works?
Bharat QR works as an alternate channel of payment, where cardholder has to download his/her bank’s Bharat QR enabled mobile banking app. User has to scan the Bharat QR code at Merchant store and select card to make payment. Once the payment is successful, both cardholder and merchant receive notification in mobile application for successful transaction.

3. How is Bharat QR transaction different from POS transaction?
Bharat QR transactions are different from POS transactions. In POS transaction, POS terminal is required whereas in Bharat QR transaction, QR Code is required. Using mobile banking app or wallet user will scan the QR Code placed in merchant outlet and make the payment using the Card linked to the BQR.

4. Where can I use Bharat QR to make purchase?
Any store who has displayed Bharat QR code mark in their store.

5. How is Bharat QR code different from other QR code in market?
Unlike other QR Codes, Bharat QR code has lots of additional data elements like merchant name, address, Merchant Bank information, etc... Bharat QR code is much more widely acceptable and secure than other QR codes. Users can pay using any card scheme such as - RuPay, Visa, MasterCard and Amex.

6. What are basic requirements for enablement on Bharat QR?
a) User should have Mobile banking application of respective bank. User can download the same from google play store (Android) / App store (iOS).

b) The same Merchant has to be live on Bharat QR code with user’s respective bank.

7. Are Bharat QR & BHIM QR Same?
BHIM QR is UPI Based QR. It is preferably used for P2P or P2M dynamic Transaction using Virtual Payment Address.

Bharat QR is specifically used for P2M transaction wherein payment is done via cards i.e., Debit card/Credit Card/Pre-paid Card.

With Bharat QR, paying with your card is as easy as scanning a code, making transactions smoother and more efficient. Try it out and experience the convenience firsthand!

Last edited:
Because of Total Internal Reflection, light didn't came out to enlighten us. :geek: Now we have to use bigger light to find offline/online merchants that have BQR aka Bhachat QR code. Also remember that, flame is highest when candle is about to go off and only because of this high ending flame DRV bro shared this. It will get patched but as flame is off banks will take time to see in dark.
No, it won't end.

Banks know about this loophole but never cared because we didn't care to use it.

Apparently only few selected cards offers good rewards, so let's loot while it last.

Max bank can do is, devalued the card!!

SBI cashback & HDFC Swiggy ko offline use kar Bharat QR ke sath aur 5% cashback pao.*

Cashback is subject to merchant MCC. Log bikes le rahe iss trick se & 5% save kar rahe 🤣.

Aur better card hai to wo use karo. Waise AMEX bhi supported hai Bharat QR pe but konsa app me AMEX save hoga, no idea 🤣🤭.
F, mtlb education based websites pr BQR hua bhi toh education waale MCC ki wjh se no cashback?

Wait what..? I am seeing all mixed information about hdfc swiggy cc. First, your post and in another thread you had said you can take 5% benefit from swiggy cc. Now I am seeing in another post, you can't add swiggy cc in GPay. Then where to add swiggy cc? Hdfc app doesn't support cc for paying bharat QR, this also I read in another post. How are you extracting 5% cashback then?

Wait what..? I am seeing all mixed information about hdfc swiggy cc. First, your post and in another thread you had said you can take 5% benefit from swiggy cc. Now I am seeing in another post, you can't add swiggy cc in GPay. Then where to add swiggy cc? Hdfc app doesn't support cc for paying bharat QR, this also I read in another post. How are you extracting 5% cashback then?
Yes, you can't use Swiggy CC on Bharat QR because no apps support.

I posted because it might support.

If we start using Bharat QR, hopefully NPCI will direct banks to enable features for this.

Today early morning 06:30 AM, fuelled up car using BharatQR for Rs.2500 using SBI card. Lets see whether mcc allows 125 back or not. No customer was at fuel station at that time and I taught the POS handler the process to use the section step-by-step and also told him that I will pay via same method in future. He understood quickly and before I made final payment, he tried 2-3 times himself (kyunki swaad badi cheez hai).

Scanned via sbicard app and it was too quick. Once payment was done he had to touch Check Status and only then receipt printed. Also remember to pay within 30 seconds as QR may time out. Don't know exact timing of expiry. I took 5-10s only.

Thanks to @D₹V bro. If cashback comes, pineperks cards from amazon will not be bought ever again except for one thing next year. Next thing to check is Nephew's school POS machine now and fee is due by Aug 10. Will make payment tomorrow for ~ Rs.10k and share here whether I get cb or not on Aug 10/11.

Today early morning 06:30 AM, fuelled up car using BharatQR for Rs.2500 using SBI card. Lets see whether mcc allows 125 back or not. No customer was at fuel station at that time and I taught the POS handler the process to use the section step-by-step and also told him that I will pay via same method in future. He understood quickly and before I made final payment, he tried 2-3 times himself (kyunki swaad badi cheez hai).

Scanned via sbicard app and it was too quick. Once payment was done he had to touch Check Status and only then receipt printed. Also remember to pay within 30 seconds as QR may time out. Don't know exact timing of expiry. I took 5-10s only.

Thanks to @D₹V bro. If cashback comes, pineperks cards from amazon will not be bought ever again except for one thing next year. Next thing to check is Nephew's school POS machine now and fee is due by Aug 10. Will make payment tomorrow for ~ Rs.10k and share here whether I get cb or not on Aug 10/11.
Fuel or any excluded MCC won't give cashback bro.

Glad that you passed the knowledge to someone.

Which bank app might be his question ❓
All round app is. - GPay
Other supported apps - SBI card for SBI cards
Mobikwik - only bank account option
Pockets - only ICICI PP/DC option
Similarly other bank apps but most have limited option.

Which bank app might be his question ❓
Quoting the old post... still relevant

For scan and pay via Bharat QR,

- HDFC Bank Visa and Mastercard credit cards: Google Pay works
- SBI Card: Google Pay and SBICard app works
- ICICI credit cards: Google Pay and iMobile works
- Axis Bank credit cards: Google Pay works
- Kotak Mahindra credit card: Google Pay and Kotak app works
- RBL Bank Visa and Mastercard credit cards: Google Pay works, although Mastercards don't send OTP sometimes
- IndusInd credit cards: IndusMobile works
- IDFC credit cards: IDFC First app works
- BOB credit cards: Google Pay works - sometimes gives couldn't verify phone number error, no idea how to fix
- OneCard: Google Pay works

Yes Bank credit cards: Currently no way to pay via BharatQR. In old Yes Bank app, Mastercards worked but IRIS app killed it just like new PayZapp

For RuPay credit cards, any UPI QR or Bharat QR both work (as long as merchant has enabled UPI CC QR payments)

Today early morning 06:30 AM, fuelled up car using BharatQR for Rs.2500 using SBI card. ................... Nephew's school POS machine now and fee is due by Aug 10. Will make payment tomorrow for ~ Rs.10k and share here whether I get cb or not on Aug 10/11.
Both won't fetch any CB to you as both are in exclusion category for SBI CB.
This is only useful for shops / hotels / groceries etc.

Fuel or any excluded MCC won't give cashback bro.

Glad that you passed the knowledge to someone.
Bro, no worries. I always take the risk myself to check. :ROFLMAO: Didn't had pineperks balance left so had to fill using one of CCs only. As SBI statement is far in Sept while other cards by 14/18 Aug, I used it. Once it is confirmed that no cb, will purchase pineperks again when come in stock. I hope this time I get 5K/10k deno.

Back