• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Canara Bank Online Bank Account Opening Experience(for Rupay Select Debit Card)

I have recently opened a Canara Bank Savings Account Online to get my first Rupay Select Debit Card. The following is my experience of the process of doing that.

I first went to open the account offline as instructed in other threads in the forum. I visited two branches nearby to check if they would open through tab or not but both gave me an account opening form and informed me of the documents required and asked me to fill those and submit. I came back home and thought of trying the online method.

I needed to give PAN, Aadhar and few usual details in the online form and proceeded do the VKYC. Important to mention, since I wanted the Rupay Select Debit Card, I chose "Rupay Select International" in the debit card dropdown. Since it was Saturday afternoon(6th July) around 4 P.M. , I wasn't able to get an agent for VKYC instantly. Tried after half an hour, was able to connect to an agent and start the VKYC process.

It was the longest VKYC process I have ever done, took around 20-25 mins in total. I had to confirm my details, they took my photo, PAN both sides photo and also curiously Aadhar both sides photo, even though they had already done eKYC with Aadhar during form fill-up. I also had to sign on a blank sheet of paper while being recorded as usual. The agent mentioned at the end that after he submits, if the VKYC is approved, I would get the account number within 24 hours, otherwise I need to go to the Branch to open my account. He also warned me to stay on the call and said the call would be disconnected by itself and not to close the call as that would lead to VKYC failure.

After he submitted, the call connected by itself and a screen came showing that my VKYC was approved. As mentioned, I was expecting the account number to come within 24 hours, but surprisingly it came within 5 mins, exactly at 5 PM. I was able to log into Canara Ai1 app using my Aadhar card details after that. I also transferred money using IMPS to verify whether it was active and it was. I was pleasantly surprised by the speed of account opening in a PSU Bank like Canara.

Now the back to reality moment. I still needed the passbook, and you can only get the passbook from branch. So I visited the branch on Monday to ask for the passbook. A lady at the bank gave me a duplicate passbook form and asked me to fill that up and come next week to collect the passbook as the person responsible was on leave and wouldn't be back till next week. Thus, I still don't have my passbook.

On Wednesday(10th July), I got an SMS that my debit card has been processed and it would be dispatched to my address. It was delivered to my home the next day(11th July) through Speed Post around 11 AM. So it took me just 3 working days to get my debit card, which is pretty fast and I would say at par with private banks in my experience. The card was dispatched from a Bangalore address, and I also live in the same city, so that was a contributor to the speed, but still did not except such a fast dispatch expecially when my SBI card took me 10 days.

I received a Canara Bank Card purse which I believe comes with just Rupay Select Cards along with my cheque book(10 leaves). I was able to sign into Rupay portal with my new Select Debit Card and saw the usual benefits(OTT, Spa, Cab, Health Checkup, Gym and Golf). The card also seems to be a NCMC card, and it should technically work in metros enabled with NCMC like Namma Metro. I would try it whenever I next use the metro.

Overall, a great account opening experience, especially considering its a PSU Bank. I feel if even more services are brought online in PSU banks, it would be much appreciated. My branch is an urban branch, so my MAB is supposed to be Rs. 1000. I have not been charged the debit card fees of Rs 1180 yet, not sure when I will be charged.

TL;DR
Account Opening Timeline
6th July: Form Fill-up & VKYC
10th July: Card Dispatch Message
11th July: Rupay Select Debit in my hands

Attachments

• VKYC Success.webp
    VKYC Success.webp
    34.7 KB · Views: 70
Why are they visiting home just to open a bank account?! is this the new norm now?
No, usually some banks like indusind, do these home visits and in only some cases when u did vkyc from other place which is not your residence address as per the docs

For the 1st time I heard this from a public sector bank.

can anyone post the what all benefits the select rupay DC gives on the "https://www.rupay.co.in/our-cards/rupay-debit/rupay-select" with the canara bank. (maybe can share screen shot ?)
AFAIK, all Rupay Select (Wellness) Debit Cards have identical Benefits on Rupay website, because these offers are curated by Rupay irrespective of the bank offers. I have 3 bank's RSDC (Total 4 cards) i.e.BOB, Canara & JSFB, and all shows identical Rupay benefits.

PS. Screenshot requirement fulfilled.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240908_153912_Chrome.webp
    Screenshot_20240908_153912_Chrome.webp
    225.3 KB · Views: 12
Why are they visiting home just to open a bank account?! is this the new norm now?
Bro, you should thank exploiters in India and jobless youth that every department these days have to scrutinize many things while opening a bank account or providing a sim card. Through easy processes, people of some special community in India have been invloved in embezzling unaccounted money. They are forcefully opening accounts by using people Aadhaar and PAN in villages/towns (mostly in UP, Bihar, Jharkhand and West Bengal where people of special communities are more) and they provide money to such poor people to use their credentials and open account in their names.

Just remember one thing. People do not suffer because of Govt or Banks or others departments, they suffer because exploiters always go on rampage with system and try to loot it by using loopholes and then normal people suffer. The jobless youth these days are ginding it too easy and they are using credentials and personal data of other people to have account. They misguide these people by saying they are helping them and for their benefit but at the end just using their identitiy and accounts in their name for their misdeeds.

Using your parents credentials, brother or sister amounts to cheating. Here most of youtubers who post videos are using their wives Aadhaar, PAN and keep doing stuff in her name and these scounderals only try to escape law by not using their own. So for them their better half documents is just there to be used who isn't aware of much and say do whatever you want. Many cases have came to bank where female acc. holders were contacted for KYC and later it came to know they never opened account but their husband did. India mein dusro logo ka data apne benefit ke liye aise use kartey hai log jaise unke baap ki jaagir hai.

You go to a departmenr for one thing and person working there just want to exploit system and activate many things without telling the holders.

Recently my parents went to bank and the head there cleverly tried to open a OD account against their FDs just to fulfill her targets but my father is aware being a retired banker himself and he stopped her and then complaint against her at higher authority and they took strict action by transferring her to worst branch in UP area where you can't easily find a shop to buy regular items nearby. After complaint she threatened my father and I took the case in my hand and then made her pay for actions.

If any department uses my data or try to give services without my consent, I make their life hell. Others should also follow same, no matter whether it consumes your time. But teaching a harsh lesson should always be there. For this to do you must be aware of laws associated with a department and your rights. Keep enlightening yourself.

Sharing my friend's Canara Bank acc. opening process. I was with him that time.

On Sept 4, after filling the form and submitting, video KYC never started for him and slot booking was showing no slots available at every time slot. So I asked him to close browser. After 15 mins again went to account opening site. Surprisingly Canara Bank saves and keep all data and when you again go to site punch mobile number it starts directly with video kyc page. After giving access to location, camera, microphone, person appeared in 10 seconds. He completed it within 3-4 mins and message displayed Video KYC is approved.

1. Aadhaar (Front and Back)
2. PAN (Front and Back)
3. 2 Signatures.

Got SMS with account number in 30 minutes. App installed and verified with Aadhaar. Welcome kit received with Rupay classic card which he selected in next 4 days. So everything was hassle free and fast.

That's it.

P.S: I am old school and as I told many times, I open acc. at branch and don't care about how many days it takes. Usually with private banks I get Cust ID/Acc wither same or next day without account activated. Welcome kit 2-5 days. With PSU banks it takes anything from 2-7 days for full fleged activation. So all my accounts are opened offline at branch by filling up physical forms. Patience is what you need while going offline, I am conservative at shring Aadhaar data. Better use your other IDs.

Bro, you should thank exploiters in India and jobless youth that every department these days have to scrutinize many things while opening a bank account or providing a sim card. Through easy processes, people of some special community in India have been invloved in embezzling unaccounted money. They are forcefully opening accounts by using people Aadhaar and PAN in villages/towns (mostly in UP, Bihar, Jharkhand and West Bengal where people of special communities are more) and they provide money to such poor people to use their credentials and open account in their names.

Just remember one thing. People do not suffer because of Govt or Banks or others departments, they suffer because exploiters always go on rampage with system and try to loot it by using loopholes and then normal people suffer. The jobless youth these days are ginding it too easy and they are using credentials and personal data of other people to have account. They misguide these people by saying they are helping them and for their benefit but at the end just using their identitiy and accounts in their name for their misdeeds.

Using your parents credentials, brother or sister amounts to cheating. Here most of youtubers who post videos are using their wives Aadhaar, PAN and keep doing stuff in her name and these scounderals only try to escape law by not using their own. So for them their better half documents is just there to be used who isn't aware of much and say do whatever you want. Many cases have came to bank where female acc. holders were contacted for KYC and later it came to know they never opened account but their husband did. India mein dusro logo ka data apne benefit ke liye aise use kartey hai log jaise unke baap ki jaagir hai.

You go to a departmenr for one thing and person working there just want to exploit system and activate many things without telling the holders.

Recently my parents went to bank and the head there cleverly tried to open a OD account against their FDs just to fulfill her targets but my father is aware being a retired banker himself and he stopped her and then complaint against her at higher authority and they took strict action by transferring her to worst branch in UP area where you can't easily find a shop to buy regular items nearby. After complaint she threatened my father and I took the case in my hand and then made her pay for actions.

If any department uses my data or try to give services without my consent, I make their life hell. Others should also follow same, no matter whether it consumes your time. But teaching a harsh lesson should always be there. For this to do you must be aware of laws associated with a department and your rights. Keep enlightening yourself.
your post highlights genuine concerns about how vulnerable people, especially in rural areas, are manipulated by others for fraudulent purposes
and being vigilant about our rights is crucial. However, I think your post comes across a bit negatively because of the broad generalizations about entire communities and jobless youth. Instead of targeting specific groups, it would be more effective to focus on 'some' exploiters who take advantage of the system. That way, the message becomes more constructive and less divisive. Awareness and accountability are key, but it’s important to present it in a way that encourages positive action. :)

Back