• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Cashback SBI Card MCC issue with Flipkart

iM23

TF Select
Recently I ordered a smartphone from Flipkart and paid using my Cashback SBI Card. So, I should have received 5% cashback but I didn't. So, I emailed the Nodal Officer of SBI Card explaining everything and also attached the necessary documents and screenshots. Today, I got a reply from the team and came to know that the MCC for the transaction was reported as 5942 which is categorized under "School & Educational Services".
As per the terms and conditions effective from 1 May 2023, transactions under this MCC would not get cashback. So, I haven't received it. Now, I came to know from this community that there's nothing to do from the SBI Card's end as Flipkart has reported the MCC to the SBI Card. But what should I do now? Is there any way to lodge a complaint and correct the reported MCC so that I can get that cashback?

akshayhs

TF Ace
Lol. This happened with me but with Amazon(dot)com. The payment for a GoPro Hero 11 was tagged as School and Educational services and as such I received no cashback. Fortunately, the entire transaction was refunded by Amazon on request to place the charge to a different card and it was honored by them.

Predator

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Recently I ordered a smartphone from Flipkart and paid using my Cashback SBI Card. So, I should have received 5% cashback but I didn't. So, I emailed the Nodal Officer of SBI Card explaining everything and also attached the necessary documents and screenshots. Today, I got a reply from the team and came to know that the MCC for the transaction was reported as 5942 which is categorized under "School & Educational Services".
As per the terms and conditions effective from 1 May 2023, transactions under this MCC would not get cashback. So, I haven't received it. Now, I came to know from this community that there's nothing to do from the SBI Card's end as Flipkart has reported the MCC to the SBI Card. But what should I do now? Is there any way to lodge a complaint and correct the reported MCC so that I can get that cashback?
strange.
New fear unlocked

Strange

TF Legend
This is happening due to Paytm payment gatweway.

aceventura

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
In a way, Flipkart did school us on the pitfalls of trusting them.

aceventura

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
What happens if we use the card on international website. Do we get 5%cashback or there are exclusions there also?
Yes, CB is allowed for International online transactions as well but as per MCC. Have done that and gotten cashback. Ofcourse, there will be FCY charges + GST.

However, there was another thread, where a poster got only 1% cashback instead of 5% as that particular transaction was classified as offline instead of online.

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
Better to buy Flipkart gv at 5% cashback and use on Flipkart, buy from same website -

aashuuuu

TF Premier
Lol. This happened with me but with Amazon(dot)com. The payment for a GoPro Hero 11 was tagged as School and Educational services and as such I received no cashback. Fortunately, the entire transaction was refunded by Amazon on request to place the charge to a different card and it was honored by them.
How to even do that? Can you elaborate?

akshayhs

TF Ace
How to even do that? Can you elaborate?
What do you mean how can I do that? The product in question hadn't shipped yet and Amazon(dot)com doesn't charge the card until your product ships. I had all the cards I use for international tx. on Amazon and I asked them to place the charge on a different card citing there were some issues on the card associated with the order. (I didn't have any issues, but I knew it works.)

Have you redirected from Yono SBI app? Same thing was happened earlier with me.

Strange

TF Legend
Wrong MCC (BOOKS AND STATIONERY) was reported for my Flipkart order but I paid using Flipkart Axis card So I got 5% cashback. Flipkart uses different payment gateways causing changes in MCC. If you want guaranteed 5% cashback on Flipkart then consider using Flipkart Axis card.

mrbanker

TF Select
Wrong MCC (BOOKS AND STATIONERY) was reported for my Flipkart order but I paid using Flipkart Axis card So I got 5% cashback. Flipkart uses different payment gateways causing changes in MCC. If you want guaranteed 5% cashback on Flipkart then consider using Flipkart Axis card.
Their MCC on Paytm payment gateway was "Food Services" for my electronic order😂