• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

CAUTION: Load your Amazon Pay vouchers immediately to your amazon account

sankar7000

TF Buzz
I wanted to share with everyone an incident that happened with me.
I purchased amazon pay vouchers using HDFC SMARTBUY gift card portal on July 28th. There were a total of 5 1000 rupees vouchers. I forgot about it.
I tried to load them on August 10th, 4 of them worked. 1 did not work saying it has been used elsewhere. Then it was a shock when I reached out to GYFTR and they told me that it was redeemed on 5th August and asked me to talk to Amazon to get the account on which it was redeemed. Amazon as usual did not tell me the account as they dont have the information. It could be some insider who may have done this.

So the lesson/moral of the story is WHENEVER YOU PURCHASE vouchers, please ADD THEM immediately. I did not have the time/bandwidth to file a cyber crime incident.

I purchased amazon pay vouchers using HDFC SMARTBUY gift card portal on July 28th. There were a total of 5 1000 rupees vouchers. I forgot about it.
I tried to load them on August 10th, 4 of them worked. 1 did not work saying it has been used elsewhere. Then it was a shock when I reached out to GYFTR and they told me that it was redeemed on 5th August and asked me to talk to Amazon to get the account on which it was redeemed. Amazon as usual did not tell me the account as they dont have the information. It could be some insider who may have done this.

So the lesson/moral of the story is WHENEVER YOU PURCHASE vouchers, please ADD THEM immediately. I did not have the time/bandwidth to file a cyber crime incident.
Is it possible that it got leaked from your side? Like your friend, or someone who has access to your phone/ email etc. Either GyFTR or amazon should be able to help you out on who's amazon account it got redeemed on.

You can also try involving the card issuing bank, raise a chargeback etc, or first threaten gyFTR with it. Technically, you didn't receive the serivce. Others can help out on if it'll work out this way @SSV @D₹V @NShah.

If you could figure out who's account it got redeemed, we can then proceed basis that.

Is it possible that it got leaked from your side? Like your friend, or someone who has access to your phone/ email etc. Either GyFTR or amazon should be able to help you out on who's amazon account it got redeemed on.

You can also try involving the card issuing bank, raise a chargeback etc, or first threaten gyFTR with it. Technically, you didn't receive the serivce. Others can help out on if it'll work out this way @SSV @D₹V @NShah.

If you could figure out who's account it got redeemed, we can then proceed basis that.
1000%, my accounts are secure and no one has access to my phone/email other than me.

1000%, my accounts are secure and no one has access to my phone/email other than me.
I have enabled 2FA authentication using Authenticator app as well. So leak from google end is ruled out. No one has access to email other than me. I regularly check devices etc as well. The only request is to learn from my mistake of not adding to the account immediately and save money. Even though I am very cautious in this digital world, you never know how people randomly identify just 1 out of the 5 vouchers not yet redeemed to be added to their personal account. Someone knows how this well! Just adding caution to this group!

how many amazon account u have, sometimes it may get loaded into business account. happened with my sister. amazon created business account on behalf of her and the voucher ended up in that.

AMAZON FLATLY refused to identify the account to which it was REDEEMED. Maybe there needs to be an OTP kinda mechanism for redemption as well as added feature? Someone internal knows that this user has 5 vouchers and he may not raise an alarm if I take only 1 voucher and he might not know as well as he anyways did not redeem for more than a a week!

how many amazon account u have, sometimes it may get loaded into business account. happened with my sister. amazon created business account on behalf of her and the voucher ended up in that.
Only 1 account and no other amazon account.

This is eye - opening.. Thanx for sharing this. Usually I use the vouchers immediately for fear I will forget about them later. But this post has now renewed my determination to do this without fail. And some sort of OTP feature for adding vouchers can be helpful, I agree.

I remember reading somewhere that @SSV usually securely saves his Vouchers and adds only when using. I've trying to follow the same for last 2 months.

But this is scary

How we deal with these kinds of stuff:

1) You need to securely store your GV data . Any leak from your side whthere accidentally or thru someone else fraudulent access to your data, is your responsibility, not the issuer / AMZN.

or

2) Immediately apply the GV in your AMZN account and keep renewing after 1 year by calling Amzn CC or by placing a big order and cancel the order from AMZN which refunds the GV with another 1 year validity..

I kind of do both the things:

1)All small GV like under 1K or2K I will apply them immediately to amzn account.
2) all big ticket items like 5K and 10K GVs' I snooze them in my Gmail account and use them whenever required..

Note: my gmail account has 2FA and I give access to no-one / no third party app to my email.. I had no - problem until now..

These days I was more into storing them directly into AMZN account as I keep losing track of them.. unless it is 10K GV...

1725640456734.webp

Remedy:
For you, you can only contact issuer.. issuer already mentioend that it was used on 5th August which was after the issued date.. means it was stolen from your storage.. so unfotunately it was your responsibilty to keep it safe...

Last edited:
Back