• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Cheque Fraud: Rs 180 -> Rs 75,000 cashed out. Original text was overwritten. Please read the details and help.

Batman

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
This is an awful incident that happened to a neighbor. I am adding details for you all to read. Some of this may sound silly and stupid, but I am stating facts as they are. Please read and help.
  1. Scamster posed as Metlife Insurance employee who needed to collect "final installment" of Rs 180 from neighbor. He had accurate details of insurance policy. He visited neighbor's home to collect, but didn't accept cash. Payment could only be made by cheque.
  2. Neighbor wrote a cross cheque (account payee) of Rs 180. He clearly wrote the name, amount (text and number), date and signature in pen.
  3. The words on cheque were overwritten. Rs 180 -> Rs 75,000. Name, amount, date are changed. Signature is untouched. The cheque has some indication that words are overwritten. I mean, it is like how pencil is erased but some letters are somewhat visible.
  4. Neighbor did not have positive pay facility. He received no call from the bank when cheque was cleared.
  5. Complaint and escalations - Bank has taken no responsibility and shifted the blame completely on neighbor.
  6. FIR not registered - Police has taken a complaint, but refused to register FIR.
I am attaching masked cheque here. Please take a look for yourselves and suggest possible measures. https://postimg.cc/CB0ykmW4. Note that the cheque might look torn, but it is in one peace.
I am willing to escalate to Nodal, Principal Nodal desk and RBI Ombudsman.

Also, I will push neighbor for FIR being registered - what are the grounds for FIR here?

Meanwhile, I have advised neighbor to keep that account empty.

------------
Update: Adding more details based on comments -
  1. Neighbor filled the cheque himself. It was a CROSS cheque. Cross was erased.
  2. Neighbor had also signed on back of cheque and written policy number etc. All of that was erased, only signature remained visible.
  3. MetLife employee details - Neighbor did not verify employee ID. Even if he did, it wouldn't have been difficult to have a fake ID.
  4. Neighbor doesn't remember the pen he used. It could have been scammer's pen.
  5. Written complaint done to bank, received their reply as well. I'm attaching it below.
  6. CCTV footage available of the scammer. What to do with it?
  7. The cheque was indeed encashed without taking ID of scammer. How do I proceed here?
  8. I have asked neighbor to tell the bank that cheque must not be destroyed or taken away.
Why Bank may be at fault -
  1. Bank didn't ID or KYC the scammer, even though cheque was > Rs 50,000. I found this article that states this guideline. Could someone please help me find RBI guideline for the same?
  2. Cheque appears overwritten, but how do I enforce that to the bank? Can RBI do that?
Attached Document: Reply from bank -
  1. Please read the doc carefully. Half of it is in Hindi. The bank claims no responsibility. Bank says that the cheque did not appear forged or overwritten.
  2. It seems like bank hasn't mentioned the clause for ID verification for cheque > Rs 50,000.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-19 222144.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-19 222144.png
    284.9 KB · Views: 356
  • Frame 2.png
    Frame 2.png
    202.5 KB · Views: 144
  • Frame 1.png
    Frame 1.png
    347.5 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

kushhh

TF Ace
This is an awful incident that happened to a neighbor. I am adding details for you all to read. Some of this may sound silly and stupid, but I am stating facts as they are. Please read and help.
  1. Scamster posed as Metlife Insurance employee who needed to collect "final installment" of Rs 180 from neighbor. He had accurate details of insurance policy. He visited neighbor's home to collect, but didn't accept cash. Payment could only be made by cashier's cheque.
  2. Neighbor wrote a cashier's cheque of Rs 180. He clearly wrote the name, amount (text and number), date and signature in ball point pen.
  3. The words on cheque were overwritten. Rs 180 -> Rs 75,000. Name, amount, date are changed. Signature is untouched. The cheque has some indication that words are overwritten. I mean, it is like how pencil is erased but some letters are somewhat visible.
  4. Neighbor did not have positive pay facility. He received no call from the bank when cheque was cleared.
  5. Complaint and escalations - Bank has taken no responsibility and shifted the blame completely on neighbor.
  6. FIR not registered - Police has taken a complaint, but refused to register FIR.
I am attaching masked cheque here. Please take a look for yourselves and suggest possible measures. https://postimg.cc/CB0ykmW4. Note that the cheque might look torn, but it is in one peace.

Also, I will push neighbor for FIR being registered - what are the grounds for FIR here?

Scary 😳 .

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
  1. Scamster posed as Metlife Insurance employee who needed to collect "final installment" of Rs 180 from neighbor. He had accurate details of insurance policy. He visited neighbor's home to collect, but didn't accept cash. Payment could only be made by cashier's cheque.
  2. Neighbor wrote a cashier's cheque of Rs 180. He clearly wrote the name, amount (text and number), date and signature in ball point pen.

Thausand seriously!

Even bank employee are into these shits

Pnb is scamster place .

The MetLife employee must have employed so his details must be there right?

Tejo

TF Legend

So he might used magic pen (100%)

Then sign also will disappear na, I think he over written that too.

File 420, cheating
467, forgery

ZappyRed

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

He must have used this PEN under this link called KGB Disappearing Magic Pen.
Check this out once : How a Magic Pen works

sidp

TF Ace

The overwriting is clearly visible. It shouldn't have been accepted. Ask them to do a written complaint to bank. If bank says they can't, ask bank to give it in writing. You should escalate it to pno directly and do a RBI complaint after that.

again for fir. They have to register. If they don't you can complain to sp. You can easily find sp mail & even phone no. Mail 1st if you don't receive any response in 2 days call. FIR is first information report. Its not evidence or even that police has to do something about it. It is just a legal record.
Like if you lose your sim, you can file fir. That doesn't mean police must find it or even someone stole it. It is just a record that it isn't currently with you,so if something illegal happens in future involving same sim, you aren't responsible.

Last edited: