• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Cheque Fraud: Rs 180 -> Rs 75,000 cashed out. Original text was overwritten. Please read the details and help.

This is an awful incident that happened to a neighbor. I am adding details for you all to read. Some of this may sound silly and stupid, but I am stating facts as they are. Please read and help.
  1. Scamster posed as Metlife Insurance employee who needed to collect "final installment" of Rs 180 from neighbor. He had accurate details of insurance policy. He visited neighbor's home to collect, but didn't accept cash. Payment could only be made by cashier's cheque.
  2. Neighbor wrote a cashier's cheque of Rs 180. He clearly wrote the name, amount (text and number), date and signature in ball point pen.
  3. The words on cheque were overwritten. Rs 180 -> Rs 75,000. Name, amount, date are changed. Signature is untouched. The cheque has some indication that words are overwritten. I mean, it is like how pencil is erased but some letters are somewhat visible.
  4. Neighbor did not have positive pay facility. He received no call from the bank when cheque was cleared.
  5. Complaint and escalations - Bank has taken no responsibility and shifted the blame completely on neighbor.
  6. FIR not registered - Police has taken a complaint, but refused to register FIR.
I am attaching masked cheque here. Please take a look for yourselves and suggest possible measures. https://postimg.cc/CB0ykmW4. Note that the cheque might look torn, but it is in one peace.
I am willing to escalate to Nodal, Principal Nodal desk and RBI Ombudsman.

Also, I will push neighbor for FIR being registered - what are the grounds for FIR here?

Meanwhile, I have advised neighbor to keep that account empty.
@RAMESH BABU N sir share your expertise regarding this matter.

This is something crazy... Get the person's sketch drawn while the memory is fresh... Check nearby cameras for this vehicle movement and other traces.. I think bank would definitely have the video of him depositing the cheque..

Write a complaint to bank and escalate.

If police is refusing to file FIR, write to area sp.
Take legal help from a lawyer, and file a complaint case via magistrate under section 420.
When legal notice will come a/c owner has to either settle or legal battle will commence, will take 1-2 year for final settlement.
Mostly people gets their issues sorted when summons are sent.

This is an awful incident that happened to a neighbor. I am adding details for you all to read. Some of this may sound silly and stupid, but I am stating facts as they are. Please read and help.
  1. Scamster posed as Metlife Insurance employee who needed to collect "final installment" of Rs 180 from neighbor. He had accurate details of insurance policy. He visited neighbor's home to collect, but didn't accept cash. Payment could only be made by cashier's cheque.
  2. Neighbor wrote a cashier's cheque of Rs 180. He clearly wrote the name, amount (text and number), date and signature in ball point pen.
  3. The words on cheque were overwritten. Rs 180 -> Rs 75,000. Name, amount, date are changed. Signature is untouched. The cheque has some indication that words are overwritten. I mean, it is like how pencil is erased but some letters are somewhat visible.
  4. Neighbor did not have positive pay facility. He received no call from the bank when cheque was cleared.
  5. Complaint and escalations - Bank has taken no responsibility and shifted the blame completely on neighbor.
  6. FIR not registered - Police has taken a complaint, but refused to register FIR.
I am attaching masked cheque here. Please take a look for yourselves and suggest possible measures. https://postimg.cc/CB0ykmW4. Note that the cheque might look torn, but it is in one peace.

Also, I will push neighbor for FIR being registered - what are the grounds for FIR here?

If cheque was only option, he should have issued a crossed cheque.

If he withdraws the cash using cheque or collect cash from customer, the difference will be none as ultimately cash is what he gets

If cheque was only option, he should have issued a crossed cheque.

If he withdraws the cash using cheque or collect cash from customer, the difference will be none as ultimately cash is what he gets
He changed payee name... How could crossed cheque could offer any help?

This fraud has been performed using Pilot Frixion pen with erasable ink.

One must never use the pen offered by someone else to prevent falling prey to such frauds. Always use your own pen.

It is also advisable to use a tamper proof pen like Uniball's Vison Elite.

Many such incidents have been reported -

1. https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/clerk-who-forged-cheques-erasable-ink-pen-gets-50-months-jail

2. https://www.theinvestigators.co.nz/...s-erasable-ink-could-put-you-at-risk-of-fraud

3. https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...aud-man-of-rs-1-lakh/articleshow/71091186.cms

Back