• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Cheque Fraud: Rs 180 -> Rs 75,000 cashed out. Original text was overwritten. Please read the details and help.

It seems like it'll take some time for me to talk to Karan. So I'll post a quick summary here - PNB is sending the cheque to forensic study.

They want my neighbour to pay the bill.

1. Cost of forensic analysis not mentioned in email. Should I ask PNB an estimate? (They'd probably quote 4x compared to actual cost.)

2. Who ordered forensic analysis? No mention in report. Obviously it has to be RBI or CPGRAMS Public Grievance portal.

3. If RBI ordered PNB to get forensic report, shouldn't the bank pay for it? How do we ask PNB, can I write to RBI to order PNB to pay?

4. Who actually conducts the forensic analysis? Is it RBI team/RBI compliant team? Is it PNB internal team? Is it a third party?

Last edited:
Bhai log, there has been no update.

Ye reply kia tha RBI ne. iske baad case close kar dia. I have reopened it, but no update from them.

RBI has clearly transferred ownership to bank. PNB will conduct forensic analysis. Payment for the study will be paid by the losing side.

Rest of the details are below. PNB pe trust nahi hai hai neighbour ko. To abhi we haven't moved forward anywhere. Local courts me push karne ka discussion hua tha, but no lawyer is interested to pick-up the case.

I tried hard. But it didn't matter.
It seems like it'll take some time for me to talk to Karan. So I'll post a quick summary here - PNB is sending the cheque to forensic study.

They want my neighbour to pay the bill.

1. Cost of forensic analysis not mentioned in email. Should I ask PNB an estimate? (They'd probably quote 4x compared to actual cost.)

2. Who ordered forensic analysis? No mention in report. Obviously it has to be RBI or CPGRAMS Public Grievance portal.

3. If RBI ordered PNB to get forensic report, shouldn't the bank pay for it? How do we ask PNB, can I write to RBI to order PNB to pay?

4. Who actually conducts the forensic analysis? Is it RBI team/RBI compliant team? Is it PNB internal team? Is it a third party?

Bhai log, there has been no update.

Ye reply kia tha RBI ne. iske baad case close kar dia. I have reopened it, but no update from them.
Kaunsi region wala BO hai ?
RBI has clearly transferred ownership to bank. PNB will conduct forensic analysis. Payment for the study will be paid by the losing side.
Waah 😂 chor ko hi chuakidaar bana diya, bhaut khub 🤣
Rest of the details are below. PNB pe trust nahi hai hai neighbour ko.
Kaise rahega jab unka main suspect iss fraud ka wahi hain 😐
To abhi we haven't moved forward anywhere. Local courts me push karne ka discussion hua tha, but no lawyer is interested to pick-up the case.
Really and why are not showing any interest, not capable or don't want to get indulged in the matter of PNB and RBI.
Or, they are not capable enough, to handle this case?
I tried hard. But it didn't matter.
😐

Kaunsi region wala BO hai ?

Waah 😂 chor ko hi chuakidaar bana diya, bhaut khub 🤣

Kaise rahega jab unka main suspect iss fraud ka wahi hain 😐

Really and why are not showing any interest, not capable or don't want to get indulged in the matter of PNB and RBI.
Or, they are not capable enough, to handle this case?

😐
  1. BO - Jaipur division. I had a contact in RBI tech division. Ek reply nahi aaya unka. Maybe they see such cases everyday and have grown to be ignorant.
  2. Lawyers not being interested - money stuck is too low. The local lawyer is fighting another case where total amount is ~3 Cr. He said he'll get a cut of 1-3%, hence the interest.

I am open to suggestions on what to do next.
If the existing complaint was by closed by rbi bo, then you can appeal.

I advise to appeal via an advocate, dm I will give contact .... might charge >5% of Amount.

Previously, complained via cp grams or bo portal means then appeal via respective portal ....

@Batman - Arriving late at the scene, but was able to recognize that certain things have been erased and over-written. Appears to be 'cheque washing'. I could see the original AC payee cross lines and also the starting letters of the receiver's name and the amount in words being tampered with. However, this could've been possible because I knew what to look for based on the context here; a clerk at a PSU bank might not have been diligent about it.
But they should've been diligent about making sure the receiver is indeed Nitin Kapoor - I guess he probably did have some fake ID, very apparent from a name that seems more like a stage name of theater actors.

@Batman - Arriving late at the scene, but was able to recognize that certain things have been erased and over-written. Appears to be 'cheque washing'. I could see the original AC payee cross lines and also the starting letters of the receiver's name and the amount in words being tampered with. However, this could've been possible because I knew what to look for based on the context here; a clerk at a PSU bank might not have been diligent about it.
But they should've been diligent about making sure the receiver is indeed Nitin Kapoor - I guess he probably did have some fake ID, very apparent from a name that seems more like a stage name of theater actors.
Appreciate your comment mate. Unfortunately, RBI doesn't see it that way.

I'm disappointed, and out of options at the moment.

Appreciate your comment mate. Unfortunately, RBI doesn't see it that way.

I'm disappointed, and out of options at the moment.
Some lessons learnt though:
1. Use gel ink pens instead of ball pens
2. Take a pic of the cheque before handing it over to the collector
3. Take a pic of the collector along with his ID
4. Avoid cheques altogether - may not be possible for everyone, but if there isn't a necessity, do not apply for it - then you'll (and even the collector will agree to it) resort to a digital payment anyway, since at the time of payment, there is a genuine reason to deny such mode of payment.
5. Add more info/context along with the signature, just besides/around it - this is to make it difficult to wash just the context without washing off the signature as well.

Some lessons learnt though:
1. Use gel ink pens instead of ball pens
2. Take a pic of the cheque before handing it over to the collector
3. Take a pic of the collector along with his ID
4. Avoid cheques altogether - may not be possible for everyone, but if there isn't a necessity, do not apply for it - then you'll (and even the collector will agree to it) resort to a digital payment anyway, since at the time of payment, there is a genuine reason to deny such mode of payment.
5. Add more info/context along with the signature, just besides/around it - this is to make it difficult to wash just the context without washing off the signature as well.
I don't think #2 - #5 would help much, at least in a similar case like this one. Based on my experience on this case, RBI can simply absolve the bank from any blame. This means that even though bank cashed the cheque, they don't need to reimburse the money. The customer then needs to file a police report and wait for police to catch this scammer. Good luck with that.

YMMV, I just want people here to be safe. Any false sense of security hurts too.

This need to cross cheques has been a long-standing puzzle to me that even several BMs couldn't provide a satisfactory answer to! I'm hoping knowledgeable members here could provide an explanation. So here are the details of my query:

Of the hundreds of cheques I have ever been required to write over the years, only a very very very few did not need to be crossed! I suspect many of you (if not most) have had similar experiences (although I suspect people needing to pay employees without bank accounts did have to issue bearer cheques, --- however that shouldn't be a necessity these days anymore). I do believe that a quite large fraction (if not the majority) of all cheques issued are crossed.

This reminds me of an idiotic practice followed by banks around me. Whenever I want to withdraw a large-ish amount of cash, they insist I withdraw using a bearer cheque addressed to "Yourself", "Myself" or "NAME". Ideally, a cash withdrawal slip + ID proof / passbook should suffice for well... withdrawing cash. Yet these banks insist on bearer cheques written to account holder himself.

I've had this experience with SBI, Bank of Baroda and a large co-operative bank in separate instances. And it seems this a common experience: https://www.technofino.in/community...sist-on-withdrawal-through-cheque-only.16808/

So I'm going to guess that a very large amount of bearer cheques are actually a substitute for cash withdrawal slip, even in 2024.

Back