• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

CIBIL Score - A Practical Guide

SSV

TF Reserve
Contributor
VIP Lounge
CIBIL Score - A Practical Guide

Discalimer: This is mainly for regular Credt Card users who pay all their dues before due date and wondering why their score is not increasing..
Here we dont discuss the cases where there were defaults and / or delayed payments..that is for another day..​

Ladies and Gentelmen,

Here is the much awaited post on CIBIL Score and how it works and what we should do to improve it over the period of the time..

Here I won't go in detail about how the score is constructed as there were numerous posts on the internet in explaining the CIBIL score in an academic way..
Here we will concentrate more on practical things..

Lets get started..

CIBIL Score's main constituents:

1) Payment History
2) Utilisation
3) Number of Enquiries in the recent past
4) Credit age..
5) Credit Mix

1) Payment History

We should pay all dues before the due date in order to have an excellent score and minimum fainancial burden on us.. This many of us do anyway..

TIP: we should atleast pay Minimum Amount Due( MAD) before the due date atleast - this will safeguard the score,
but will impact us financially if we pay only MAD and leave the rest...

Best practice:
1) Pay MAD immediately after the bill is generated - This will protect the score, in case you failed to pay the full before due date.
2) Pay the full amount due at least 5 days before due date. - ideal case scenario.
3) Pay the full amount even before the bill generations / month end- the best case scenario- will discuss this in detail at the end..

2) Utilisation

There is a notion that if we have <30% overall utilisation then it is good..
Lets dig deep into this..

The prinicple is : the higher the utilisation ratio, the lower the score.. and vice versa ...Period..
So, the aim should be the utilisation ratio should be as minimal as possible. ( it can even go into -ve, this is the best case scenario)..

How this works practically:
It works in range bound basis: like 0 to 10 % , 10 - 20 % and 20 - 30% etc.
Note: these exact range numbers are hypothitical.. trying to explain the logic...
For example: 0- 10% utilisation ratio will have better score than 10- 20% and
10- 20% utilisation ratio will have better score than 20- 30% ratio..

Once it crosses 30% utilisation ratio it will have big negative impact on the score.. hence need to maitain less than 30% ratio to have a decent score.

Tip:
This uitlisation ratio is calculated both on
1) overall basis ( on all accounts together) and
2) Individual account level basis..

Both of the above ratios will have their weightage in the score construction.

Example:
You have 10 accounts with a total of 10 Lakhs sanctioned limit and total utilisation of 2 Lakhs
Here the overall utilisation is: 20%, which is okay as it is under 30%..
But if one of the accounts has 50% utilisation ( ie, one account which has 1L limit and utilsation with 50K).
In this case , score will have big negative impact even though your overall is less than 30%...

BEST practice:

Make sure each and every account utilisation is less than 30% to start with
and as low as possible to have as better score as possible.. ( It can go to negative as well .. this is the best possible scenario)...

3) Number of Enquiries

This is where a lot of people have confusion..

The basic rule:
The longer the credit history , the lesser the impact of number of enquiries on the Credit score...

In practical terms:
Once your credit history crosses the age of 5 years, the no. of enquiries' negative impact diminishes..

Say if you have 6 years of credit history, then 5 or 10 enquireis in the past 1 to 3 months will not have any impact on the score.

If your credit history crosses 10 - 15 years , you can safely forget about the concept of number of enquiries...

TIP:
Even if your credit score is impacted because of no of enquiries, the score will recover pretty fast ie. within 2 to 3 months.
Only people with less than 5 years of credit history should be careful about the no of enquiries..

4) Credit age

The longer the Credit age the better the score and score's stability...
For a person who has a credit age of 15 to 20 years, the fluctuation in his/ her score is very minimal...

Again, after the age of 5 years , the score will get a bit of the boost and started to get stabilised..
Obviously the more older the credit profile the better.
when you are trying to close your oldest credit card account, please check what is the second oldest account's age, if it is more than 5 years, no need to worry..

TIP:
Check score predictor in the offical CIBIL app and predict your score by selecting the oldest card's closure.. this will give a very accurate prediction in my experience.

5) Credit Mix

Obviously, a mix of sceured and unsecured loans is a better indicator rather than having only unsecured loans...

However, what I observed in practice, except for Home loan all other Secured loans have no / minimal postive impact on the score..

Home Loan- will definitely improve your score by around 10 points.
Gold Loan and Loan against FD - have no positive impact on the score in my experience. in fact it had a negative impact as it is carrying some current balances..
Auto Loan - also may not have a positive impact..

Now coming to some other interesting bits:

SSV's Pro Tip:

1) Make current balances <=0 on each and every account as on Reporting Date ..

Maitain 0 or negative current balances on all accounts to get a boost of about 10 points to your score
Then you may ask what is the purpose of having 45 /50 days of free credit period..
Correct. this may not be useful for those who want to utilise full free credit days, but for those who want to boost their credit score for any other purposes temporarily this is one of the great tools which is in our hand..
I will also tell how to get this 0 utlisation along with availing free credit period to some extent for some bank credit cards..

We all know that different banks report balances on different dates.
We classify them as banks reporting balances as on
1) month end
2) bill generation date

The KEY here is current balances as on REPORTING Date ...
This Reproting date can be month end or bill generation date depending upon the bank.

1) For those that report balances as on month end ie.
AXIS, BOB, HDFC, HSBC, IndusInd, IDFC, Kotak, RBL , Stan C, YES ........
For these banks, make sure your due date falls on 1st of every month, so that means, your statement generation datee should be around 14th of every month so that bill DUE date is around 1st or 2nd of the following month...

In this case, you can have your full amount outstanding as on 14 th, but pay the full amount by 30th of every month..
So at the end, your current oustanding balances should <= 0 as on 30th.. this solves the issue.

2) For those banks who report on bill generation date, there is no escape: you have to pay just before bill generation date and make sure bill amount is <= 0,,,

2) HIGH Credit in CIBIL report:

There is one data item called " HIGH credit " in CIBIL report..
what it means : the highest amount used / billed in any credit account during the life time of that account...

This generally doesn't have any direct impact on the credit score except in the cases of charge cards like amex Gold, Platinum cards etc where there is no set sanctioned limit..
This was applicable until recentlty on HDFC cards as well, but HFDC now reports sanctioned limits to credit bureaus..

However, this data item potentially will be useful for lenders to know more about us with regard to
1) Potential high spender
2) giving better credit limits at the time of application..

I am not sure if the Indian lenders are incorporating this in their credit card application evaluation as of now.. I am sure in future they may use this..

How this should work:
Total amount used ie. debited duiring a staetment period should reprorted as HIGH Credit to the bureaus..

Scenario 1:
Take a case of what I generally do:

I have a card with sanctioned limit of 5L and I use it for 2L in one month and pay in full before the bill generation date.
This is how it will be reprted in this case:

Sanctioned Limit: 5L
High Limit : 2L
Current Balance : 0

This stat should WOW a potential lender towards me.. Why?
I am using 40% of sanctioned limit and paying in full back to account before the bill generation.
Means I am a high spender and very obedient in paying back before bill generation date..
and hence they should love to give me their card with generous limits..

Scenario 2:
Take another example of oppostie side:

Sacntioned limit: 5L
High limit :20K
current balance: 20K

In this case, Bank is wasting sanctioned limit on this person, as he is only using 4% of sacntioned limit ..
So , in this case this customer is not a high spender ( hence not much income to the Bank) and there is no point in giving him higher limits as well ..

As per my observation only SBI and Amex is reprortng this HIGH limit correctly in true sense.
(--EDIT: YES bank is also doing the same as per @reach2dpg )
ie.
same example:
spends of 2L , paying full before bill generation:
SBI and AMEX reported
as CL :5L
High Limit 2L and
Curre balance : 0

where as all other banks reported as
CL :5L
High Limit : 0 and
Curr Balance :0..

For other banks to report correct high limit ,we need to have full balance outstanindg as on bill generation date at least for one statement period....

Look at the example of my ICICI account

1721309965192.webp

In the above example, my highest bill oustanding duirng one statement period was 2.15 L out of 7.7L sanctioned amount ..and current balance is Zero..
Means I am a good boy. A high spender who pays bills before bill generation.. Banks would love persons like these...

So, with regard to HIGH limit:
My TIP:

Use your card just once for a very big amount and get it reported as HIGH limit , and from then on-wards use as per your normal usage...

This post became too big..but I wanted to share all my knowledge as far as CIBIL score is concerned..

All the best guys...

Have fun
Enjoy.....

Last edited:
I was in awe of the post as you have covered, so just didn't read all the comments. Just added the point. Yes many banks consider many things and many scenarios while approving loans/cards etc.
It is good to discuss different points..
May be we can collect some more data about which banks consider this high recent enquiries factor then I can add a line in the main post..
Let me know if you have some additional information about this..
We can alwyas make the first post as much better as possible for future readers..
thanks

Reactions: BVC
It is good to discuss different points..
May be we can collect some more data about which banks consider this high recent enquiries factor then I can add a line in the main post..
Let me know if you have some additional information about this..
We can alwyas make the first post as much better as possible for future readers..
thanks
We can think of adding up. (y)

Reactions: SSV
What’s the ideal bill generation date for cards reporting utilisation on bill generation dates? cards like ICICI OR SBI?
In this case, it is all upto you and your convenience considering how many other cards you have..
as far as cibil reproitng is concerned and their imoact on the score, it doesn't matter at all..
All about your conenience considering what else is going on in your life with respct to financial commitments.

For me, I put everything on either 1 or 2nd except for YES card.. they said I can only have after 12th or soemthing like that. so I kept it as on 18th ie. as it is..
I just want simplicity, as I now have more than 16 cards or so..

Last edited:
Bill generation date as 1st or 2nd ... this is for those banks that report balances as on bill generation date...
My Wife applied for Axis Neo(for her 1st CC). Physical KYC was done. Fingerprint was taken 2times & CIBIL hit 2times as well. CIBIL dropped 30 points from 778 to 748. Today got a mail saying "We regret to inform you we are unable to process the CC application as we have received duplicate request". What to do?

Last edited:
Applied for Axis Neo. Physical KYC was done. Fingerprint was taken 2times & CIBIL hit 2times as well. CIBIL dropped 30 points from 778 to 748. Today I got a mail saying "We regret to inform you we are unable to process the CC application as we have received duplicate request". What to do?
1) Talk to CC first and ask them why they rejected on the basis of duplicate application even though you applied only once and see what they say.
and on this basis you can escalate it to higher authorities later. Try to get one SR raised when you talk to CC
2) your drop of 30 points in score is nothing to do with 2 enquiries, generally speaking….the drop is because of something else.. How old is your credit profile? Is it very new? If so , the enquiries may play a role in the reduction of your score.. but 30 is too much

1) Talk to CC first and ask them why they rejected on the basis of duplicate application even though you applied only once and see what they say.
and on this basis you can escalate it to higher authorities later. Try to get one SR raised when you talk to CC
2) your drop of 30 points in score is nothing to do with 2 enquiries, generally speaking….the drop is because of something else.. How old is your credit profile? Is it very new? If so , the enquiries may play a role in the reduction of your score.. but 30 is too much
Yes 1st CC applied. Credit profile is 9 years with Edu loan & small loans but No CC's yet.

The post by ssv is a detailed one but without any mention of enquiry terminology I felt it's little incomplete.

soft enquiry is only on paper terminology, in real its not using by any of the banks. so, when post mentioned enquiries its always hard enquiries, moreover when no one doing soft enquiry it will be a thing in past or some other country terminology. In India, I didn't see the usage of soft enquiry anywhere, so no need to remind or mention to avoid confusion, IMO.

enquiry usually means the one visible in CIBIL, end user doesn't care whether its soft or hard.

Kiwi card is using soft enquiry to determine eligibility. A hard enquiry is done only after you are found eligible and you apply for the card.

where it shown that as a soft enquiry? could you share screenshot from CIBIL website?

AFAIK, when we talk about CIBIL report, particularly about enquiries, it always leave entry in enquiry section.

whether we call it hard enquiry or not its upto us, CIBIL doesn't show soft enquiry and soft enquiries never visible anywhere. Its only on paper terminology.

Some apps provide free CIBIL report and store our information based on that they may offer their services. Some provide offer based on relationship, some provide offer based on NRV. If we call it as 'soft enquiry' or 'pre-approved' or any other it won't show in CIBIL report.

CIBIL only have enquiries (and some people call it hard) its upto us how we call it.

Last edited:
where it shown that as a soft enquiry? could you share screenshot from CIBIL website?
You have answered your question below.

whether we call it hard enquiry or not its upto us, CIBIL doesn't show soft enquiry and soft enquiries never visible anywhere. Its only on paper terminology.

Some apps provide free CIBIL report and store our information based on that they may offer their services. Some provide offer based on relationship, some provide offer based on NRV. If we call it as 'soft enquiry' or 'pre-approved' or any other it won't show in CIBIL report.

So my CIBIL report dated 20/7 shows data reported by AMEX on 18/6 (18th is my statement generation date) hence the utilisation etc is as on 18/6.

Amex would again report on 18/7, by when can I see this update in Cibil?

Reactions: SSV
Back