• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Comparison of rewards Amex vs HDFC

VijayK

TF Neo
I hold Regalia(~6L CL) and an ICICI LTF card. While trying to increase my spending to apply for DCB, I saw the chatter about Amex cards. I wanted to review my financial portfolio, so I computed returns valuing 1 MR @ 50ps. It seemed that both DCB Metal and Amex Platinum offer similar returns @ 7%

I felt for my personal use cases - shopping with discount offers and 1.5L insurance payment that can't be done with Amazon - Amex may not be a good match.

Then I checked hotel prices for the holiday I would like to take, and to my surprise, the point requirement on both Marriot and IHG appears to be higher than the revenue prices. This tilts the scales favouring DCB, where I can leverage the smartbuy portal.

I am aware of the 75k and 70-30 point cap on HDFC and am okay with it. My spending is not too high, but I can reach the fee waiver for DCB.

What do the experienced here think about it?

I compared the reward point requirement between Marriot properties and IHG for some dates in next December.

1. Marriot (currently 1:1 with Amex) gives a good reward rate of up to 70ps and boosts the reward rate to nearly 9%!
2. IHG makes more sense to book directly with Smartbuy or a secondary option of any other property. Also, I have purchases planned for the later part of the year where HDFC makes more sense, considering their cashback offers.

I am confused about whose reward points are more versatile and valuable if we use them for hotel/flight booking.

If Amex MR makes more sense, I would rather not spend on Regalia and try the lottery for DCB.

To shortlist, here's what you have to do ..

- Where you spend and which network they accept.
- Any of those spend categories can be purchased on smartbuy or reward multiplier.
- Possibility of achieving milestones.

Based on this calculate number of points you achieve for apprx. 4L spends (consider both smartbuy, and rm)

and then do your calculation of what you think about 1MR or 1RP value.

And deduct annual fee, if you're paying.

best one which gives decent % is your pick.

Last edited:
Back