• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Credit card bill payment issue

SwipeSavvy

TF Select
VIP Lounge
What is this nonsense by SBI?

I received this message after I paid my credit card dues. My credit card bill is 3491, the exact amount I am paying.

Dear Cardholder, payment of Rs.3,491.00 made towards your SBI Credit Card XXxxxx on 19-06-24 could not be processed as the amount paid is more than the outstanding amount. Your payment has been returned to the source account. To check your outstanding amount, login to our Website / Mobile App.

How can I make the payment if they are going to reverse it anyway?

You can make Cred responsible for this and can claim charges, if levied but strong fight required.

Bro, via BBPS, it's instant. Before it was happening like that when they used to pay via NEFT or some other mode.

But the matter is, your payment was not successful.

Your due amount was in decimal? Was it a whole number?

I didn't mean that you're spending more than you card limit. 😂

Just rechecked and there was no decimal. Was wondering how come CRED showed 1 rupee more..

SBI will not allow you to pay 180k or more than Current Outstanding.

Open SBI Card App and click Pay Now and enter 180k. There it will show maximum Amount you can pay. Pay that Amount and also take screenshot of that screen for future if they Deduct any charges.
Just checked and here are the screenshots..

1st image is the one which shows 3 amounts. When I selected 180740, I got an error message saying I cannot pay more than 179209.90. Now don't understand how this figure was arrived at.

Just want a confirmation that I will get refund of already paid amount to pay again.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240901_205704_SBI Card.webp
    Screenshot_20240901_205704_SBI Card.webp
    55.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20240901_210304_SBI Card.webp
    Screenshot_20240901_210304_SBI Card.webp
    46.1 KB · Views: 8
A valid point that I learnt today.

I forgot to mention one more scenario. There is a refund of 10K also which makes total due as 170740. So should I pay 170740 or 180740 as per statement.
This is the culprit of your failure message. If had paid the total outstanding - refund, payment would've been processed. You can only wait for now, at least refund paid the minimum amount for you.

Or ask any family member/friend to settle the payment, you will get the refund eventually in few days.

Just rechecked and there was no decimal. Was wondering how come CRED showed 1 rupee more..

1st image is the one which shows 3 amounts. When I selected 180740, I got an error message saying I cannot pay more than 179209.90. Now don't understand how this figure was arrived at.
See Current Outstanding.

Max Allowed Amount is Exactly 5% more than Current Outstanding as I Said.

For some user they do not even allow single paisa extra.
Just want a confirmation that I will get refund of already paid amount to pay again.

Thanks.
You will get Refund from Cred.

Pay Current Outstanding as of Now.

No doubt cred is at fault to fetch due amount with ₹1 more, if it's true.

For such reasons I said to view the amount via offical mode; Mobile/ Internet Banking. Not, only this, you didn't mention that there was some refund also on your original post. That is one of the essential fact.
Screenshot_20240901-232028.webp

Thanks.
You will get refund, no doubt.

But can't say, the refund will get credited within 2 days for sure. It may or may not.

Better to pay atleast MAD or if you can pay the full amount.

Earlier, I didn't mean to say, don't spend more than credit limit, it's not practically possible, rather I meant to say spend half of your bank balance so that you don't need to wait for refund to make the payment again. Or else, when you spend much then pay the amount 7-10 days before, so that if somehow it will fail, you can get the refund in time, which you can use to pay again.

What is this nonsense by SBI?

I received this message after I paid my credit card dues. My credit card bill is 3491, the exact amount I am paying.

Dear Cardholder, payment of Rs.3,491.00 made towards your SBI Credit Card XXxxxx on 19-06-24 could not be processed as the amount paid is more than the outstanding amount. Your payment has been returned to the source account. To check your outstanding amount, login to our Website / Mobile App.

How can I make the payment if they are going to reverse it anyway?
How much it take to refund the amount from the SBI card to our account.
I have paid through the Cred app. the amount has not been yet reflected into my account.

Team, I tried to pay my SBI Card payment today morning from Cred app. The due amount as per last statement was Rs 180740. But while paying from Cred, it showed 180741 (don't know why and how).

When I paid, the amount got deducted from bank account, but no message from SBI for more than an hour.

Later, I got the message saying "Dear Cardholder, payment of Rs.180,741.00 made towards your SBI Credit Card XXyyyy on 01-09-24 could not be processed as the amount paid is more than the outstanding amount. Your payment has been returned to the source account. To check your outstanding amount, login to our Website / Mobile App."

Will I contacted Cred, they say that there is no issue with payment and it may take 2 working days to get credited onto my card.

What are my options now.. Tomorrow is due date.

If payment gets credited even on 3rd Sept but with today's date as payment date, there is no issue.

If it doesn't get updated even after 2 days and then it gets refunded and I need to pay again, then I'll miss due date. Hence to be on safe side, shall I make payment of min amount by tomorrow. This may help if original payment get refunded back and then I can pay balance immediately.

Need options.

Thanks in advance.
@Venkata Ramesh C V This is the exact same issue that happened to me 2 days back. I contacted SBI and they denied of receiving the amount even though I provided the UTR generated by CRED APP. tried multiple times on CRED to contact support however the app just gave a standardized chatbot response that within 2 days it will reflect at the SBI side. Tried over X & linkedin to reach CRED support and they gave the same template response. Day by day I am losing hope of receiving that amount. ANy luck at your end in getting the refund from the bank?

@Venkata Ramesh C V This is the exact same issue that happened to me 2 days back. I contacted SBI and they denied of receiving the amount even though I provided the UTR generated by CRED APP. tried multiple times on CRED to contact support however the app just gave a standardized chatbot response that within 2 days it will reflect at the SBI side. Tried over X & linkedin to reach CRED support and they gave the same template response. Day by day I am losing hope of receiving that amount. ANy luck at your end in getting the refund from the bank?
I too experienced the same issue. Paid on 1st Sept, got sms that it was not processed on 1st itself. Exact same story. On 4th morning also Cred repeated same story. So, I sent a mail to SBI Card about the same and got a reply that they will get back in 3 days. But on 4th afternoon, status in Cred app changed to Failed from Success and finally on 4th night got the refund. Meanwhile, to avoid any late payment charges, I paid the whole amount again after checking on SBI Card app on 2nd Sept. Hope I'm clear. You will definitely get your refund.

I too experienced the same issue. Paid on 1st Sept, got sms that it was not processed on 1st itself. Exact same story. On 4th morning also Cred repeated same story. So, I sent a mail to SBI Card about the same and got a reply that they will get back in 3 days. But on 4th afternoon, status in Cred app changed to Failed from Success and finally on 4th night got the refund. Meanwhile, to avoid any late payment charges, I paid the whole amount again after checking on SBI Card app on 2nd Sept. Hope I'm clear. You will definitely get your refund.
Thanks @Venkata Ramesh C V for the response. I am just waiting. A big lesson from this situation.

I've raised this issue today:

I wrote this letter to SBI Card today. Has anyone faced a real life situation like this?

Dear Sir/Madam:
I am writing to you to seek a clarification regarding payment of outstandings on cards and thereafter seeking the BO Office clarification on interpretation
of the legal circular for the same. I have spoken to the customer care supervisor on phone and now elucidating the issue which has now risen posing a problem both for the bank and the customer. Please note that your response shall be used in the BO Office letter and you may take the help of supervisors and/or other teams at SBI Card.

Please note I am not using a real example but a hypothetical example in order to bring clarity to this issue regarding RBI circular and its interpretation:

My example is thus:

i) Rs. 10,000/- is mentioned as the total outstanding on my credit card bill with Statement date of 16/MM/YYYY with a due date of 05/MM+1/YYYY. (eg.
Statement of 16/01/2024 with a due date of 05/02/2024).
ii) I schedule a payment via NEFT with my bank on 16th itself to be made on 02/MM+1/YYYY. iii) I do not use the card in between.
iv) Before 02/MM+1/YYYY, a merchant issues a partial refund of Rs. 200 against product purchased.
v) Bank successfully carries out the NEFT instruction to transfer Rs 10,000 on 02/MM+1/YYYY to SBI.
vi) Due to the inteerpretation of outstanding as per RBI circular, SBI rejects the payment of Rs. 10,000 and sends it back to source. SBI Card systems will
only accept Rs. 9800/- as the payment and not a single paise more.
vii) The reversal is not noticed by me since payment return alerts are not
sent by any bank.
viii) On the next statement date of 16/M+1/YYYY, interest charges on the Rs. 9,800 with GST is levied. Credit bureuas are informed that I am a default.
Other banks increase then loan costs to me due to being a defaulter.

In the above example, I would like you to please:
(i) Confirm if the above is a plausible scenario
(ii) Please mention the relevant RBI Circular and clauses relied on for the interpretation that no amount in excess of outstanding shall be accepted.

I've raised this issue today:

I wrote this letter to SBI Card today. Has anyone faced a real life situation like this?

Dear Sir/Madam:
I am writing to you to seek a clarification regarding payment of outstandings on cards and thereafter seeking the BO Office clarification on interpretation
of the legal circular for the same. I have spoken to the customer care supervisor on phone and now elucidating the issue which has now risen posing a problem both for the bank and the customer. Please note that your response shall be used in the BO Office letter and you may take the help of supervisors and/or other teams at SBI Card.

Please note I am not using a real example but a hypothetical example in order to bring clarity to this issue regarding RBI circular and its interpretation:

My example is thus:

i) Rs. 10,000/- is mentioned as the total outstanding on my credit card bill with Statement date of 16/MM/YYYY with a due date of 05/MM+1/YYYY. (eg.
Statement of 16/01/2024 with a due date of 05/02/2024).
ii) I schedule a payment via NEFT with my bank on 16th itself to be made on 02/MM+1/YYYY. iii) I do not use the card in between.
iv) Before 02/MM+1/YYYY, a merchant issues a partial refund of Rs. 200 against product purchased.
v) Bank successfully carries out the NEFT instruction to transfer Rs 10,000 on 02/MM+1/YYYY to SBI.
vi) Due to the inteerpretation of outstanding as per RBI circular, SBI rejects the payment of Rs. 10,000 and sends it back to source. SBI Card systems will
only accept Rs. 9800/- as the payment and not a single paise more.
vii) The reversal is not noticed by me since payment return alerts are not
sent by any bank.
viii) On the next statement date of 16/M+1/YYYY, interest charges on the Rs. 9,800 with GST is levied. Credit bureuas are informed that I am a default.
Other banks increase then loan costs to me due to being a defaulter.

In the above example, I would like you to please:
(i) Confirm if the above is a plausible scenario
(ii) Please mention the relevant RBI Circular and clauses relied on for the interpretation that no amount in excess of outstanding shall be accepted.
(1) You are at fault here. SBI considers the refund as a payment towards your credit card bill.

However, not all banks follow this rule, for example HDFC does not.

You can request SBI Card to waive those charges, but I'm not sure if they'll consider it, especially since they getting a pretty good amount. Honestly, I'm also surprised you didn't notice that you hadn’t paid last month’s bill? I understand you had autopay set up, but how come you are so busy that you haven't checked after the due date to confirm everything was processed correctly or not.

As for your CIBIL score, unfortunately, nothing can be done about that. But, at least try to approach SBI card, who knows maybe it's your lucky day.

(2) Here you go: Scenario 2 is your case

Capture.webp

Source: https://rbi.org.in/Scripts/BS_ViewMasDirections.aspx?id=12300

(1) You are at fault here. SBI considers the refund as a payment towards your credit card bill.

However, not all banks follow this rule, for example HDFC does not.

You can request SBI Card to waive those charges, but I'm not sure if they'll consider it, especially since they getting a pretty good amount. Honestly, I'm also surprised you didn't notice that you hadn’t paid last month’s bill? I understand you had autopay set up, but how come you are so busy that you haven't checked after the due date to confirm everything was processed correctly or not.

As for your CIBIL score, unfortunately, nothing can be done about that. But, at least try to approach SBI card, who knows maybe it's your lucky day.

(2) Here you go: Scenario 2 is your case

View attachment 68075

Source: https://rbi.org.in/Scripts/BS_ViewMasDirections.aspx?id=12300
Thanks for the info.
I have two questions on this.
1) If I am making a payment which is in excess of the TAD, whether if I am rounding off a payment or if I have received a partials refunds/credits, why should SBI bounce these payments? If at all, it should adjust against the next month.
2) Also you would be correct if you assume that I am net savvy, or I am checking with the car unbilled statements every other day, and if my payment bounces, I am immediately made aware. This holds true especially for people who traditionally uses the card, gets a statement, and writes a cheque.
However, if I am not those, then the price for not making an exact payment is huge.
So SBI does not encash the cheque because it is now in excess of TAD?

Essentially, these practices (by SBI cards) are against consumer rights where a payment is legitimately paid, but not received resulting in interest, fines, taxes and negative CIBIL reporting.

Your thoughts?

Thanks for the info.
I have two questions on this.
1) If I am making a payment which is in excess of the TAD, whether if I am rounding off a payment or if I have received a partials refunds/credits, why should SBI bounce these payments? If at all, it should adjust against the next month.
2) Also you would be correct if you assume that I am net savvy, or I am checking with the car unbilled statements every other day, and if my payment bounces, I am immediately made aware. This holds true especially for people who traditionally uses the card, gets a statement, and writes a cheque.
However, if I am not those, then the price for not making an exact payment is huge.
So SBI does not encash the cheque because it is now in excess of TAD?

Essentially, these practices (by SBI cards) are against consumer rights where a payment is legitimately paid, but not received resulting in interest, fines, taxes and negative CIBIL reporting.

Your thoughts?
(1) Previously, it was possible to pay an excess amount to your CC to purchase a product that exceeded your credit limit (CL).

Example: Let's say your SBI credit card has a limit of ₹50K and you wanted to buy something for ₹52K, you could pay an additional ₹2000 to the card, which effectively increases your limit to ₹52K, and then you could make the purchase without any issues.

But sooner or later, SBI figured this practice and introduced a feature called the "Overlimit Facility"

Now you may wonder why?

Because it allows them to profit from this situation by charging fees for exceeding the limit. Many people still use this service, so it's beneficial for both parties: the customer can still make their purchase, and SBI can earn extra money. Win-win for both.

(2) The first answer explains why this practice is no longer allowed, and it’s not a violation of consumer rights bhai. They do received your payment, but it was more than what they required so they bounced it.

When you hold a credit card with a bank, it’s your responsibility to stay updated on the bank's terms and conditions (T&Cs). If you don’t, you may encounter similar issues with other banks in the future.

My last cents: Your best option now is to request SBI to waive those charges. Don’t delay, as the longer you wait, the more interest they will accrue.

Eventually, the amount could become quite big, and SBI will not be willing to negotiate with you.

If you’re considering raising this issue with the RBI, just keep in mind that it might not be very effective. When it comes to SBI, the RBI often overlooks such complaints.

Good luck.

(1) Previously, it was possible to pay an excess amount to your CC to purchase a product that exceeded your credit limit (CL).

Example: Let's say your SBI credit card has a limit of ₹50K and you wanted to buy something for ₹52K, you could pay an additional ₹2000 to the card, which effectively increases your limit to ₹52K, and then you could make the purchase without any issues.

But sooner or later, SBI figured this practice and introduced a feature called the "Overlimit Facility"

Now you may wonder why?

Because it allows them to profit from this situation by charging fees for exceeding the limit. Many people still use this service, so it's beneficial for both parties: the customer can still make their purchase, and SBI can earn extra money. Win-win for both.

(2) The first answer explains why this practice is no longer allowed, and it’s not a violation of consumer rights bhai. They do received your payment, but it was more than what they required so they bounced it.

When you hold a credit card with a bank, it’s your responsibility to stay updated on the bank's terms and conditions (T&Cs). If you don’t, you may encounter similar issues with other banks in the future.

My last cents: Your best option now is to request SBI to waive those charges. Don’t delay, as the longer you wait, the more interest they will accrue.

Eventually, the amount could become quite big, and SBI will not be willing to negotiate with you.

If you’re considering raising this issue with the RBI, just keep in mind that it might not be very effective. When it comes to SBI, the RBI often overlooks such complaints.

Good luck.
It's plain stupidity or rather a malpractice. What do they expect that if I receive some cashbacks/refunds than I should sit with calculator to adjust all these numbers from statement due amount and pay the exact number because even ₹1 less will penalise me or ₹1 more will result in reversing the payment. Ideally, they should return the excess amount paid not the full amount.

It's plain stupidity or rather a malpractice. What do they expect that if I receive some cashbacks/refunds than I should sit with calculator to adjust all these numbers from statement due amount and pay the exact number because even ₹1 less will penalise me or ₹1 more will result in reversing the payment. Ideally, they should return the excess amount paid not the full amount.
No need of using calculators. Just before payment, just check overall/total outstanding and pay that amount.

I too faced this issue as posted earlier. My payment of Rs 1.8L got bounced. After posting it here, understood the logic. I immediately paid min balance amount first to make sure there is a payment made before due date. I somehow arranged the balance amount and then paid it excluding the minimum balance on the due date itself. I got the payment refunded on 4th night while I first paid on 1st when the payment failed with my due date as 2nd. I will be careful going forward. A big lesson learnt. Hope this helps. Thanks.

Guys, you aren't getting this.
This is not a real example. Its an example of how the bank is using misinterpretation of the RBI's circular to further its own interests.

My plan is to get the Ombudsman involved and thereafter sue the RBI, if required, in a writ and implement the policy change.

Recently, I filed had filed the petition against the Ombudsman, RBI along with HDFC Bank. After 1 1/2 years, the bank not only reinstated my credit card but also reinstated the reward points. Banks says Ombudsman forced us. We will comply.

What SBI doing here is absolutely unjust. Any and all over banks T&Cs are overidden by any policy. So, unequitable provisions of MITC, etc. cannot be enforced. If I were to file another case, I would prefer if the same is not in my name.

On one hand, they don't take Re 1 more citing RBI policy of not accepting payments over the "oustanding" amount. On the other hand, they are looking into the definition of TAD as per the circular you sent earlier. The customer is being squeezed in between. They also charge Rs 100/- as a cheque payment fee. All this is unreasonable from a banking standard point of view.

Copy of the withdrawal order.
@anirbansen If you can provide you petition pdf as well.

Good job aap dono ko court ghasite wo bhi khudse, BO bhi soch samjh ke decision lega jab biased hoke ya unreasonable decision le leta hai bina cross check kiye ya complaint se argument liye bina...

Jada behatar rehta jab aap court mein hi HDFC se aggreement (compromise) karte and then, ussi terms & conditions ko court se pass kar wa lete (consent decree) ...

Further explain your case:
Recently, I filed had filed the petition against the Ombudsman, RBI along with HDFC Bank. After 1 1/2 years, the bank not only reinstated my credit card but also reinstated the reward points.

Last edited:
Back