• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Does all bank mobile apps work outside India

gowmara

TF Buzz
Does all bank mobile apps work outside India especially USA. I remember few of mobile apps required mandatory location access

gowmara

TF Buzz
Jio also works flawlessly without international roaming pack. For this, go to myjio app > menu > profit and settings > international roaming >activate

Without roaming pack, charges will be pay as you go rates as mentioned on jio website
You will receive SMS but to send SMS and use Internet u need international roaming

gowmara

TF Buzz
The ICICI iMobile app WILL kick you out if you replace the SIM card. It will also log you out if you disable the Indian SIM to save battery (!!!)

Re-enabling the SIM will not revive the login session, you'll have to send a SMS at international cost. I learned this the hard way.

No such problem with IDFC, HDFC, Amex, Kotak.
It’s always best not to remove Indian sim and have all the app’s registration in India itself . Just we need to connect to any WiFi internationally and use it. Also we need to enable international roaming (not to activate any pack)

Am I right

sharpened

TF Select
It’s always best not to remove Indian sim and have all the app’s registration in India itself . Just we need to connect to any WiFi internationally and use it. Also we need to enable international roaming (not to activate any pack)

Am I right
I do not remove the Indian SIM. I just got to Settings > SIM > Disable since dual SIM eats battery like crazy.

In some countries like Vietnam, Jio has partnered with the worst local carriers (probably to save money) so the reception is really bad. That can have a big impact on your battery, especially if you're also a tourist using Google Maps all day.

Even though the Indian SIM remains physically inside the phone, disabling it makes ICICI's app log me out. The only solution is to avoid opening iMobile while Indian SIM is disabled, but I don't have that presence of mind over 30-60 days of travel.

Chiraggyl

TF Buzz
Jio also works flawlessly without international roaming pack. For this, go to myjio app > menu > profit and settings > international roaming >activate

Without roaming pack, charges will be pay as you go rates as mentioned on jio website
IMG_8656.jpeg
It’s still showing to purchase IR pack.. does it work for messages? Does this include chargeable incoming calls?

telescope

TF Ace
IMG_8656.jpeg
It’s still showing to purchase IR pack.. does it work for messages? Does this include chargeable incoming calls?
Incoming messages will be free. Incoming calls will come but without main balance, you won't be able to pick up incoming calls, nor make outgoing calls. For that, you need to recharge topup. Pay-as-you-go rates will be deducted from topup balance.

vine

TF Premier
Do not forget to

ADD your email-Ids to get OTPs (in addition to phones - Indian n Foriegn) from your CC banks - almost all of them have that option.

EXPLORE NON-OTP options to do banking trxns - like SBI's SECURE-OTP. When activated, you can generate your own OTPs wherever you are. Safest bet.
I did not knew we could receive OTP in email or non-SMS OTP is possible.
(I do get OTP for SBI card in email but that was enabled by default).
I use many international sites with TOTP, but none of India's banking websites or apps have allowed this option. Entering a time-based passcode is absolutely simple rather than waiting for SMS.

telescope

TF Ace
I did not knew we could receive OTP in email or non-SMS OTP is possible.
(I do get OTP for SBI card in email but that was enabled by default).
I use many international sites with TOTP, but none of India's banking websites or apps have allowed this option. Entering a time-based passcode is absolutely simple rather than waiting for SMS.
ICICI allows TOTP in imobile app

sharpened

TF Select
The ICICI iMobile app WILL kick you out if you replace the SIM card. It will also log you out if you disable the Indian SIM to save battery (!!!)

Re-enabling the SIM will not revive the login session, you'll have to send a SMS at international cost. I learned this the hard way.

No such problem with IDFC, HDFC, Amex, Kotak.
To add to this, I'm in Japan right now and disabled Jio. When I opened the HDFC app, it asked me to re-verify SIM because I had it disabled.

However, enabling the Jio SIM and restarting the app let me login as usual. ICICI would have logged me out permanently in this scenario.