• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Does all bank mobile apps work outside India

gowmara

TF Buzz
Does all bank mobile apps work outside India especially USA. I remember few of mobile apps required mandatory location access

D₹V

TF Prestige
Yes, many apps required. But I prefer not giving them access.

Still won't confirm about USA thing because they can easily detect IP & device timezone etc.

In USA from Oct22 to Jan23. All apps work provided the related SIM is on International Roaming. Credit Card Apps also work - most of them have option of including an international/non-Indian SIM Number so that needed SMSs/OTPs can also be recieved on such International number in addition to the regular Indian SIM.

BE CAREFUL : If you remove the Indian SIM from the registered phone - you will have a lot of problem in RE-REGISTERING these banking/CC apps. AVOID DOING THIS.

AIRTEL works butter smooth in USA even without taking an International Roaming facility. They charge per call basis - which is OK. In case you want it, you can buy an international roaming pack online (even from there) n it always works fine.

But, JIO SIM will NOT work - unless you buy AND ACTIVATE INTERNATIONAL ROAMING PACK FROM INDIA - BEFORE YOU LEAVE FOR USA. Online booking n activation is NOT possible from USA.

Someone else in India CAN buy an international roaming pack for your AIRTEL NUMBER already present IN USA. But, such a thing is NOT POSSIBLE for JIO SIM.

gamersgzb

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
AIRTEL works butter smooth in USA even without taking an International Roaming facility. They charge per call basis - which is OK. In case you want it, you can buy an international roaming pack online (even from there) n it always works fine.

But, JIO SIM will NOT work - unless you buy AND ACTIVATE INTERNATIONAL ROAMING PACK FROM INDIA - BEFORE YOU LEAVE FOR USA. Online booking n activation is NOT possible from USA.

Someone else in India CAN buy an international roaming pack for your AIRTEL NUMBER already present IN USA. But, such a thing is NOT POSSIBLE for JIO SIM.
Jio international roaming can also be activated from international locations.. my colleagues did that when we were on an onsite assignment.. they were connecting to cc team on WhatsApp and then getting the required setting so that they can receive the OTP s (free roaming like Airtel) ... but yes it will take 4-5 days.. better to activate the roaming here only

Jio international roaming can also be activated from international locations.. my colleagues did that when we were on an onsite assignment.. they were connecting to cc team on WhatsApp and then getting the required setting so that they can receive the OTP s (free roaming like Airtel) ... but yes it will take 4-5 days.. better to activate the roaming here only
Airtel has tie ups with almost all major telecom companies in USA. So, it is smooth n glitch-free roaming. Almost always automatic. 4G n 5G.

Jio coverage is erratic n depending upon which state in USA and the local carrier in that state. You need to configure your phone manually.

Relatively speaking Jio is OK. But, Airtel is far better n fully automated roaming.

Do not forget to

ADD your email-Ids to get OTPs (in addition to phones - Indian n Foriegn) from your CC banks - almost all of them have that option.

ENABLE auto bill payment for electricity bills (and other mandatory payments) - so that when abroad you are free of those issues.

CONSIDER the time differences when you need to call/contact your banks/friends... anyone back home for any help.

EXPLORE NON-OTP options to do banking trxns - like SBI's SECURE-OTP. When activated, you can generate your own OTPs wherever you are. Safest bet.

lightwaves

TF Premier

Yes, I can confirm that Airtel works even if you dont have a Roaming pack activated. You can receive SMS(OTP and other also). For Jio, you need to recharge a Roaming pack while you're in India before you depart to your destination.

gamersgzb

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Yes, I can confirm that Airtel works even if you dont have a Roaming pack activated. You can receive SMS(OTP and other also). For Jio, you need to recharge a Roaming pack while you're in India before you depart to your destination.
Although there is a way in jio also to activate this free international roaming.. my colleagues did it via help from customer care team.. but you will need some one in India to help you out..

sharpened

TF Select
The ICICI iMobile app WILL kick you out if you replace the SIM card. It will also log you out if you disable the Indian SIM to save battery (!!!)

Re-enabling the SIM will not revive the login session, you'll have to send a SMS at international cost. I learned this the hard way.

No such problem with IDFC, HDFC, Amex, Kotak.

The ICICI iMobile app WILL kick you out if you replace the SIM card. It will also log you out if you disable the Indian SIM to save battery (!!!)

Re-enabling the SIM will not revive the login session, you'll have to send a SMS at international cost. I learned this the hard way.

No such problem with IDFC, HDFC, Amex, Kotak.
Thank you for this important info. In international travel we should always bring a small powerbank for emergencies.

Last edited:

telescope

TF Ace
JIO SIM will NOT work - unless you buy AND ACTIVATE INTERNATIONAL ROAMING PACK FROM INDIA - BEFORE YOU LEAVE FOR USA. Online booking n activation is NOT possible from USA.

Jio also works flawlessly without international roaming pack. For this, go to myjio app > menu > profit and settings > international roaming >activate

Without roaming pack, charges will be pay as you go rates as mentioned on jio website