• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

EMI With Interest Cancellation

I know we can cancel No Cost EMI and still avail the instant discount that they offer to offset the interest component in EMI. However, I want to purchase something where there is no option of No Cost EMI (but additonal 2500 off on regular EMI). What happens if I take this option and later convert EMI to regular spends? How much will I be charged? Will I be charged what was to be the total amount including interest?

For example, say, product cost is 27000.

With EMI, there is an instant discount of 2500, meaning product price becomes 24500. However, there is no option of No Cost EMI. So, the options are (hypothetically):

1. 8500 EMI for 3 months (Total- 25500)
2. 3000 EMI for 9 months (Total- 27000).

In both of these cases, what happens if I take it on EMI but cancel it with the bank later? Will I be charged 22500 or 25500/27000 (depending on the tenure I chose)?

Bank is IDFC for reference.

I know we can cancel No Cost EMI and still avail the instant discount that they offer to offset the interest component in EMI. However, I want to purchase something where there is no option of No Cost EMI (but additonal 2500 off on regular EMI). What happens if I take this option and later convert EMI to regular spends? How much will I be charged? Will I be charged what was to be the total amount including interest?

With EMI, there is an instant discount of 2500, meaning product price becomes 24500. However, there is no option of No Cost EMI. So, the options are (hypothetically):

In both of these cases, what happens if I take it on EMI but cancel it with the bank later? Will I be charged 22500 or 25500/27000 (depending on the tenure I chose)?

I also want to know

Whatever you've been charged at the OTP Page will be the amount in credit card after EMI cancellation.

Bank might take cancellation or other fees like GST, hope you're aware.

That's what I understand.

@xywowowvw might answer.

You would be charged the principal amount, whatever that is, without any interest. Caveat being you close the emi asap and the card is not of SBI.

This work for any emi purchase, online or offline, no-cost one or interest one. Just that be aware that some banks (like SBI) charge a pretty penny to close the loan early but that's about it. It has been confirmed that Kotak, ICICI, HDFC and AXIS, don't charge anything for closing the emi.
What about OneCard ?

First Call IDFC to know if they allow cancellation of "MERCHANT EMI" .

If yes, then Upon Cancellation You will have to pay the Amount which is mentioned in Txn SMS along with GST and Processing Fee if not reversed by Bank.

If no, then Foreclosure Option is always there irrespective of Bank.
In case of Foreclosure, Bank will charge
3-5%(Including GST) of Outstanding Principal Amount at the time of Placing ForeClosure Request.

This work for any emi purchase, online or offline, no-cost one or interest one. Just that be aware that some banks (like SBI) charge a pretty penny to close the loan early but that's about it. It has been confirmed that Kotak, ICICI, HDFC and AXIS, don't charge anything for closing the emi.
There is trick for SBI too 😜.

Back