• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

HDFC Bank Mis-Selling Insurance Policies in Exchange for Infinia Credit Card

TechnoFinoTechnoFino is verified member.

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
HDFC Bank is known for its top-tier credit card, the HDFC Infinia, one of the best credit cards available in India. Many people go to great lengths to get this card, often finding their own "jugaad" to acquire this super-premium metal card. However, its strict eligibility criteria prevent many from obtaining it—you need an annual income of ₹42 lakhs to qualify for Infinia. While the income requirement is high, some individuals manage to get the card without meeting this official criterion. There are a few alternative ways to obtain the card:

Card-on-Card Basis: HDFC Bank offers the Infinia based on other credit cards you hold and their limits.
Secured Infinia Credit Card: Available against a fixed deposit of ₹10 lakhs.
Total Relationship Value (TRV): HDFC Bank also offers the card based on your overall relationship value with the bank. While no official TRV requirement is mentioned for Infinia, having a TRV of ₹3-5 crore can help you qualify.

However, in recent months, HDFC Bank officials have been mis-selling insurance products to customers in exchange for the HDFC Infinia credit card. You might think that purchasing insurance will boost your TRV, and if that increases, the bank can offer its credit cards against TRV. But the problem lies in how they are selling these insurance products—with promises of the Infinia credit card in return. This is mis-selling, and it raises concerns about ethical banking practices. Is this allowed under IRDAI regulations?

HDFC Bank has been offering fixed income plans, ULIP policies, and various other insurance products in exchange for the HDFC Infinia credit card.

For instance, one of our TechnoFino Community members was offered an Infinia card upgrade with a limit enhancement by his relationship manager, but he had to purchase a ULIP policy, premium worth ₹3 lakhs annually, with a five-year payment term to receive the upgrade.

Such practices raise significant ethical concerns. While selling products like ULIPs is profitable for the bank, promising something in return—such as a credit card—makes the process unethical.

My Advice to Consumers:
There are plenty of excellent credit cards available. If you don’t qualify for the Infinia, explore other options that offer similar rewards. Never purchase insurance products solely to get a credit card. If you genuinely need insurance, go ahead and buy it from your bank or directly—but never do so just to receive something in exchange, especially a credit card.

What's more problematic?
1) Lower Middle class getting Infinia
2) They are buying ULIPs
3) They are getting Infinia based on ULIPs
4) Bank's "unethical" practice. Not sure what's ethical and what's unethical and for whom?

Of course IRDAI doesn't allow this,
And i don't think this is coming down from higher ups to branch employees,
I think branch employees have figured out that people want Premium cards they can't have and they can sell useless financial products in return of getting them approval, for finishing targets and getting bonuses and stuff

It's a classic "i scratch your back you scratch mine" situation

Last edited:
HDFC Bank is known for its top-tier credit card, the HDFC Infinia, one of the best credit cards available in India. Many people go to great lengths to get this card, often finding their own "jugaad" to acquire this super-premium metal card. However, its strict eligibility criteria prevent many from obtaining it—you need an annual income of ₹42 lakhs to qualify for Infinia. While the income requirement is high, some individuals manage to get the card without meeting this official criterion. There are a few alternative ways to obtain the card:

Card-on-Card Basis: HDFC Bank offers the Infinia based on other credit cards you hold and their limits.
Secured Infinia Credit Card: Available against a fixed deposit of ₹10 lakhs.
Total Relationship Value (TRV): HDFC Bank also offers the card based on your overall relationship value with the bank. While no official TRV requirement is mentioned for Infinia, having a TRV of ₹3-5 crore can help you qualify.

However, in recent months, HDFC Bank officials have been mis-selling insurance products to customers in exchange for the HDFC Infinia credit card. You might think that purchasing insurance will boost your TRV, and if that increases, the bank can offer its credit cards against TRV. But the problem lies in how they are selling these insurance products—with promises of the Infinia credit card in return. This is mis-selling, and it raises concerns about ethical banking practices. Is this allowed under IRDAI regulations?

HDFC Bank has been offering fixed income plans, ULIP policies, and various other insurance products in exchange for the HDFC Infinia credit card.

For instance, one of our TechnoFino Community members was offered an Infinia card upgrade with a limit enhancement by his relationship manager, but he had to purchase a ULIP policy, premium worth ₹3 lakhs annually, with a five-year payment term to receive the upgrade.

Such practices raise significant ethical concerns. While selling products like ULIPs is profitable for the bank, promising something in return—such as a credit card—makes the process unethical.

My Advice to Consumers:
There are plenty of excellent credit cards available. If you don’t qualify for the Infinia, explore other options that offer similar rewards. Never purchase insurance products solely to get a credit card. If you genuinely need insurance, go ahead and buy it from your bank or directly—but never do so just to receive something in exchange, especially a credit card.
99% of them are buying ULIPs coz of Infinia FOMO.

With 3L the individual is paying a big chunk in terms of opportunity cost and liquidity crunch

This might be controversial, and don't shoot the messenger here

But i think Infinia is due for a devaluation anytime soon,
Based how many people have gotten their hands on Infinia recently,
How other banks are devaluing cards left and right, including HDFC
How the Benefits and Returns of Infinia seem unsustainable, particularly on LTF cards
And the fact that Infinia Reserve seems to be in works

Now please don't take this as wishful thinking against Infinia, I'm a DCB PVC LTF holder myself
And if Infinia goes down, so will DCB
So i have vested intrest against anything like this happening

ULIP buyers, welcome to the Darwin Awards of finance. Survival of the fittest!

Investing in ULIPs? It's like paying for a lesson in capitalism. Ouch!

ULIP: Unfortunate Loss Investment Plan. Capitalism strikes again!

If you buy a ULIP, you're basically funding the 'survival of the fittest' experiment. Good luck!

Back