• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

HDFC Bank refusing reward points on Credit Card

bhaskar_js

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Hello,

This is my first post in this community although I regularly use this forum for banking information. Recently I am facing an issue with HDFC regarding credit card reward points. I made a purchase of home construction product (Tata Steel TMT rebars) using Tata Steel Aashiyana website (aashiyana[dot]tatasteel[dot]com) on 15.02.2023 for an amount of Rs 2,25,264 using my Regalia card. Later that month my card was upgraded to Diners Black.

On 01.03.2023, I had to make an another purchase in the same website and since Tata Steel Aashiyana website did not accept Diners card, I used my ICICI Rubyx card this time for an amount of Rs 1,00327.

Next month, in March 2023, I received both my credit card statements form HDFC and ICICI and I realized that HDFC did not award any reward points for my transaction dated 15.02.2023 while ICICI did for my transaction dated 01.03.2023 for the same website and same product.

I raised my concern with HDFC by sending mails first to customerservices[dot]cards[at]hdfcbank.com and grievance[dot]redressalcc[at]hdfcbank.com. Later I also sent mails to PriorityRedressal[dot]CreditCards[at]hdfcbank.com and pnohdfcbank[at]hdfcbank.com after my grievances were not resolved. HDFC is refusing reward points by saying that this transaction falls under Government transaction and reward points will not be credited after January 2023. I shared the order confirmation mail from Tata Steel for the transaction, my ICICI credit card statement showing reward points credit proving that this is a retail transaction and not a Government payment but still HDFC replying in each mail plainly that this is a Government transaction.

In my last mails, I even asked HDFC to provide me the MCC code registered at their end for this transaction. HDFC is not providing me the MCC code and simply replying that this is a Government transaction. What to do now. Shall I submit my grievance to Banking Ombudsman or is there any other approach that I can take. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi, yes for me it was MJunction. I used both HDFC and ICICI. Both showed the same and its MCC was under Govt Transaction. May be they have changed their MCC registration. Once you recive your bill statement, please share whether you receive the reward points or not.
As expected, it is marked as government spends. Now I would request you to give me some tips so that i can get my reward points.

While ordering food in swiggy, is the vendor name changed to PPSL retail grocery recently? I was using vouchers for long time and used card today. I know hdfc already tags swiggy already under grocery but didn't know the name change.

Constant communication with HDFC worked. They have agreed to credit the reward points as an one time exception although the transactions were recorded as Govt MCC in their records.
Curious, did you get points as per Regalia RP structure and converted to DCB points or did you get points based on DCB reward rate?

Who helped you means on which mail id you got this postive news?
I malied to PriorityRedressal.CreditCards@hdfcbank.com and sent them my ICICI card statements which were offering reward points for transactions done on same website. There were some 4-5 mail communications. First they refused, but after constant mails they agreed as one time exception based on my credit history with HDFC to offer the reward points. Points were reflected in my next statement.

Curious, did you get points as per Regalia RP structure and converted to DCB points or did you get points based on DCB reward rate?
Reward credit structure of Regalia and Diners is same, i.e., 5 RP per Rs 150. Points were credited in that ratio. Redemption happens at Diners rate 1 RP = 1 Rs.

@bhaskar_js off topic: do you have tata Aashiyana customer care email id or contant details other than the number mentioned on thier site? I am facing some issue regarding cancellation and i have already tried to reach on their number but as expected they are of no help.

Back