• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

HDFC Credit Cards - FD Based.

BVCBVC is verified member.

TF Prestige
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Dear Community,

I had some issues in the past with HDFC Credit cards in 2015. They issued me credit card in 2013 and it got renewed in 2016, But I didn't collect the credit card as I moved out of Chennai to Bangalore. But they are saying that some payments are pending and kept it as delinquent account due to missed payments within due time which didn't happen actually with my knowledge. With that reason they are rejecting my Credit Card applications (2 rejected till now with same reason). I do hold preferred account with them with good account balance and transactions, but they are not offering credit card.

Now they are offering FD based credit card (3.5L - Regalia, 13L - Infinia). After 6-9 months of good usage they are telling they will provide Floater Credit card which will be different from the existing credit card, then you can close your FD credit card (For Ex, If we take Infinia now with 13 L FD, they wont give Infinia they may give Regalia, But if we take Regalia now they may give Diners Privilege or Diners Black depends on the usage and getting Infinia in that way will be around 3 years from now).

My Credit Card Portfolio:

ICICI Emeralde, Axis Magnus, Axis Vistara Infinite, Axis Privilege, SBI Prime, Citi Premier Miles, ICICI Coral, ICICI Amazon Pay, One Card, RBL Play Card

Can someone suggest me how to proceed from here. @TechnoFino Sumanta Hope you will be helpful on this issue.

Last edited:
Thanks, I have a Amazon Pay ICICI Card, it does the job, my need for HDFC card actually was for the various cashback offers specially on Amazon/FK and Apple devices.
Then why don't you make the fd in a family member name. If it for occasion use, do 1.2L fd. You might get millenia. Not sure millenia works in sale or not.

Covid he said
I saw that too. I got surprised how he has 744 score after settlement in recent past.

If it is <2yrs, and that too bad loan from hdfc, most likely he won't get any card if they do hard enquiry.

Anyway connecting directly with people who process the application is best idea. Asm must have their contact details. If they do multiple enquiries (which hdfc generally does for offline applications) and report rejection, then score can decrease significantly.

I saw that too. I got surprised how he has 744 score after settlement in recent past.

If it is <2yrs, and that too bad loan from hdfc, most likely he won't get any card if they do hard enquiry.

Anyway connecting directly with people who process the application is best idea. Asm must have their contact details. If they do multiple enquiries (which hdfc generally does for offline applications) and report rejection, then score can decrease significantly.

HDFC is one of the most horrible, egoistic and unforgivable banks that I have come across.

My first card was with HDFC in 2005, I was just 19 then, had done 1K-1.5K worth of transactions which accidentally slipped my mind & I shifted abroad for my higher before the statement for that period was sent to my address. Card went to collections & I paid the full amount as soon as I got to know of the collections letters. Those buggers did not issue me a card till now !! Would decline every application citing I already have a card in suspended state, when in fact it was paid in full & closed..

Finally, HDFC approved my Tata Neu application a week back, 18 years after this incident & this time I have asked them to cancel the card .. That felt so good when retention tried to convince me to keep the card & I asked them to ….. 😉

HDFC is one of the most horrible, egoistic and unforgivable banks that I have come across.

My first card was with HDFC in 2005, I was just 19 then, had done 1K-1.5K worth of transactions which accidentally slipped my mind & I shifted abroad for my higher before the statement for that period was sent to my address. Card went to collections & I paid the full amount as soon as I got to know of the collections letters. Those buggers did not issue me a card till now !! Would decline every application citing I already have a card in suspended state, when in fact it was paid in full & closed..

Finally, HDFC approved my Tata Neu application a week back, 18 years after this incident & this time I have asked them to cancel the card .. That felt so good when retention tried to convince me to keep the card & I asked them to ….. 😉
As long as the case hasn't gone to collection, you can resolve it. But once collection is involved it gets complicated.

During covid, many people lost job and weren't able to pay emi. But those who settled directly with bank got some cibil hit, still damage was manageable. I know few cases car loan defaulters, who settled directly with bank and their drop was less 100. But those cases went to collection, there score dropped to 100-200. Worse than guy with 1 month history.

Aah damn! the loan was from HDFC infact :cry:
I had a cc from hdfc during my college days, after which I used to it timely paying. Then I got into an accident and forgot about my due amount till they put a lien on my account. I paid in full about a month after lien was put. 8 years later they were sending pre approved offers for a cc. I thought it would get rejected. Infact they increased the offer. Will accept when they offer a better card and hopefully see if they accept.

As long as the case hasn't gone to collection, you can resolve it. But once collection is involved it gets complicated.

Card went to collections & I paid the full amount as soon as I got to know of the collections letters. Those buggers did not issue me a card till now !! Would decline every application citing I already have a card in suspended state, when in fact it was paid in full & closed..

As mentioned in my post, it did go to the collections. It happened way back in 2005 & I was in the UK back then for my Post-Grads .. Paid the entire amount to the last paisa as soon as I became aware of the collection activities. It was a stupid mistake, should not have used the card at all, that too for a few bucks, since I was leaving India for a few years. May be because amount I swiped was so small could have been the only reason it may have skipped my mind.

During covid, many people lost job and weren't able to pay emi. But those who settled directly with bank got some cibil hit, still damage was manageable. I know few cases car loan defaulters, who settled directly with bank and their drop was less 100. But those cases went to collection, there score dropped to 100-200. Worse than guy with 1 month history.
Apart from that HDFC mistake, NEVER had a late payment in about 20 years of Credit history. Never missed a payment during coved or otherwise. In total have 288 closed & active accounts in Cibil till date, lol.

As mentioned in my post, it did go to the collections. It happened way back in 2005 & I was in the UK back then for my Post-Grads .. Paid the entire amount to the last paisa as soon as I became aware of the collection activities. It was a stupid mistake, should not have used the card at all, that too for a few bucks, since I was leaving India for a few years. May be because amount I swiped was so small could have been the only reason it may have skipped my mind.

Apart from that HDFC mistake, NEVER had a late payment in about 20 years of Credit history. Never missed a payment during coved or otherwise. In total have 288 closed & active accounts in Cibil till date, lol.
Main issue is most employees aren't fully trained. They learn minimum thing. Cuz they have already made up their mind to leave the bank after 3 years.

A competent employee can resolve any issue. They are many cases where assigned employee isn't able close old lead. So the customer isn't able to apply fresh.

Plus hdfc has worst system among private banks. My bm isn't able to upgrade my account to preffered. He showed he has sent many reminders, yet they aren't letting him create some portfolio. Without that he can't upgrade my account.

Looks like the only way, will try getting a card on my parents name.
Just gone through your posts.

So, first of all, I can assure you almost all banks will run a credit check / hard enquiry in CIBIL, even for a secured card. The purpose is to check your identity & to pick up potential fraud remarks, wilful defaults etc.

Hence, what you need to understand is that though it is issued against a collateral & works like a prepaid card but still it is a credit product & hence the credit check.

Now, If you do not have any major fraud remarks they will issue the card, even if you have wilful defaults etc & that is the exact reason why most banks give you a limit of 80-90% of your FD amount, so that if you default on your payment they can still recover that money by liquidating the FD.

In most HDFC branches the front office guys are are over worked, arrogant for knowing nothing & most times does not give a damn. The sales guys either lie most times or try to manipulate or have 0 knowledge.

Just, do the FD & apply for the card, in all likelihood you will get it coz HDFC will have your FD as their collateral for the credit they will give you on the card.

Main issue is most employees aren't fully trained. They learn minimum thing. Cuz they have already made up their mind to leave the bank after 3 years.

A competent employee can resolve any issue. They are many cases where assigned employee isn't able close old lead. So the customer isn't able to apply fresh.

Plus hdfc has worst system among private banks. My bm isn't able to upgrade my account to preffered. He showed he has sent many reminders, yet they aren't letting him create some portfolio. Without that he can't upgrade my account.
HDFC is a horror story that most can't seem to get rid of from their lives ! 😁:ROFLMAO:

@BVC Have you been able to upgrade your Tata Neu Plus yet?

Go through this journey. I’m holding Infinia now.

Go through this journey. I’m holding Infinia now.
good to hear you finally made it!

Reactions: BVC
Jan month i converted my FD card to unsecured card , but even though I am having salary account with them i am not getting any limit enhancement offer. Any one successfully converted secured to unsecured card and getting LE offers ?

Jan month i converted my FD card to unsecured card , but even though I am having salary account with them i am not getting any limit enhancement offer. Any one successfully converted secured to unsecured card and getting LE offers ?
Not sure how that works after converting Secured to Unsecured in HDFC.

I have experience with IDFC only.

Not sure how that works after converting Secured to Unsecured in HDFC.

I have experience with IDFC only.
I feel something messed up . More than 70k salary crediting every month . As per secured card rules there shouldn't any upgrade and le offers . So limit remains same . When i requested hdfc , they removed the lien from FD and kept the limit same which I feel they manually removed lien amount but not any other changes . So systems LE offers still disabled .
Because my friends who got cards 6 months ago getting LE offers.

I feel something messed up . More than 70k salary crediting every month . As per secured card rules there shouldn't any upgrade and le offers . So limit remains same . When i requested hdfc , they removed the lien from FD and kept the limit same which I feel they manually removed lien amount but not any other changes . So systems LE offers still disabled .
Because my friends who got cards 6 months ago getting LE offers.
What's your RM take on this??

Back