• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Help choosing Forex card

Fan ruie

TF Neo
It’s my first international trip , will be visiting Japan in month of July-August. I did some research on Forex cards , most of the posts are quite old and don’t know the current situation - most people recommend Niyo card but later saw the SBM international transaction were blocked. Niyo also offers forex card from another bank - Equitas , there isn’t much reviews about it online .
If you have any other card recommendations please let me know -
PS - I think CC won’t be of much use as I’m a student , have one from SBI with monthly limit of 15k. If any other bank offers CC that could have higher limit , do comment

R!ppEr

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
even i used the bookmyforex yes bank forex card recently on my trip and it was quite good, apart from the loading time req, everything was on point!

zero forex charges agreed
but visa will charge higher interbank rates compared to a forex card
and every withdrawal will be charges as it is a credit card

yes, Visa will charge high - Agree.

but Forex card - ATM withdrawal also charging, i have given the below from HDFC Forex card.

Please let me know if I wrongly comparing.

Transaction charges​

CurrencyATM Cash WithdrawalBalance enquiryChargeslip Retrieval
US Dollar (USD)USD 2.00USD 0.50USD 2.00
Euro (EUR)EUR 1.5EUR 0.50EUR 2.50
CHFCHF 2.50CHF 0.60CHF 3.50
GBPGBP 1.00GBP 0.50GBP 1.50
CADCAD 2.00CAD 0.50CAD 3.00
AUDAUD 2.00AUD 0.50AUD 3.00
JPYJPY 250.00JPY 60.00JPY 375.00
SGDSGD 2.70SGD 0.75SGD 4.00
AEDAED 7.00AED 2.00AED 10.50
SEKSEK 15.00SEK 3.50SEK 22.50
*GST as applicable

sxchzy

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
yes, Visa will charge high - Agree.

but Forex card - ATM withdrawal also charging, i have given the below from HDFC Forex card.

Please let me know if I wrongly comparing.

Transaction charges​

CurrencyATM Cash WithdrawalBalance enquiryChargeslip Retrieval
US Dollar (USD)USD 2.00USD 0.50USD 2.00
Euro (EUR)EUR 1.5EUR 0.50EUR 2.50
CHFCHF 2.50CHF 0.60CHF 3.50
GBPGBP 1.00GBP 0.50GBP 1.50
CADCAD 2.00CAD 0.50CAD 3.00
AUDAUD 2.00AUD 0.50AUD 3.00
JPYJPY 250.00JPY 60.00JPY 375.00
SGDSGD 2.70SGD 0.75SGD 4.00
AEDAED 7.00AED 2.00AED 10.50
SEKSEK 15.00SEK 3.50SEK 22.50
*GST as applicable
yes forex cards have a withdrawal charge
so it is suggested to choose the one with lower rates forex cards are preffered over credit cards solely due to lesser interbank rates

I guess when we compare with Forex card, we can go with IDFC WOW credit card.

1. Zero forex
2. there is no interest on cash withdrawal with in the credit period.
3. minimum cash withdrawal charges (199 + Tax).
4. FD based card, we can use 100% of FD as card limit.
5. Multi currency

Most of the forex cards used for single currency then multi currency, have ATM cash withdrawal charges.

Please share your thoughts on this. I also in dilemma on selecting WOW credit card or Forex card.
Can we increase & decrease limits by making/withdrawing FDs as required?

iNokia

TF Premier
even i used the bookmyforex yes bank forex card recently on my trip and it was quite good, apart from the loading time req, everything was on point!
For reloading the card, did you have to upload all the docs again that you uploaded during the first time? Can you explain the reload process a bit.

sm9811911

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
zero forex charges agreed
but visa will charge higher interbank rates compared to a forex card
and every withdrawal will be charges as it is a credit card
"Visa charges higher rate than forex card".
That sounds odd. So odd, I created an account on this site to question this claim. Can you explain this? I have attached usd rates for you using bmf as forex card and visa. For turkish lira, the spreads are outrageous in bmf.

You can take a non usd currency as an example if you like.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-08-15-14-15-48-032_com.brave.browser.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-08-15-14-15-48-032_com.brave.browser.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_2023-08-15-14-15-30-358_com.brave.browser.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-08-15-14-15-30-358_com.brave.browser.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 32

sm9811911

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
It’s my first international trip , will be visiting Japan in month of July-August. I did some research on Forex cards , most of the posts are quite old and don’t know the current situation - most people recommend Niyo card but later saw the SBM international transaction were blocked. Niyo also offers forex card from another bank - Equitas , there isn’t much reviews about it online .
If you have any other card recommendations please let me know -
PS - I think CC won’t be of much use as I’m a student , have one from SBI with monthly limit of 15k. If any other bank offers CC that could have higher limit , do comment
Take either idfc wow if you want to create credit history. Else just open a niyo global or fi infinity account. They have cashback offers as well.
Avoid forex cards, comparatively expensive. I have checked hdfc forex, bookmyforex etc.

codenerd

TF Ace
Can someone clearly explain the process of withdrawals in case of Secured credit cards for FOREX purpose like new Niyo global credit card and IDFC wow? As per my understanding you can definitely keep increasing the FD amount as per your need but after the trip you cannot withdraw/break the amount just because your trip end and that you dont need that card anymore. No one usually talks about this aspect and they all glorify the 0% markup forex stuff but not the fact that whatever money you invest as FD, IT GETS BLOCKED.
Please correct me if I am wrong or please share details and experience with it because internet is mostly filled with the PROS of Niyo aand IDFC Wow but no one clearly talks about its traps!

Kiranonlinee

TF Premier
Can someone clearly explain the process of withdrawals in case of Secured credit cards for FOREX purpose like new Niyo global credit card and IDFC wow? As per my understanding you can definitely keep increasing the FD amount as per your need but after the trip you cannot withdraw/break the amount just because your trip end and that you dont need that card anymore. No one usually talks about this aspect and they all glorify the 0% markup forex stuff but not the fact that whatever money you invest as FD, IT GETS BLOCKED.
Please correct me if I am wrong or please share details and experience with it because internet is mostly filled with the PROS of Niyo aand IDFC Wow but no one clearly talks about its traps!
I think you can submit a card closure request, then fd will be released.

codenerd

TF Ace
I think you can submit a card closure request, then fd will be released.
But I have read somewhere that its not a small/easy process to close and maybe it involves some foreclosure penalty or something. Not quite sure about that.
Also I think card closure means next time you may not be able to request for the card again when we need. Correct me if I am wrong.

sm9811911

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Obviously the one which is cheaper.
But forex card you get to load it before hand.
Visa takes the rate on the settlement date + markup
Yeah, visa is much cheaper. Same goes when you sell unused currency on forex card, so double mark up. And This is for usd. For other currencies spreads are far wider.
There are cards which offer 0 forex mark up like niyo, fi. Plus give some cashback. Credit cards also useful is cashback is greater than mark up.
Also, agree you would be exposed to fx fluctuations, but can go either ways.