• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Home lab setup. Journaling / AMA

That's nice, nice. Ideally with any NAS system, we should setup in RAID. That is, we need min 2 drives.
Just in case if 1 fails, we don't loose data.
The WD red should be in the primary as it is supposed to. It has a severe limitation of slow write and copy of data but your data will be safe as compared to any ssd.

The WD red should be in the primary as it is supposed to. It has a severe limitation of slow write and copy of data but your data will be safe as compared to any ssd.
With drives, (HDD or SSD), it's a matter of when the drives fail, not if the drives fail. We just have to be careful to not loose the data when it fails.
Maybe if you are running SMART tests time to time on your drive, you can estimate their life.
Ref - https://www.howtogeek.com/134735/check-ssd-or-hdd-health-with-smart/

Regarding speed, yes, HDDs are slow, even in that, it depends on RPM, higher RPM is a bit faster in sequential read/writes. SSD is faster but expensive. NVME M.2 is even faster and even more expensive. That's why I have 16TB raw in HDD medium and only 1TB raw in M.2 medium.

With drives, (HDD or SSD), it's a matter of when the drives fail, not if the drives fail. We just have to be careful to not loose the data when it fails.
Maybe if you are running SMART tests time to time on your drive, you can estimate their life.
Ref - https://www.howtogeek.com/134735/check-ssd-or-hdd-health-with-smart/

Regarding speed, yes, HDDs are slow, even in that, it depends on RPM, higher RPM is a bit faster in sequential read/writes. SSD is faster but expensive. NVME M.2 is even faster and even more expensive. That's why I have 16TB raw in HDD medium and only 1TB raw in M.2 medium.
Any recommendations to replace my laptop HDD with a new sata ssd.
Am interested in Crucial BX500 of 500gb or similar cost effective solution.

I personally go for WB green if comparing to that. If you can stretch budget, I would recommend WD Blue. It has higher rated hours and reliability.

I personally go for WB green if comparing to that. If you can stretch budget, I would recommend WD Blue. It has higher rated hours and reliability.
Is it reliable to buy a WD nvme SSD and put it in the enclosure and externally connect to the laptop?
I see enclosures at ₹400 - ₹500.
I know that's not portable.
I don't move my laptop much anyway.
Just want to understand the options.

Is it reliable to buy a WD nvme SSD and put it in the enclosure and externally connect to the laptop?
Yeah, it's completely fine, since it's an SSD and there are no moving parts, it's not a problem. If it were an HDD, I would not recommend.
Also, the enclosures, do check that they are USB3 ones, otherwise you will be restricted to very slow transfer speeds (which kind of defeats the purpose of an SSD).

Me after reading this whole thread 🧵
View attachment 57792
Jal lijiye.
thequint%2F2021-05%2F6b8a3af1-60eb-4ab3-8bc4-8cb061c4c1c5%2FUntitled_design__22_.png

Better to remove HDD and add Sata Ssd atleast, are you going to put your os on an External, portable Nvme drives?

Better to remove HDD and add Sata Ssd atleast, are you going to put your os on an External, portable Nvme drives?
Am actually planning to remove the existing HDD and use a SSD.
I don't trust that old HDD though Smart health shows good.
Since I have a 6+ years old laptop, how to check if it will support Nvme. Probably it won't support.

Am actually planning to remove the existing HDD and use a SSD.
I don't trust that old HDD though Smart health shows good.
Since I have a 6+ years old laptop, how to check if it will support Nvme. Probably it won't support.
NVME uses PCIE lanes, HDD and regular SSD uses SATA lanes, when you are talking about 2.5 inch drive, you are most likely talking about regular SSD only.

Heya folks,
I am starting this thread to just have a general discussion and as a blueprint for anyone who wishes to setup their own homelab.

What's a homelab?​

Well, according to Gemini, it's a collection of computer hardware and software that allows you to learn about and experiment with information technology in a simulated environment. Homelabs can range from a single device to multiple rack-mounted devices.

Why does it belong in TechnoFino?​

TBH, I don't know, I don't personally like reddit and am more active here, so maybe just give it a try here. That's why it's under anything other than Finance part, 🙈.

So, the journaling starts here (Obviously I will try my best to keep this post updated as I keep adding things, it might take up a few months I believe as there are quite a few things I want to setup).

Jun-12​

I received my NAS. Moving all my files to that now.
s23e8cczed1d1.jpeg

(I have a few External Hard disks, about 5TB + 4TB + 2TB + 1TB + 500GB + 500GB) and about 3TB in laptops, which is almost full, the problem is that it is super difficult to organise and I cannot access them remotely. Plus there is another problem of Drive failure, because if any of these drives fail, my data is lost. So, I don't want that, obviously. I have been thinking about it for a few years now, but finally decided to dive into it and get it.

Specs:
- Synology DS923+
- AMD Ryzen R1600
- 4GB RAM (obviously I plan to upgrade this, it is upgradable to 32GB dual channel).
Additionally, I bought 2 Seagate Barracuda Compute 8TB @5400 rpm drives. Right now I have configured at SHR-1 (Which is basically RAID-1 when 2 drives, but as soon as I add another HDD, it will become RAID-3).
(RAID is a way to recover from lost drives, for now even though I have 2 8TB drives, I can loose 1 drive and still my data will not be lost).
Then this can add NVME M.2 for fast storage. So I bought a Western Digital Black 1TB 770 M.2 SSD. That is in RAID-0, which means, if gone, it's gone.
That's like my workspace storage, fast and quick, when I am working on a project, I use that, once done, I move to the HDD.
Right now, moving all the files. Considering I am going to office almost daily, I think this can take a week to complete. Let's see.

Jun-18​

The sync was completed, also I found that Synology has a feature for setting up DNS serves, so just to try, I setup that and obtained SSL certificate from LetsEncrypt so I can access on a subdomain of my website. (Orcourse it's local so nobody from the internet can access that, I need to figure out a way to have VPN access). Even though Synology themselves have VPN Server as an additional software, I don't want to put all these things on the NAS itself as it will make it slow and maybe vulnerable. My storage is already getting filled. I need to soon get more storage. I will clear the Working area drive (M.2) and move data to HDD.

Also, I configured snapshot backups and recycle bin, so if I delete any file, I have 30 days to recover back from the recycle bin before it's deleted, even then I have daily snapshots for 6 months so I can recover post 30 days also.
Also setting up snapshots help because if I get attacked by an ransomware which encrypts all my files, I will have a way to rollback that to a working version which will keep me protected from Ransomware attacks as well. Ideally I need to follow 3-2-1 rule of backup, which will need me to have another storage medium. I will set that up in some time in the future.

View attachment 58044

Also,
My hardware started arriving. I got my first server, a second hand Dell Workstation PC with 8th gen i7, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD.

View attachment 58045

Now I am moving to setup a way to manage the containers, I plan to use portainer for that. That's a very good way to manage docker containers, so that's going to be my orchestrator tool. I also ordered a VPN router and a managed switch.
The VPN router will offload the VPN Services from the NAS and switch I need because I will be adding more devices, I need that as a managed switch because I want to add VLANs to isolate different parts of my network.
Totally a dumb question for a geek like you...
I spend 9k approx for 2tb Dropbox and another 2000 odd for Google one. I want to have a NAS at home... Do you have anything to suggest? Something simple and cheaper and ofcourse reliable as well please.

Back