• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

How much cash can I deposit in bank accounts?Without tax or notice!

doraemon

TF Legend
Hey people
We are purchasing a shop costing 20 lakhs
We have cash and want to deposit that in bank account for cheque issue purpose

How can I deposit in such a way it doesn't not attract tax or it department attention

I have 13 accounts
Can I deposit 49k in each of them?

Need your inputs in this

Solution
Can we open zero balance current account for this purpose?
Without actual business, on individual basis
Online available?
1) you are unnecessarily making things complicated by going thru the option of opening a current account without actual business
2) you only have 20L which is nothing in the scheme of things .. just 4 to 5 sb accounts are more than enough
3) this 1L per day / 2.5 L per day limits are all depends on the bank.. its at bank level restrictions…
4) the more you think about this the more confused and more probability of messing things up..
5) go to CA if you need more assured assistance.
6) Now I will stop spending any more time on this topic…
All the best

Gaara

TF Ace
The cash deposit limit in a savings account as per income tax regulations in India is ₹10 lakh during a financial year. If you deposit more than this amount, it may attract the attention of tax authorities. For those holding current accounts, this reporting threshold is elevated to ₹50 lakh.

Additionally, it’s important to note that you can deposit a maximum of ₹1 lakh per day in your savings bank account. However, the limit can exceed up to ₹2.5 lakh in a day if it’s done once in a while. As far as the annual limit is concerned, the maximum cash that can be deposited in a savings account is ₹10 lakh.

Multiple Accounts
:
You mentioned having 13 accounts. While it’s technically possible to deposit ₹49,000 in each account, you should be cautious. The Income Tax Department monitors transactions, and if they notice a pattern of frequent deposits just below the reporting threshold, it might raise suspicion as accounts could be different but all of them are linked with PAN.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Hey people

How can I deposit in such a way it doesn't not attract tax or it department attention

I have 13 accounts

Need your inputs in this
You are absolutely fine with your strategy of 49k each time into each account … no need to worry..
You only have 20L…

Are these 13 different accounts from 13 different banks ? If so fine.. if not also it's okay.
the rule is if you deposit cash into SB accounts of a single bank for more than 10L during a financial year then it will be reported in SFT section of AIS..

Just make sure you don’t deposit exactly the same amount.. just mix them up like 47.5 k, 48.2k, 49.3k etc ….

Just for you reference these are the different cash transactions that can get IT attention…

1709386875541.png

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Hey people

I have 13 accounts

Need your inputs in this
Better would be to deposit 5-6 lakh in one person account & make 4 cheque.

+ If source of money is white & taxed..

No need to take tension. Open current account - put the money & show as expense. No worries.

Don't do business transaction with Savings account .

Walter White

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
Hey people

I have 13 accounts

Need your inputs in this
Jitna daalna hai daalo. Jab tak explain kar sakte ho funds kaha se aa rhe hai, koi problem nhi hoga.

sidp

TF Ace
Hey people

I have 13 accounts

Need your inputs in this
Banks are required to notify cash deposit of >10L in savings and 50L in current account.
But know that these are mandatory. Bank can notify itd for any amount. If you pay cc bill by cash, even 1L is enough to get notice.

To be safe don't do more than 2/3 L in cash deposit in onebbank. And avoid more than 50K In a day.

Also no of account doesnt matter, no of banks matters and type of account matters.
So you should do few things first. 1st update your income profile in bank. If you have low variant account with profile of a student or unemployed. You have higher chance of getting flagged.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Online available?
1) you are unnecessarily making things complicated by going thru the option of opening a current account without actual business
2) you only have 20L which is nothing in the scheme of things .. just 4 to 5 sb accounts are more than enough
3) this 1L per day / 2.5 L per day limits are all depends on the bank.. its at bank level restrictions…
4) the more you think about this the more confused and more probability of messing things up..
All the best

Solution

sidp

TF Ace
Online available?
Don't open 0 bal account. Lower the account variant higher chance of getting flagged.
You can open current account without actual business, but it won't help as it will be under your pan. Better to get a gumasta card for shop which can be applied online, and open current account against it.

Last edited:

doraemon

TF Legend
All the best
Thanks for your inputs
Now I will go with what u have said

Thanks again😃

kushhh

TF Ace
You are absolutely fine with your strategy of 49k each time into each account … no need to worry..
You only have 20L…

Are these 13 different accounts from 13 different banks ? If so fine.. if not also it's okay.
the rule is if you deposit cash into SB accounts of a single bank for more than 10L during a financial year then it will be reported in SFT section of AIS..

Just make sure you don’t deposit exactly the same amount.. just mix them up like 47.5 k, 48.2k, 49.3k etc ….

Just for you reference these are the different cash transactions that can get IT attention…

1709386875541.png

Wanted to know , what is the case with OD Account

Zacobite

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Hey people

I have 13 accounts

Need your inputs in this
If you buy a shop.. you will need to declare PAN while registration.. So anyway they will expect details in your IT returns.. So no point in all this.. Deposit it in blocks of 1-2 Lacs over a few weeks or maybe some in Mar and some in April now.. ( so it goes in different FY).. You will anyway need to explain source of funds..