• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

ICICI branch employee misguide and misbehave with me today (10 October 2023)

gauravraj

TF Premier
Today 10th of October 2023,

I visited ICICI BANK branch, where tusar aka @Batmanbaba also visited ones( we are from the same city ) in order to open a Regular savings account. Despite having the initial funding and required KYC documents, my request to open an account was denied.

According to the bank official, they will not open an account by this way through branch .Instead, they explained that "an executive would need to visit my Aadhaar address to see my position and financial situation and determine whether I would be able to maintain MAB of 10k or not. The official stated that this procedure was necessary to maintain the bank's reputation as it will bad for their reputation if I failed to maintain 10k.

The official also authenticate my Aadhaar address using a banking tablet with Google Maps. If my address will match exactly then they will proceed account opening."
The executive didn't even take a look at my documents at branch.

Is it the way you treat a new customer?
You can deny my account opening , but the personal insult is too much.

I have never had any prior relationship with ICICI, and I do not intend to establish one in the future.

(Complaint submitted via Facebook)

What I should do in this case ?

Ps- I really felt very bad for being treated like this, as far the question of affordability, I can afford the whole branch along with land and building (franchise and infrastructure too) .

rams

TF Buzz

I visited ICICI BANK branch, where tusar aka @Batmanbaba also visited ones( we are from the same city ) in order to open a Regular savings account. Despite having the initial funding and required KYC documents, my request to open an account was denied.

According to the bank official, they will not open an account by this way through branch .Instead, they explained that "an executive would need to visit my Aadhaar address to see my position and financial situation and determine whether I would be able to maintain MAB of 10k or not. The official stated that this procedure was necessary to maintain the bank's reputation as it will bad for their reputation if I failed to maintain 10k.

The official also authenticate my Aadhaar address using a banking tablet with Google Maps. If my address will match exactly then they will proceed account opening."

I have never had any prior relationship with ICICI, and I do not intend to establish one in the future.

Ps- I really felt very bad for being treated like this, as far the question of affordability, I can afford the whole branch along with land and building (franchise and infrastructure too) .
This is nonsense. Here in my village, Google maps never shows the exact address. Even though, it is normal for banks to send people here to open a SB account, it is not mandatory here. This should be escalated asap.

dvader

TF Premier
This is nonsense. Here in my village, Google maps never shows the exact address. Even though, it is normal for banks to send people here to open a SB account, it is not mandatory here. This should be escalated asap.
My home is so remote, sometimes I dare this M^#*#ers to come to my address. They always say, Sir ab aapke liye kya verification karein, verification to fraud logo ke liye krte h hum log.

quino

TF Ace
RML Group
My home is so remote, sometimes I dare this M^#*#ers to come to my address. They always say, Sir ab aapke liye kya verification karein, verification to fraud logo ke liye krte h hum log.
do they think that those ppl have fraud in their name or something? for them to identify

Predator

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Sorry to hear about this, but these are the tactics they use to lure in customers.

They would not get much from you (as they won't be able to sell you investments, etc). If you go asking for Wealth Management, the scenario would be totally different.

They are trained to assess new customers and to not waste their time if the think they won't exact any profits from it. The make you feel bad about it

Sad thing is (please koi gaali mat dena mujhe), Indian mentality can not accept humiliation from someone we feel is of lower status than us (its a fact, we are egoist) and they play with it.

They would say "sir, 10k MAB would be way too hassle for you and the bank and we want to keep our reputation by having only trusted customers... so if you can provide initial cheque of 5/10L, then I can have a word with BM and make the account opening seamless"... hearing this, you will throw away the amount, just to show him your ego but he has won logically...

This technic is quite old, being used by banks and travel agent/companies at mass in past. Imagine, you sitting with your wife/family and someone says "sir, I think this foreign tour would be costly for you, I suggest going to Goa or some local place"... your ego would get hurt so bad that you would take their highest foreign package, just to keep your ego (and image) in front of your family, but in the end, travel agents have won..

I would suggest you to go to bank again tomorrow, and have a word with Branch Manager first and see his response and take his official email (saying further communication). Irrespective of what he says, mail to "headservicequality@icicibank.com", "pno@icicibank.com" and "senior.management@icicibank.com"... keeping BM email in CC, telling them about the harassment you faced and ask them to take actions (do not mention the wealth you have, for banks its nothing even if you put everything there)

also, ask them to raise formal complaint and to give you Service Request number for tracking..

Hope you take revenge... dvader's idea is good as well.. but they won't care much (unless its rural branch)
True. Actually, sales ppl use this trick everywhere.
My friend once ended up buying 7K Vans shoes (way beyond his capacity) just because a Sales Girl talked him into buying it. My friend initially rejected the product after trying saying it's too costly . She said come again later when your budget is more, good shoes are always costly type stuff.

The idiot immediately bought the shoes saying- Aisi budget ki to koi baat hi nhi hai.

NOOBY

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
My friend once ended up buying 7K Vans shoes (way beyond his capacity) just because a Sales Girl talked him into buying it. My friend initially rejected the product after trying saying it's too costly . She said come again later when your budget is more, good shoes are always costly type stuff.

The idiot immediately bought the shoes saying- Aisi budget ki to koi baat hi nhi hai.
See.... its that simple :p

and if you try to show off then and there "I have blah-blah phone worth Rs.xxx, etc etc" (people tend to do that too), then simple reply from sales rep would be "then there should be no hesitation in buying this" and BAM!!!

either you save ego, or get drowned more 🫥

I had saved 1 guy from this (and he thanked me later too). Lady Sales rep was trying to sell something which he didn't want and the same dialogues started "please visit us again when you have the budget, things are costly right now, we have discounts after 3 months, try your luck then"

I saw how bad he felt. I already had 5/6 items kept aside, called the manager, told him that I won't be buying from such stores where sales rep guilt trips people into buying items which they are not comfortable with. Requested manager to make her say sorry in front of manager and other customers for making their customers feel bad (which she had to), the guy did not buy it and neither did I. Manager told us that he is sorry and if we buy he would give some freebies, but we just left to teach them a lesson.
1367-pepe-feels-good-man.png

CosmicCat

TF Ace
ICICI has been a very sh*tty bank off late. Let me tell you about an experience of my father.

Back in 2021, when my father sold a land, he wanted to invest the whole amount (Around ₹5L) in a Fixed Deposit.

He was already an existing ICICI Bank customer for over 14 years, and has a SBKIT account (Zero balance, no debit card annual charges, no SMS charges, and free IMPS).

But as his home branch was around 8 km away from home, so he contacted the nearest branch (Around 2 km away) to change his home branch to there and invest the aforementioned amount in an FD.

The Assistant Branch Manager visited our house, but instead of changing the branch, he persuaded my dad into creating a new joint account with my mother. They created a Silver account with ₹25K MAB requirement or an FD relationship of ₹1.25L. And then they invested the ₹5L amount into an FD linked to the new account.

He created his new account with a new CIF. With new netbanking credentials. And also he made the new account part of the Privilege Banking program.

Moreover, another employee who came with him, made him create a ULIP of ICICI Prudential Life Insurance with ₹50K annual premium amount (They didn't force it though, but persuaded my dad to create it.)

A few days later, his netbanking of old account wasn't working anymore for NEFT/IMPS transactions, because his mobile number was now linked to the Netbanking of new account! But he resolved it by linking another mobile number to the new account.

Additionally, within days, he noticed that around ₹170 was deducted from the new account for the debit card issuance charges, and ₹118 for NACH autopay registration for the premium they created.

The Assistant Branch Manager didn't inform about the debit card charges at all. Also, his old account was never charged for any debit card annual charges!

Fast forward to one year later, right before the debit card annual charges were going to be deducted, my dad went to the Branch and closed his newly created joint account.

Also, I changed the branch of his old account to the nearest branch via netbanking.

One thing we learnt is, never invite any bank employee to your house. They'll always try to upsell you policies and churn the most out of you.

In your case, if they deny creating an account without visiting your premises, then don't hesitate to deny creating an account with them, too. Or if you really want an account with them, then go to the Branch Manager, and talk to them about the employee.

If it still doesn't work, then make a complaint to the PNO, and if unresolved (Highly unlikely), then to the Managing Director (MD). Whenever you write to the MD, the Branch Manager would handle the case himself. Or the Zonal Head would, depending on the case.

Last edited:

unusedbrain1

TF Premier

Way back in 2020/21 . i went to close my hdfc account bcz i was too teen and unable to maintain. Some guy gave me the form to close but some other guy gave lecture on how i m wasting Bank resources and they won't close it. .Then after 6 month & 2-3 k in negative balance i complain on Twitter but due to lockdown i never went to Branch and branch manager used to call every month 😅. After whole 2 year & -7k in. Account i went there . BM has become my Friend and i never talked with other employees. he removed every -ve balance just paid dc charges. And in 2 month got Cc Pre approved 😁.

unusedbrain1

TF Premier

Talking about your problem U do the complain . And Since u feel have been mis treated . DO. THE complain at every level with every detail . the Branch will call you BuT BUt but. don't talk to anyone Other than Branch manager and Untill that person apologize in front of BM TO you .. never have the mercy . because Maybe he's frustrated bcz he didn't have sex with his wife last night. Insult can be left ignored ..we aren't in 1990 india where gov control everything..its private and know how to behave

gauravraj

TF Premier
ICICI has been a very sh*tty bank off late. Let me tell you about an experience of my father.

Back in 2021, when my father sold a land, he wanted to invest the whole amount (Around ₹5L) in a Fixed Deposit.

He was already an existing ICICI Bank customer for over 14 years, and has a SBKIT account (Zero balance, no debit card annual charges, no SMS charges, and free IMPS).

But as his home branch was around 8 km away from home, so he contacted the nearest branch (Around 2 km away) to change his home branch to there and invest the aforementioned amount in an FD.

The Assistant Branch Manager visited our house, but instead of changing the branch, he persuaded my dad into creating a new joint account with my mother. They created a Silver account with ₹25K MAB requirement or an FD relationship of ₹1.25L. And then they invested the ₹5L amount into an FD linked to the new account.

He created his new account with a new CIF. With new netbanking credentials. And also he made the new account part of the Privilege Banking program.

Moreover, another employee who came with him, made him create a ULIP of ICICI Prudential Life Insurance with ₹50K annual premium amount (They didn't force it though, but persuaded my dad to create it.)

A few days later, his netbanking of old account wasn't working anymore for NEFT/IMPS transactions, because his mobile number was now linked to the Netbanking of new account! But he resolved it by linking another mobile number to the new account.

Additionally, within days, he noticed that around ₹170 was deducted from the new account for the debit card issuance charges, and ₹118 for NACH autopay registration for the premium they created.

The Assistant Branch Manager didn't inform about the debit card charges at all. Also, his old account was never charged for any debit card annual charges!

Fast forward to one year later, right before the debit card annual charges were going to be deducted, my dad went to the Branch and closed his newly created joint account.

Also, I changed the branch of his old account to the nearest branch via netbanking.

One thing we learnt is, never invite any bank employee to your house. They'll always try to upsell you policies and churn the most out of you.

In your case, if they deny creating an account without visiting your premises, then don't hesitate to deny creating an account with them, too. Or if you really want an account with them, then go to the Branch Manager, and talk to them about the employee.

If it still doesn't work, then make a complaint to the PNO, and if unresolved (Highly unlikely), then to the Managing Director (MD). Whenever you write to the MD, the Branch Manager would handle the case himself. Or the Zonal Head would, depending on the case.
Thankyou for sharing your experience in detail.

Bro, when they saw my hdfc preferred branding cheque, he started explaining my benefits of one titanium saving account with 2L MAB , I thought What the **** . When I refused, he started like ' sir please transfer some funds after that ' , we have best FD rates, customised PPF etc. I walked away by saying not now.

If you're innocent/digitally backward or don't understand technicals of banking or don't know how all system work. STAY AWAY FROM PRIVATE BANKING.

More chances are You end up having complexities.

CosmicCat

TF Ace
Thankyou for sharing your experience in detail.

Bro, when they saw my hdfc preferred branding cheque, he started explaining my benefits of one titanium saving account with 2L MAB , I thought What the **** . When I refused, he started like ' sir please transfer some funds after that ' , we have best FD rates, customised PPF etc. I walked away by saying not now.

If you're innocent/digitally backward or don't understand technicals of banking or don't know how all system work. STAY AWAY FROM PRIVATE BANKING.

More chances are You end up having complexities.
True that. My HDFC's experience had been otherwise. It was amazing and branch people never forced me into opening anything at all.

They created my account without asking me much. Opened Savings Max account there, and my overall experience has been great too. Also, never had to pay for the Platinum debit card charges, getting 1% cashback on other bank bill payments, and got a Tata Neu Infinity Credit card LTF too within one year!

Last edited:

dvader

TF Premier

My ancestral home is in a (very) remote region. My grandfather is an Air Force Vet and retired to our ancestral place (We are farmers) and this has been a tradition for the last 100 years. Almost everyone in the family is serving/has served either in Defence or Law enforcement (I am an engineer though :(). I love it when these guys visit my place. I have a few HNI accounts and every time they call me to sell some guaranteed/fixed-income plan and want to discuss it in person I just don't say anything. All major banks offering HNI accounts (except for a few banks 10 Km away) are 40-50 KM away. They visit my home and are greeted with my Grand Father's chilling contempt; since it is usually Sunday when they visit my Father is either working on his beloved Royal Enfield or cleaning his licensed firearm. I don't even have to say no. They enjoy some tea, talk to my grandfather, recommend investing in mutual funds, and leave. 110 KM for nothing. This is the only situation I use/have ever used my family's name to intimidate someone and I just love it.

Dragon_slayer

TF Ace
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Agree with this. My experience has also been quite bad. Went to Icici to start a wealth account, but the people in the bank themselves did not knew about Wealth account features and benefits. They did not even had any material to share regarding this. Seeing this behaviour, I decided not to open account with them.

WinSuperb7251

TF Select

Why you didn't open it online?

quino

TF Ace
RML Group
Why you didn't open it online?
you are like the 100th person that asked that question in this thread. can we stop ganging on the op for choosing to open through branch.

if you have any need, you call branch person they do it quickly on their end through backend. this is why many of us prefer branch banking.

it's a personal preference, no need to be giving unsolicited suggestions.

WinSuperb7251

TF Select
you are like the 100th person that asked that question in this thread. can we stop ganging on the op for choosing to open through branch.

if you have any need, you call branch person they do it quickly on their end through backend. this is why many of us prefer branch banking.

it's a personal preference, no need to be giving unsolicited suggestions.
Not giving suggestions but asked for reason, got the reason in the following thread.