• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Improving Credit Card Application Transparency in India: A Call for Action

TechnoFino

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
Greetings everyone,

The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) issued new guidelines for credit card issuers on April 21st, 2022, which came into effect on July 1st, 2022. The RBI has explicitly stated in these guidelines that credit card issuing companies and banks must provide a written explanation for rejecting an applicant's card application. This information can be found in paragraph 6. (a) i. of "RBI/2022-23/92 DoR.AUT.REC.No.27/24.01.041/2022-23" dated April 21st, 2022.
I'm quoting the paragraph here "Card-issuers shall provide a one-page Key Fact Statement along with the credit card application containing the important aspects of the card such as rate of interest, quantum of charges, among others. In case of rejection of a credit card application, the card-issuer shall convey in writing the specific reason/s which led to the rejection of the application."

However, it has come to our attention that many banks are not following this rule. When a bank rejects a credit card or other credit product such as loan application, they often provide a vague reason such as "Internal Criteria" instead of specifying the exact reason for the rejection. When a customer files a complaint with the RBI banking ombudsman seeking further clarification, the ombudsman often closes the case under clause 16 without proper investigation.

We would like to question the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on the rationale behind implementing the guideline requiring credit card issuers and banks to provide a written explanation for rejecting an applicant's card application. While this guideline is a step in the right direction, we believe that there is still room for improvement.
If we examine the credit card application process in many developed countries such as the USA, we can see that all credit card issuers provide an exact reason for rejecting an application. This practice is backed by a law that protects the interests of customers, known as the Equal Credit Opportunity Act. We believe that India should follow in the footsteps of these countries to ensure that customers are not left in the dark about the reasons for their credit card application rejection.

Despite being ahead of the USA in terms of digital transactions, our credit card application process lacks transparency. This lack of transparency can be frustrating for customers, who are left without a clear understanding of why their application was rejected. Therefore, we urge the RBI to take steps to enhance transparency in the credit card application process, such as implementing a law similar to the Equal Credit Opportunity Act. By doing so, we can ensure that customers have a fair and transparent experience when applying for a credit card in India.
We request the RBI to strictly enforce the existing guideline ("RBI/2022-23/92 DoR.AUT.REC.No.27/24.01.041/2022-23" dated April 21st, 2022, paragraph 6. (a) i.) and ensure that the ombudsman officer does not close a case under clause 16 if a customer escalates the issue with them.

If you agreed with us, sign petition on change - https://chng.it/9Y59tHYBDh

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
I think axis is already following this , they provide a separate pdf in case of rejections , and the pdf attached has clear cut reason why the application was rejected .

Similar experience with AU too , they do provide a list or potential reason for rejection

HDFC , Icici , SBI never provide a reason rather a message or mail that card couldn’t be approved

blacktiger

TF Premier
I think axis is already following this , they provide a separate pdf in case of rejections , and the pdf attached has clear cut reason why the application was rejected .

Similar experience with AU too , they do provide a list or potential reason for rejection

HDFC , Icici , SBI never provide a reason rather a message or mail that card couldn’t be approved
where did u find the reason for rejection for AU? i didnt get any mail as such

TheMentalist

TF Ace
VIP Lounge

This is what I received as Axis' reason for rejection in separate PDF :ROFLMAO:

axis.png

nitrogenSingh

TF Premier
TF Family
Axis never shares rejected reason, I had to fight for 2 months, still got nothing.

tushu5121

TF Premier

Axis don't give reason in attachment.
Yes they do provide attachment
Where written
Iteenal policy/criteriA
no reason nothing.
Same with RBL
Hdfc icici sbi federal and SC cards

tushu5121

TF Premier
Please find the below attached screenshot from the pdf I received on my application
I can vary. I think you have got card in 3 months. So thats why they rejected.
See bellow attachment. They simply rejected wothout any reason.. That time i was using Apay with 3.2L limit card and 0 debt clean clear Credit history
I mailed then for same but.. nothing happen

Harry1

TF Legend
VIP Lounge

Yes, Axis is the only bank which specifies rejection reason without even asking. That too in pretty formal way with a pdf.

Although reasons are quite vague like Duplicate application or Another card applied recently etc.

Other banks keep saying internal criteria in loop mode until you complaint to RBI Ombudsman. And after that they give some stupid reason and close the case.

Kirtijyoti

TF Buzz

Add Standard chartered and federal bank