• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Is it true that we shouldn't transact more than five times a month in a savings bank account?

rj_arora

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Guys, I had a terrible experience today at Axis Bank. They blocked my savings account three days ago. Credit is allowed, but I can't debit any money. I went to the branch today to confront them, and the manager told me this -

Allegation 1: There were too many transactions in my savings account. That's why their system flagged the account. They told me to use my account like a savings account and not like a current account. The manager clearly told me that RBI has directed the banks not to allow more than five transactions per month.
My view: this is the first time I've heard about this five transaction limit a month. I mean, how is it possible that the government is promoting digitisation and, at the same time, limiting people to use their savings account only five times a month? Isn't it weird?

Allegation 2: the manager was asking me how I was getting money credited to my account so many times. I clearly told him that I had transferred the money from my own ICICI account to my Axis account many times and then transferred it to my own Zerodha/Paytm money as I had linked my Axis account to the broker. Also, my mother and my friends sent me money totalling 4-5 times the previous month, and 3-4 were miscellaneous credits. But he was trying to scare me by saying that I was speaking so much in front of him, but I wouldn't be able to utter a single word against the income tax department.
My view: What does the income tax department have to do with this? I mean, is it illegal to take money from friends? And all of this is white money. They are transferring the money from their bank account to my bank account, right? It's not even cash. How did the income tax department come into the picture? I have no idea. There are a total of 73 debits + credits in my account. I don't know how high it is.

Some other transaction level details:

I received a total of 6.17L from my own other bank accounts in 11 transactions.
I received a total of 86K (my own Business income, declared in ITR, too) in 2 transactions.
I received a total of 1.1Lakh from friends/family in 8 transactions.
All these were IMPS/UPI. All online, bank-to-bank transfers.
The remaining 50 transactions were debit transactions, mainly to my broker account and vendors/shops/friends, etc.

Now, to resolve this, he's asking me to write on a page that I will use my savings account less frequently in the future and that I won't repeat this behaviour when I am doing multiple transactions in my account. Also, he is asking me to write the purpose of the credits in my account and why the money was credited from my friends and from my mother to my account.
What do you guys think I should do here? Has anyone else faced this before?

cc: @TechnoFino @Subhankar @ashwink @S S V @4uziaul @007 @alphadark7 @bhavyegoel

Last edited:

ccdc

TF Ace
arre dont worry yaar....we are very very small fish in the ocean....2-5L ka income conceal ITD ko kya milega....2-2.5L as tax +penalties+fines....nothing for ITD.....but be careful with bank accounts....as that's the first thing they look at when doing anything....so all rotaters taking money in bank accounts...be very careful...coz if you're not able to explain source then it'll be considered as income and then you have to pay tax+penalty+fine on that.....and since it's rotation money...agar bol diya...sir ye toh rotation ka paisa hai....fir toh kya hoga kya pata....

Firstly Don't Rotate Money... ( Take it as a General Statement)
Secondly... You think that this is legit Transactions But firstly make sure that as Per Bank's perspective it's legit also.

There is no. Such restrictions but if any time. Bank thinks that no. Of transactions are too high then bank can feeze your account.

Even RBI Can not help you.

So.. If your transactions are legit then fight.. If. Not.. Then. Be alert..

rj_arora

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
arre dont worry yaar....we are very very small fish in the ocean....2-5L ka income conceal ITD ko kya milega....2-2.5L as tax +penalties+fines....nothing for ITD.....but be careful with bank accounts....as that's the first thing they look at when doing anything....so all rotaters taking money in bank accounts...be very careful...coz if you're not able to explain source then it'll be considered as income and then you have to pay tax+penalty+fine on that.....and since it's rotation money...agar bol diya...sir ye toh rotation ka paisa hai....fir toh kya hoga kya pata....
True bro. Basically, I took money from friends and invested in the stock market. I've already returned the money to them today, from my salary + breaking my FD. The total amount taken from them in the past month was around 1.6L only, which must be peanuts for ITD.

cc: @Guidence

True bro. Basically, I took money from friends and invested in the stock market. I've already returned the money to them today, from my salary + breaking my FD. The total amount taken from them in the past month was around 1.6L only, which must be peanuts for ITD.

cc: @Guidence
.. Sir..

Investment in stock market is a legit process.

But the way you transact is bad practice.

See... I have lots of cards but i never misuses bcoz i want good sleep at. Night.

If You welcome ITD. Then believe me you will regret whole life..

Bcoz You Can't fight Againts the Government..

You can fight against any PSU... Any bank or any organisation..

But can u fight with government?

No.. Unless you are a Lawyer, a judge.. Etc..

We r Simple people so... Just follow rules and take goods sleep at night..

This is reality sir..

rj_arora

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
.. Sir..

Investment in stock market is a legit process.

But the way you transact is bad practice.

See... I have lots of cards but i never misuses bcoz i want good sleep at. Night.

If You welcome ITD. Then believe me you will regret whole life..

Bcoz You Can't fight Againts the Government..

You can fight against any PSU... Any bank or any organisation..

But can u fight with government?

No.. Unless you are a Lawyer, a judge.. Etc..

We r Simple people so... Just follow rules and take goods sleep at night..

This is reality sir..
True bro. Same here, I also want a good sleep at night. So, I won't take the money and invest in future, but abhi jo kiya hai, usse to koi issue nhi hoga na?

True bro. Same here, I also want a good sleep at night. So, I won't take the money and invest in future, but abhi jo kiya hai, usse to koi issue nhi hoga na?
Definitely nothing will. Happen..

Just Approach PNO And write that I was not aware of such rules and that is the reason my transaction are big in numbers.. from now I will use my account in accordance with RBI's guidelines.

U r in fault so. Use polite Launguage.

Seniors. Will. Help @vaibhav111 @jack333 @Tejo @D₹V @S S V

No one can give a definitive answer - as of today. Even ITD can't give.

You need to wait. File your ITR in June. Let it be assessed in the normal course (i.e without being picked up for detailed scrutiny.).

And, whatever details/info you keep - remember to keep safe for the next 7 FYs. Because, ITD legally can ask for any info/data/document for the next 7 years.

So, make it a regular habit n keep safe all imp info about your finances - more particularly about your incomes.

vaibhav111

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Sr Moderator

Just Approach PNO And write that I was not aware of such rules and that is the reason my transaction are big in numbers.. from now I will use my account in accordance with RBI's guidelines.

would need some time to reply, i heading over to the OP post and then will read all the comment so I'm no missing anything. and it just 6 page post which isn't long.

Tejo

TF Legend
@rj_arora really RBI guided the bank's to block/warn the people who rotates the money.

There were several reasons behind it, not a particular one.

Also the bank's in india are bearing the payment infrastructure fee. RBI promoted free of cost money transfers to depromote utilisation of cash to cash transactions ..........

Now it became head ache for the bank's.

It's costs to process a transaction plus bank's need to maintain the data of the transaction.

@rj_arora get a CA or upgrade the SA variant, change branch to head/registered branch plus have a networth relationship with bank ... which bank, savings ac you use mostly.

rj_arora

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

But others have already mentioned that there are no RBI's guidelines as such.

rj_arora

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
@rj_arora really RBI guided the bank's to block/warn the people who rotates the money.

There were several reasons behind it, not a particular one.

Also the bank's in india are bearing the payment infrastructure fee. RBI promoted free of cost money transfers to depromote utilisation of cash to cash transactions ..........

Now it became head ache for the bank's.

It's costs to process a transaction plus bank's need to maintain the data of the transaction.

@rj_arora get a CA or upgrade the SA variant, change branch to head/registered branch plus have a networth relationship with bank ... which bank, savings ac you use mostly.
I am already using CA services. Yeah, will close this Normal Axis savings account itself, as I have ICICI wealth + HDFC preferred too.

vaibhav111

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Sr Moderator
Guys, I had a terrible experience today at Axis Bank. They blocked my savings account three days ago. Credit is allowed, but I can't debit any money. I went to the branch today to confront them, and the manager told me this -

Allegation 1: There were too many transactions in my savings account. That's why their system flagged the account. They told me to use my account like a savings account and not like a current account. The manager clearly told me that RBI has directed the banks not to allow more than five transactions per month.
My view: this is the first time I've heard about this five transaction limit a month. I mean, how is it possible that the government is promoting digitisation and, at the same time, limiting people to use their savings account only five times a month? Isn't it weird?

Allegation 2: the manager was asking me how I was getting money credited to my account so many times. I clearly told him that I had transferred the money from my own ICICI account to my Axis account many times and then transferred it to my own Zerodha/Paytm money as I had linked my Axis account to the broker. Also, my mother and my friends sent me money totalling 4-5 times the previous month, and 3-4 were miscellaneous credits. But he was trying to scare me by saying that I was speaking so much in front of him, but I wouldn't be able to utter a single word against the income tax department.
My view: What does the income tax department have to do with this? I mean, is it illegal to take money from friends? And all of this is white money. They are transferring the money from their bank account to my bank account, right? It's not even cash. How did the income tax department come into the picture? I have no idea. There are a total of 73 debits + credits in my account. I don't know how high it is.

Some other transaction level details:

I received a total of 6.17L from my own other bank accounts in 11 transactions.
I received a total of 86K (my own Business income, declared in ITR, too) in 2 transactions.
I received a total of 1.1Lakh from friends/family in 8 transactions.
All these were IMPS/UPI. All online, bank-to-bank transfers.
The remaining 50 transactions were debit transactions, mainly to my broker account and vendors/shops/friends, etc.

Now, to resolve this, he's asking me to write on a page that I will use my savings account less frequently in the future and that I won't repeat this behaviour when I am doing multiple transactions in my account. Also, he is asking me to write the purpose of the credits in my account and why the money was credited from my friends and from my mother to my account.
What do you guys think I should do here? Has anyone else faced this before?

cc: @TechnoFino @Subhankar @ashwink @S S V @4uziaul @007 @alphadark7 @bhavyegoel
no just rule.. if that all my bank account would been blocked ages ago.. this is first time I'm hearing this.. like complain Big time so that person who try this is removed from axis bank and get a job in Bank. the manager is from which city I'm like wtf.

edit - read all comment and it seem OP SA is 5k MAB.. never opened or found 5k MAB account in metro Tier 1 ciity so this 5 trnx is legit as per comment posted in all these 6 pages till now. OP need to upgrade his SA or Close Axis Bank Account.

Last edited:

rj_arora

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
No one can give a definitive answer - as of today. Even ITD can't give.

You need to wait. File your ITR in June. Let it be assessed in the normal course (i.e without being picked up for detailed scrutiny.).

And, whatever details/info you keep - remember to keep safe for the next 7 FYs. Because, ITD legally can ask for any info/data/document for the next 7 years.

So, make it a regular habit n keep safe all imp info about your finances - more particularly about your incomes.
Yes, sir, that is fine. I have a CA and will be filing ITR anyway; no worries about that.

But after reading the email that I sent to NO/PNO, I just want to make sure that the Bank officials don't have any special powers that they use to highlight this specific case to ITD; that's it. This is the only thing I want to ensure.