• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Is it true that we shouldn't transact more than five times a month in a savings bank account?

rj_arora

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Guys, I had a terrible experience today at Axis Bank. They blocked my savings account three days ago. Credit is allowed, but I can't debit any money. I went to the branch today to confront them, and the manager told me this -

Allegation 1: There were too many transactions in my savings account. That's why their system flagged the account. They told me to use my account like a savings account and not like a current account. The manager clearly told me that RBI has directed the banks not to allow more than five transactions per month.
My view: this is the first time I've heard about this five transaction limit a month. I mean, how is it possible that the government is promoting digitisation and, at the same time, limiting people to use their savings account only five times a month? Isn't it weird?

Allegation 2: the manager was asking me how I was getting money credited to my account so many times. I clearly told him that I had transferred the money from my own ICICI account to my Axis account many times and then transferred it to my own Zerodha/Paytm money as I had linked my Axis account to the broker. Also, my mother and my friends sent me money totalling 4-5 times the previous month, and 3-4 were miscellaneous credits. But he was trying to scare me by saying that I was speaking so much in front of him, but I wouldn't be able to utter a single word against the income tax department.
My view: What does the income tax department have to do with this? I mean, is it illegal to take money from friends? And all of this is white money. They are transferring the money from their bank account to my bank account, right? It's not even cash. How did the income tax department come into the picture? I have no idea. There are a total of 73 debits + credits in my account. I don't know how high it is.

Some other transaction level details:

I received a total of 6.17L from my own other bank accounts in 11 transactions.
I received a total of 86K (my own Business income, declared in ITR, too) in 2 transactions.
I received a total of 1.1Lakh from friends/family in 8 transactions.
All these were IMPS/UPI. All online, bank-to-bank transfers.
The remaining 50 transactions were debit transactions, mainly to my broker account and vendors/shops/friends, etc.

Now, to resolve this, he's asking me to write on a page that I will use my savings account less frequently in the future and that I won't repeat this behaviour when I am doing multiple transactions in my account. Also, he is asking me to write the purpose of the credits in my account and why the money was credited from my friends and from my mother to my account.
What do you guys think I should do here? Has anyone else faced this before?

cc: @TechnoFino @Subhankar @ashwink @S S V @4uziaul @007 @alphadark7 @bhavyegoel

Last edited:
first of all the big myth is money in bank account is white money.........any undeclared income in ITR is black money...(in short money on which tax hasn't been paid)....secondly just like you explained to the bank how credits you got in your account....same you'll have to explain ITD (if they pull up your case for scrutiny).....thirdly same thing happened with me......i closed the account and took my money back....
Do you mean if the ITD department itself pulls up the case for scrutiny?
Also, Axis won't give this case themselves to the ITD, right? just confirming. Or is it like Axis themselves will contact the ITD for this case?
And can we close the account without unblocking it? How do they return the money in that case?
cc: @imdjay @sm9811911 @ashwink @Bugs Bunny @Pankhuri

No AFAIK
Also, Axis won't give this case themselves to the ITD, right? just confirming. Or is it like Axis themselves will contact the ITD for this case?
Yes the BM may inform, whether to take it or leave it is left to ITD to decide. However, you never crossed the limits prescribed by rbi/itd for reporting + you didn't have any overseas txns. So you can relax.
And can we close the account without unblocking it?
Yes. They have to..
How do they return the money in that case?
You can take cheque
Awaiting response from tags...

And can we close the account without unblocking it? How do they return the money in that case?
ITD has very advanced softwares (courtesy our homegrown software companies esp TCS) that can detect potential red flags....an example would be suppose you declare income as per ITR as 5L...but you have credits in bank account lets say 10L (just saying a number..pls don't take this as ssomething official from ITD)...they might investigate further and if they find anything fishy you might get a notice....it all depends on many factors...so dont just take what i told as the only true thing....i dont think bank ppl are bothered about reporting it to ITD....as i said earlier ITD has very advanced softwares just for all this analysing data....you can request account closure from branch...they'll close and transfer the money into your account....just watch out for account closure charges...i waited 6 months to close coz if i close before that than i had to pay 500+taxes as account closure charges.

Nothing like this will happen. Axis will not report to ITD. Nor it is a concern from IT perspective.

Dont worry, keep on using this account if you wish. Low chances this account freeze will happen again.

If ITD scrutinises my case by themselves, then it's okay. Anyway, no one can do anything about it.
I just want to ensure that Axis doesn't forward this case to them because of the email I sent to them complaining about the operations manager and the account freeze.
It will be like, "Apne pair pe kulhari maarna", "Aa bail mujhe maar" etc. I don't want this.
If you guys think that there is a possibility of Axis reporting to ITD, I am ready to send another email, taking my complaint back and meeting the manager's demand because, again, I don't want to ruin my mental peace. What do you guys say?
@sm9811911 @ccdc

ITD has very advanced softwares (courtesy our homegrown software companies esp TCS) that can detect potential red flags....an example would be suppose you declare income as per ITR as 5L...but you have credits in bank account lets say 10L (just saying a number..pls don't take this as ssomething official from ITD)...they might investigate further and if they find anything fishy you might get a notice....it all depends on many factors...so dont just take what i told as the only true thing....i dont think bank ppl are bothered about reporting it to ITD....as i said earlier ITD has very advanced softwares just for all this analysing data....you can request account closure from branch...they'll close and transfer the money into your account....just watch out for account closure charges...i waited 6 months to close coz if i close before that than i had to pay 500+taxes as account closure charges.

From FY 2022-23, the ITD had started using all-around-info gathering (also known as 360 degrees sourcing) n integrating it with the filed ITRs. Now-a-days, ITD need not ask for any data from any bank. They have DIRECT ACCESS to the entire data - at all times - as a privileged user. All info about your bank accounts, CCs/DCs, MFs, Demat/trading accounts.... entire data is available to them at all times.
From FY 2023-24 this year, they are using AI tools on a large scale.

Read my previous posts in this thread.

From FY 2022-23, the ITD had started using all-around-info gathering (also known as 360 degrees sourcing) n integrating it with the filed ITRs. Now-a-days, ITD need not ask for any data from any bank. They have DIRECT ACCESS to the entire data - at all times - as a privileged user. All info about your bank accounts, CCs/DCs, MFs, Demat/trading accounts.... entire data is available to them at all times.

Sounds scarier than IRS

hard to believe. Any source?

What I have found is this (only for HNI with income >1cr): https://www.livemint.com/money/pers...-tax-evasion-details-here-11698668947055.html

Why worry ?

Unless someone is doing unlawful n illegal things or concieling income or avoiding paying tax or suppressing data on such related matters... Why worry ?

On the contrary, I am happy to see a stronger, intelligent n efficient ITD doing a great job. Many may not agree with me. Who cares ?
Agree. But more than that it is the mental stress which bothers many..
Wrt raids, Even the mishap they cause, tearing of beds/sofas, throwing all the stuff on the ground while conducting search. Cutting all sorts of communications for 2-3hrs.
All these are inconveniences for a citizen

If ITD scrutinises my case by themselves, then it's okay. Anyway, no one can do anything about it.
I just want to ensure that Axis doesn't forward this case to them because of the email I sent to them complaining about the operations manager and the account freeze.
It will be like, "Apne pair pe kulhari maarna", "Aa bail mujhe maar" etc. I don't want this.
If you guys think that there is a possibility of Axis reporting to ITD, I am ready to send another email, taking my complaint back and meeting the manager's demand because, again, I don't want to ruin my mental peace. What do you guys say?

@sm9811911 @ccdc
Iska bhi bata do bhaiyon :)

Iska bhi bata do bhaiyon :)
They don't have any grounds to report.
If bm want to report it anyway , he'll report it. Most likely 99.9%case he won't. They're also here to do business. If they keep troubling the customers, then no one will open account with them. Moreover taking complaint back will not have any effect on this..
So chill out a bit. & wait for reply from PNO

Agree. But more than that it is the mental stress which bothers many..
Wrt raids, Even the mishap they cause, tearing of beds/sofas, throwing all the stuff on the ground while conducting search. Cutting all sorts of communications for 2-3hrs.
All these are inconveniences for a citizen

They will not come just like that to everyone's home. And, if they come, they will not go empty handed.

So, instead of giving them any slender chance of coming, it would be better n happy to be on the safe side of any law of the land - more so wrt ITD.

They will not come just like that to everyone's home. And, if they come, they will not go empty handed.

So, instead of giving them any slender chance of coming, it would be better n happy to be on the safe side of any law of the land - more so wrt ITD.
Yeah, since for people like us who mostly use IMPS/UPI, use CC, get a salary, etc. Everything is online anyway. Also, we are too small for them to raid like that. Correct?

They don't have any grounds to report.
If bm want to report it anyway , he'll report it. Most likely 99.9%case he won't. They're also here to do business. If they keep troubling the customers, then no one will open account with them. Moreover taking complaint back will not have any effect on this..
So chill out a bit. & wait for reply from PNO
Thank you so much, bro. Maybe I am overthinking too much and I need to take a chill pill.

Back