• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Is it worth transferring points to Airline partners?

shuperman

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Hi All,

I have around 2.5Lakh edge reward points from Magnus, 80K points in SC Ultimate. I got Infinia card last month and started shifting my spends to it from this week considering Magnus devaluation.

Our family is not in a position to plan travel immediately due to personal reasons and I guess it might take an year for us to travel.

So I am planning to park the points in a way considering the following criteria:
a) Ease of extending the validity of the points
b) Valid across more number of locations both national/international

I transferred 1.5lakh ERP to Accor considering the hotel coverage both domestic and international.
80K points in SC Ultimate can be used to purchase Vistara purple ticket/vouchers which can be used to book domestic flights if I plan domestic travel.

Since I have Infinia and good time to get some points from it, I am thinking whether to transfer the rest of 1 lakh points to an airline partner or transfer them to another hotel partner like ITC/Marriot considering I don't have travel plans immediately. I am yet to explore how to extend the validity of ITC Green points.

Are there any cases where revenue rate is higher than miles redemption rate which implies transferring to air mile partner is profitable as I feel the overhead of identifying and booking an award tickets is not suitable for me considering the ROI of my time invested. Points on Infinia will help me book 70% value of the ticket with points and does avoid the hassle of redeeming complexities.

Or do you suggest transferring to airmile partners like Krisflyer or United Alliance ( Not preferred as Infinia's transfer rate is 2:1 which hampers accumulation rate) as redemption is fairly easy and is still profitable(no clarity on that?)

Thanks

RaviAgl

TF Premier
TF Family
Not an answer to your query, but were your points expiring or devaluing in the coming few weeks. If yes, then you the plan to transfer them to hotel or airline partners is good as they vanishing anway. If no, then you should leave them where they are.

Keeping in mind, that you don't have immediate travel plans, it would make much sense to use the points only when required because every transaction adds some loss to their value.

Thanks!!

shuperman

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Not an answer to your query, but were your points expiring or devaluing in the coming few weeks. If yes, then you the plan to transfer them to hotel or airline partners is good as they vanishing anway. If no, then you should leave them where they are.

Keeping in mind, that you don't have immediate travel plans, it would make much sense to use the points only when required because every transaction adds some loss to their value.

Thanks!!
The transfer ratio of Edge rewards of Magnus is going to be slashed from 5:4 to 5:2 from 1st Sept 2023 which means the reward rate is going to be cut by 50%. Hence I want to transfer the edge reward points to some hotel/airline to derive the maximum value..

RaviAgl

TF Premier
TF Family
I think that this thread would be better placed in the Hotel and Airmiles section of the TF forums.

With your permission, I would want to move this thread to that section.

Thanks!!

Venky

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
transferring 2 lakhs worth of points will surely be worth it. Most airline programs have 3 years expiry foe the miles. Choosing the right FFP would depend on where do you want to travel like which region.*

Also the best redemption will be for Business class tickets.

*For eg- krisflyer for south east asia
United for US & Canada
Turkish for europe.