• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Is this ethical for a bank to display existing/offered credit limit of under mobile notifications?

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
That's true. Available credit limit is displayed in transactional SMS as well. Doesn't make it right.

I think the point I made still stands. With mobile apps, and now on-device-AI reading all our text messages and notifications, banking information shouldn't be displayed this easily.
In this case, with your device is being read by some AI bot, the onus is on customers side to safe guard the protection of your data right?
They are still sending it to you privately and you are allowing it to be read by other apps .
They may not effectively communicate with you or in fact , their obligation to let you know your exact current available limit may be hindered

Batman

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
In this case, with your device is being read by some AI bot, the onus is on customers side to safe guard the protection of your data right?
They are still sending it to you privately and you are allowing it to be read by other apps .
They may not effectively communicate with you or in fact , their obligation to let you know your exact current available limit may be hindered
Most users are unaware of their privacy bhai. That is why RBI releases guidelines, so that the onus is on banks to protect user data.

Consider taking screenshots of a banking app - not allowed in India. A user isn't allowed to decide if they can take screenshots. As it should be.

On AI - It is an ever changing world. With all phone info being read, privacy is even more important.

Batman

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Why wasn't this check issued to account payee only??
Read the post here. That is answered.

If you have questions, post in that thread. I'd be happy to answer.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Most users are unaware of their privacy bhai. That is why RBI releases guidelines, so that the onus is on banks to protect user data.

Consider taking screenshots of a banking app - not allowed in India. A user isn't allowed to decide if they can take screenshots. As it should be.

On AI - It is an ever changing world. With all phone info being read, privacy is even more important.
Whether consumers are aware of any law or not , it is their responsibility to protect their own data on their devices.. at the same time it is banks’ responsibility to protect and safe guard the interests of customers in respect to the customers privacy as well..

Consider the case of banks immediately informing the available CL after each transaction via SMS. It is their duty inform you .. if they don’t , people go and say I was not aware my current CL and it’s banks fault for not informing…
When you are already allowing programs to read your sms in reading this data , how is this different to other apps reading your emails containing the same data…

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
That's true. Available credit limit is displayed in transactional SMS as well. Doesn't make it right.

I think the point I made still stands. With mobile apps, and now on-device-AI reading all our text messages and notifications, banking information shouldn't be displayed this easily.
By that logic, it shouldn't be shown anywhere as apps can monitor that as well.

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Also the SMS app shows these sms in the notification pannel as well how will you avoid those.
What about OTP recieved via SMS getting displayed in notification??
You can easily change the settings to not display message content in notifications. Even if they do, so what? Keep your phone secure if you are worried. Just like you would keep a passbook secure earlier.

HumorSimpson

TF Legend
And here Fintos upload screenshot of their increased CL without masking their last 4 digits of CC.
Homer Simpson Playing With Phone GIF

Riva

TF Premier
Credit limit is not PII data. It does not mean anything even if tied to a person's name. There can be 10 people with the same name. There are bigger issues in what data has been leaked or can be leaked to worry about than a bank sending you a credit limit in an open email.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Put it this way, understanding and implementing privacy laws in India is a myth.. in my view..

In reality , PAN cards and Aadhar cards are there everywwere floating around , which is of more a concern than displaying your CL in email notifications..

Credit limit is not PII data. It does not mean anything even if tied to a person's name. There can be 10 people with the same name. There are bigger issues in what data has been leaked or can be leaked to worry about than a bank sending you a credit limit in an open email.

Echoing the same sentiment... very correct...

Riva

TF Premier

There is NO law in India that states that banking apps should not be allowed to take a screenshot. It's a guideline to prevent misuse and fraud and hence implemented. I as a user have the right to take a screenshot of my own page from my bank app. It's what I do with that data (screenshot) is where the question arises.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
To put it blunty,

In Inida, there is no meaning for these two:
1)Customer sevice
2) Protecting privacy

These two things are non-existent in India practically.. They are only there in the system and on paper but has no relevance in practical terms..

It is maily because of the inheritance and cultural aspects of the society..
Any rule, makes sense when everyone ( at least a majority) recognises it and follows it in any society..

I am not going to waste my precious time on this topic...

Have a nice day ahead guys...
Enjoy !!

Last edited:

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
There is NO law in India that states that banking apps should not be allowed to take a screenshot. It's a guideline to prevent misuse and fraud and hence implemented. I as a user have the right to take a screenshot of my own page from my bank app. It's what I do with that data (screenshot) is where the question arises.
This is 100% correct , it is individual's bank's decsion in implementing this feature.. there is no mandate from anyone ..
If customers are not happy about this, theycan complain to the respective bank and bank may explain why tey are doing this... Some banks allow to take SS..
Last one for the day on this topic...

Riva

TF Premier
I, as a user, only use Android because of the control I have on what apps have access to what feature. I prefer to login using a web browser on my phone (Brave) into a banking app that have the app installed on my device. It's cleaner and no other apps can read anything since the app is not installed. I also do not give permission to apps to read sd card and other non required data. Eg. Why should a calculator app have access to contqcts, or access to WiFi? As a user you need to monitor such access when you install the app.

Batman

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I think the only point I want to focus here is this -
@SSV @Riva I agree that there are other major potential privacy leaks with SMS and emails. But would you agree that knowing the credit limit of a user makes a scammer more likely to target them? If yes, it could be considered to keep it protected by default. Advanced users can choose to display it if they want, like Riva pointed out the control on Android.
---

Consider the case of banks immediately informing the available CL after each transaction via SMS. It is their duty inform you .. if they don’t , people go and say I was not aware my current CL and it’s banks fault for not informing
I understand and agree with this statement. It seems like a double edged sword.

On the matter of apps reading SMS and email info - yes, that is a concern for privacy. Amazon has stopped giving order details in emails in some countries, because they know Google/Gmail can read it and target users with relevant ads.
---

There is NO law in India that states that banking apps should not be allowed to take a screenshot. It's a guideline to prevent misuse and fraud and hence implemented.
RBI is authorised to monitor banks under the Act of 1949. That means RBI is allowed to make guidelines and enforce the banks to follow it. I can't recall if RBI has a guideline for taking screenshots. I stated it as an example, there are many other mandatory guidelines.
---

To put it blunty,

In Inida, there is no meaning for these two:
1)Customer sevice
2) Protecting privacy
Any rule makes sense when everyone ( at least a majority) recognises it and follows it in any society..

I am not going to waste my precious time on this topic...
If you can forgive me for saying this, I think this is a cynical attitude. If banking and CC enthusiasts like all of us here think like that, there would be no changes or improvements in the banking system. We write to RBI Ombudsmen because we remain hopeful that a corrective action shall be taken. Right?

Banking is such a deeply technical + securely protected system that general public gets to know about the frauds when it happens ALL around us. RBI can't wait for public to object to make such regulations.
You remember we discussed the cheque fraud case? It was a surprise for a majority of us in the forum. People can't object what they don't know OR haven't suffered themselves. Does that mean it should be ignored by RBI?

The general public is noob/newbie/unaware of the potential banking scams. RBI has to handhold them, as it has been doing for several decades now.
--

Yes, there are other major flaws to be improved. But that doesn't undermine the other tiny things that could be a potential security breach.

I'm not expecting any replies here, based on the last few comments. We can have different opinions on this topic.

harsha1

TF Buzz
That doesn't seem to be an appropriate analogy. Once again, comparing apples and oranges.

No, this is not the case. Banks cannot display any private information any where on a mobile phone, under the pretence of a private property. This is why stringent RBI guidelines exist.

Hell, banks aren't even allowed to display Credit/Debit Card number + CVV at the same time. User has to toggle a button to see it one at a time. Screenshot 2024-06-29 at 8.26.49 AM.png
Is this Titanium or Gold type account debit card?

phoenix1386

TF Select
Contributor
Except for me, no one else touches my phone, so that is not a concern for me.
Additionally, we have options in the notification settings to ‘Hide notification content,’ and we can also disable promotional notifications in apps.
I wonder why you are concerned about the app displaying your credit limit on your phone, while you posted the same notification on a public forum.

Because nobody wants to flaunt financial matters in family.

Wealth is my birth right!

TF Prestige
Contributor
VIP Lounge
I, as a user, only use Android because of the control I have on what apps have access to what feature. I prefer to login using a web browser on my phone (Brave) into a banking app that have the app installed on my device. It's cleaner and no other apps can read anything since the app is not installed. I also do not give permission to apps to read sd card and other non required data. Eg. Why should a calculator app have access to contqcts, or access to WiFi? As a user you need to monitor such access when you install the app.
Bhai looks safe
Any tips for iOS users 😊