• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

ITR processing delay. "Has your ITR been processed yet?"

Das.N

TF Legend
This year income tax is delaying the processing of ITR and the refund.
I filed ITR 4 on 7th July.
It is under processing till today.
Please share your ITR processing time this year and the time taken for the refund to be credited in the bank account.

Last year mine was processed in October filled in June, This year I'm not expecting anytime sooner. ITR3
ITR 3 takes a lot of time every year.
My ITR 4 was processed in 7 days last year.
But this year, more than a month has passed but they didn't send the intimation letter yet.

All our 7 ITRs (5 ITR-1s and 2 ITR-2s) filed before 07JUL have been Assessed n 4 refunds recieved by 04AUG.
Sir, what should I do in my case?
They didn't send any defective notice and the they are not processing the ITR too.
Is this normal?
Should I wait?
Or file a grievance?

Reactions: NCD
Sir, what should I do in my case?
They didn't send any defective notice and the they are not processing the ITR too.
Is this normal?
Should I wait?
Or file a grievance?
Just wait .. sometimes it takes time .. it is not necessary to follow the last yeat timelines..
Depending upon processes they follow, sometimes an ITR can go thru different route.. you will definitely be notified of any issue if any, or toherise it just simply be processed and an intimation be sent..

and also someitmes the ITRs will be processed in batches as well .. this batch grouping also may differ from yeat to year ..

So, Please wait .. no need to take any action as of now.. I know we will get anxiety if it takes longer than usual..
but that doesn't mean something is worng.. just wait for your turn.. it will be done...

My dad filed ITR-2 this year (For the first time ever) on 2nd July and had some ₹50K tax liability with late interest, but no refunds. His ITR is still not processed. He used to file ITR-1 until last year, and they were all processed within 2-4 days. In 2022, he had no liability and no refund, and it was processed in just 2 hours.

I filed ITR-3 this time in the second week of July with no refunds and no tax liability. It hasn't been processed either. Last year, I filed ITR-4, and it was processed in just 4 days.

I'm really afraid now due to uncertainty. Had to file ITR-2 and ITR-3 instead of ITR-1 and ITR-4 respectively solely for showing capital gains. Really sucks.

Nothing sucks.

In the good olden days, it used to take upto 1 year to get RO/AO/DO by registered post. We used to do our duty. File n forget. Be happy.

Why get tensed up now ? They can process last FY returns upto the end of the current FY.

Can't expect n compare to what they did last year. Rules are different now, loads are different now n processing priorities are different now.

Do not get worked up unnecessarily. Let them do their job. At their own pace. Sit back n relax.

Is this normal?
Should I wait?
Or file a grievance?

How does one define what's normal?

And how can one file a grievance before the due date by which all ITRs are required to be processed (31 March, 2025, if I'm not mistaken)?!

I have been filing for years, and don't think the processing time is predictable. It depends on a multitude of things which are not the same every year. A delay doesn't imply an audit.

I think (I may be wrong, too) the filed Returns will go the automated route - if it is on expected lines n is in sync with what ITD expects - based on the previous years' returns. Only refunds couldbe approved manually. Again, that depends on the quantum of refund - upto 10K, 10-50K, 50K-1L....whether it goes to 1 or more officials.

Other Returns - from first timers, complicated cases, abnormal spikes n troughs - when compared to previous years' returns, new category of deductions/rebates claimed (like Edu Loan or Housing Loan), or those that are out of sync with AIS/TIS or those auto-picked for detailed scrutiny or disputed cases or those filed against notices or under revised returns category... All these might go to manual processing. Deviations n disallowances may also be forwarded for a 2nd level of approval.

These are only some illustrative examples.

If income is
1. Below 5 lakh: Processed in 2 days
2. 5-10 lakh: Processed in 7 days
3. 10-20 lakh: Processed in 1 month
4. 20-50 lakh: Processed in 3 months
5. >50 lakh: Processed in 5/6 months

*7 exceptions
1. Capital gain
2. AIS/26AS mismatch cases
3. Refund sought is more than 10% of total tax paid
4. Political donations
5. Sharp deviation in this year's income compared to last 3 year average
6. Cash transaction cases
7. PAN's flagged by financial institutions
There are many more exceptions not relevant to 95% tax payers like audit cases
Exception cases are processed within 6/9 months

Last edited:
If income is
1. Below 5 lakh: Processed in 2 days
2. 5-10 lakh: Processed in 7 days
3. 10-20 lakh: Processed in 1 month
4. 20-50 lakh: Processed in 3 months
5. >50 lakh: Processed in 5/6 months

*7 exceptions
1. Capital gain
2. AIS/26AS mismatch cases
3. Refund sought is more than 10% of total tax paid
4. Political donations
5. Sharp deviation in this year's income compared to last 3 year average
6. Cash transaction cases
7. PAN's flagged by financial institutions
There are many more exceptions not relevant to 95% tax payers like audit cases
Exception cases are processed within 6/9 months
This year, there are a lot of exceptional cases,
My income is between 5-10 lakhs, Filed ITR 4, But they took more than 1 months .
From your mentioned 7 exceptions, I didn't have any.

My ITR-2 filed on 21st July not processed till now.
Dad filed on 30th July and on 4th Aug he got process confirmation SMS.

Both of us are not expecting anything to be refunded

filed original ITR-1 on 1st july & it got processed on 6th Aug & refund issued today.

On seeing the TDS mismatch I had filed Revised return on 5tth Aug so want to know how it works now?

Last edited:
Back