• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

It's it possible to reverse the fees and close an HDFC credit card after annual fees haa been charged?

maynigam

TF Premier
Hello guys
My Regalia Gold was issued on 20th Sept 2023 and I emailed them on 19th Sept 2024 for LTF conversion and unfortunately the fees was also charged on 19th Sept 2024.
I don't have any other spends on the card and amount due is Fees+GST.
They have refused LTF conversion and are demanding that I clear the dues (fees + gst) and then apply for card closure.
What nonsense is this? How do I close the card without paying fees?

I do accept that it is my mistake. I thought that my card was issued in october and I had time to negotiate. I did not remember that it was issued in September!
I'm simply saying that since I have not used this card in this year, I want to close it and not be charged the fees! I understand that they may not accept my request.

Hello guys
My Regalia Gold was issued on 20th Sept 2023 and I emailed them on 19th Sept 2024 for LTF conversion and unfortunately the fees was also charged on 19th Sept 2024.
I don't have any other spends on the card and amount due is Fees+GST.
They have refused LTF conversion and are demanding that I clear the dues (fees + gst) and then apply for card closure.
What nonsense is this? How do I close the card without paying fees?
Have you done any transaction post charges were levied? If not, then you can call customer care and ask them to reverse fee and close the card. You can argue that fee is for renewal (upcoming year). Why should I pay complete fee for complete year when I am closing it now.
If you want deduct charges on pro rata basis for the few days after anniversary date.

PS: I have done this multiple times with Axis and SBI.

You can argue that fee is for renewal (upcoming year). Why should I pay complete fee for complete year when I am closing it now.
If you want deduct charges on pro rata basis for the few days after anniversary date.

That's good to know.

For those (in the future), ideal date to close a paid card is at least 7 working days days before the renewal date. One can find the renewal date from the email or SMS or by looking at the previous year statement if the card is too old.

7 working days is the period given by RBI for the banks to close the card. So, technically the banks can drag the closure request for a maximum of 7 working days.

So, for those who go by the rules, please remember this timeline and plan it accordingly.

I just closed a card this month while tbe renewal is the beginning of next month.

Last edited:
That's good to know.

For those (in the future), ideal date to close a paid card is at least 7 days before the renewal date. One can find the renewal date from the email or SMS or by looking at the previous year statement if the card is too old.

7 days is the period given by RBI for the banks to close the card. So, technically the banks can drag the closure request for a maximum 9f 7 days.

So, for those who go by the rules, please remember this timeline and plan it accordingly.

I just closed a card this month while tbe renewal is the beginning of next month.
7 business days

Have you done any transaction post charges were levied? If not, then you can call customer care and ask them to reverse fee and close the card. You can argue that fee is for renewal (upcoming year). Why should I pay complete fee for complete year when I am closing it now.

I have not done any transactions after fees. Nor have I done any transactions in the past 6 months or so.
Thanks for atleast understanding what I am trying to say. Others just enjoy bashing!
I will try your approach. Thanks

I didn't mention cars closure in my email. They just refused fees reversal.
Wow. I had been sending emails for fee reversal once fee's charged on my mom's Regalia for the past 4 years (closed it this year) and they do it immediately without any discussion.

Maybe it's because you asked to make it LTF or close initially.

Clear the dues then deal with the reversal.

Many companies don't mind or are open to discuss about these things, nobody wants a pissed off customer that feel they've just been ripped off.

Personally with Axis, I had my Samsung Visa Infinite charge me the annual fees on the 12th of X month, I did want to close the card and they kept they telling me I couldn't do it unless I didn't have any charge but I had en EMI that needed to be canceled in order to close the card. Once the EMI is canceled it showed up as new transaction then they kept insisting they can't reverse the charges anymore. The due was on the 18th and the card was closed on the 21th, reversal happened towards the end of the month.

I was talking to the powerless grunts. Let them close the request, drop them an email and then take it from there. After 1-2 weeks the charges were reversed and credited to my account.

Last edited:
Please tell me how. I don't want to waste my 2950 on this stupid card
HDFC Regalia is a fine card, though it is beaten by the likes of Infinia/DCB in terms of benefits / reward points and by Millennia / Tata Neu in terms of value. Calling it 'stupid' is taking it a bit too far. Regalia is especially good if you can use SmartBuy to book hotels/flights. The Rs 2500 + GST fee might even be worth it. Spends of 4L annually get you a waiver. I wouldn't suggest cancelling it unless you have another HDFC card with you and definitely not if you plan to upgrade to Infinia/DCB some day.

Back