• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

It's it possible to reverse the fees and close an HDFC credit card after annual fees haa been charged?

maynigam

TF Premier
Hello guys
My Regalia Gold was issued on 20th Sept 2023 and I emailed them on 19th Sept 2024 for LTF conversion and unfortunately the fees was also charged on 19th Sept 2024.
I don't have any other spends on the card and amount due is Fees+GST.
They have refused LTF conversion and are demanding that I clear the dues (fees + gst) and then apply for card closure.
What nonsense is this? How do I close the card without paying fees?

Can someone help me here ...
My 1st credit card is hdfc moneyback(2020) and upgraded to Mb+ and then to Millennia paid.

Now I got other cashback credit cards and swiggy hdfc credit card.
Most of my spends are out of Millennia and I spent around 40k this year with Millennia.
Now I want to escape 1000 rs annual fees in November.

Any suggestions?
I thought of closing this card, But this is my first card and I took 2nd card in 2022. If I close I loose my 2 years aprx credit age

Thanks in advance

Can someone help me here ...
My 1st credit card is hdfc moneyback(2020) and upgraded to Mb+ and then to Millennia paid.

Now I got other cashback credit cards and swiggy hdfc credit card.
Most of my spends are out of Millennia and I spent around 40k this year with Millennia.
Now I want to escape 1000 rs annual fees in November.

Any suggestions?
I thought of closing this card, But this is my first card and I took 2nd card in 2022. If I close I loose my 2 years aprx credit age

Thanks in advance
No you won’t loose credit age, it will be still shown based on your oldest credit card even it’s closed. Don’t worry about credit age it’s not a criteria for many banks for issuing credit cards. They mainly see on time payments & maybe no of enquiries, your salary, these are the major factors. Call customer care ask them convert the card to Ltf or say will close card. Of they convert the card keep it otherwise close it. Simple

When i come across the replies you’re giving, i thought you’re a TF neo or BUZZ member, but surprisingly you’re a premier member, that means you spent meaningful time on this forum. After realising you’re a premier member & particularly seeing the replay “rbi ombudsman”. Made me chuckle. Seriously dude what will rbi will do, these days rbi not even solving genuine problems, cases lying for 3+ months with no resolution. hdfc won’t reverse it & “if you say I’ll close the card unless you reverse the fee” they will happily let you go, coz there’s no business from you, as you said you’re not using the card. 1st of all pay the bill then negotiate, coz if you delay paying the due(even if it is a fee) your credit score will be ruined. So you’ll loose good score + money + rejections from banks especially from hdfc for future cards. Among all banks i find hdfc tough to negotiate, they won’t care about us, coz they’re adding new customers at rapid rate, so they don’t mind losing old no business customers. If it’s 🪓’s or Sbi you can negotiate to your heart’s content.

Good luck bro. I suggest you pay the bill if i’m not wrong the fee was near ₹3000. So don’t ruin good credit score for ₹3000. I say pay ₹3000 use card till august 2025 & Close it(if you wanna by that time)

Not paying the card payment when it is due was never a consideration for me. When bill is generated, I will definitely pay. I was just hoping that they will reverse the fees.
Anyways. There has been a new development.
Branch manager is offering me a paid Infinia based on NRV (only verbal assurance)
I really dont know if I should go for it! 12500+gst is a bit too much for any credit card for me! I have never considered Infinia before!
Looking for suggestion

I have Atlas(next year free), Eterna (will become LTF soon), SBI Octane (next year free), Tata Neu Infinity (paid) and HDFC Swiggy (LTF)
When i come across the replies you’re giving, i thought you’re a TF neo or BUZZ member, but surprisingly you’re a premier member, that means you spent meaningful time on this forum. After realising you’re a premier member & particularly seeing the replay “rbi ombudsman”. Made me chuckle. Seriously dude what will rbi will do, these days rbi not even solving genuine problems, cases lying for 3+ months with no resolution. hdfc won’t reverse it & “if you say I’ll close the card unless you reverse the fee” they will happily let you go, coz there’s no business from you, as you said you’re not using the card. 1st of all pay the bill then negotiate, coz if you delay paying the due(even if it is a fee) your credit score will be ruined. So you’ll loose good score + money + rejections from banks especially from hdfc for future cards. Among all banks i find hdfc tough to negotiate, they won’t care about us, coz they’re adding new customers at rapid rate, so they don’t mind losing old no business customers. If it’s 🪓’s or Sbi you can negotiate to your heart’s content.

Good luck bro. I suggest you pay the bill if i’m not wrong the fee was near ₹3000. So don’t ruin good credit score for ₹3000. I say pay ₹3000 use card till august 2025 & Close it(if you wanna by that time)
no

Not paying the card payment when it is due was never a consideration for me. When bill is generated, I will definitely pay. I was just hoping that they will reverse the fees.
Branch manager is offering me a paid Infinia based on NRV (only verbal assurance)
I really dont know if I should go for it! 12500+gst is a bit too much for any credit card for me! I have never considered Infinia before!
Looking for suggestion

I have Atlas(next year free), Eterna (will become LTF soon), SBI Octane (next year free), Tata Neu Infinity (paid) and HDFC Swiggy (LTF)
If you don’t have use case for infinia don’t go for it. As simple as that

Looking for suggestion

Your spends on Regalia were not even 4L which would have given you an annual fee waiver. I don't see how you can spend 10L on the Infinia to waive off its 12500 + GST annual fee.

Also, Regalia / Infinia / DCB are primarily travel based cards. If you or your family doesn't take flights or stays at hotels, those cards are useless for you unless you want to get into the ugly business of trading points or doing bookings for others. Some people cite Tanishq vouchers and Apple products at MRP as a good redemption option but I don't think that should be an important criteria for choosing Infinia.

For spends of a couple of lakhs a year or less, I always suggest people to go for cashback cards like Axis Ace or SBI Cashback or HDFC Millennia. They require no maintenance (i.e. track points) and annual spends of 2L waives the 500-1000 + GST annual fees.

Your spends on Regalia were not even 4L which would have given you an annual fee waiver. I don't see how you can spend 10L on the Infinia to waive off its 12500 + GST annual fee.

Also, Regalia / Infinia / DCB are primarily travel based cards. If you or your family doesn't take flights or stays at hotels, those cards are useless for you unless you want to get into the ugly business of trading points or doing bookings for others. Some people cite Tanishq vouchers and Apple products at MRP as a good redemption option but I don't think that should be an important criteria for choosing Infinia.

For spends of a couple of lakhs a year or less, I always suggest people to go for cashback cards like Axis Ace or SBI Cashback or HDFC Millennia. They require no maintenance (i.e. track points) and annual spends of 2L waives the 500-1000 + GST annual fees.
Don't use those grey cells too much into making assumptions bro!
I haven't spent on Regalia because it is non rewarding for me!
I have much more spends (much more than Infinia waiver criteria) on more rewarding cards like Atlas, Amex and BOB Eterna currently.
I use the above for travel related spends.
The purpose of this forum is to help each other, learn from each other and not to bash other members...

If you have high Smartbuy usecases, you can consider Infinia.
Even if you don't do 10 lakhs on it, you will get 12500 RP against fee. Only GST will be the cost.

If you have high Smartbuy usecases, you can consider Infinia.
Even if you don't do 10 lakhs on it, you will get 12500 RP against fee. Only GST will be the cost.
Thanks for your reply. I have never used smartbuy. It's it rewarding for buying amazon pay, Flipkart etc? There is a surcharge for amazon pay na?
What is the average value of 12500 points?

Thanks for your reply. I have never used smartbuy. It's it rewarding for buying amazon pay, Flipkart etc? There is a surcharge for amazon pay na?
What is the average value of 12500 points?
Smartbuy for Infinia:
- 15k RP monthly capping
- 16% RP on gift vouchers like Amazon shopping, Flipkart, Swiggy, Zomato, Uber etc
- 16% RP on Amazon Pay gift card but 2.something surcharge.
-33% RP on Pharmeasy and hotel booking
- 16% FP on flights

Redemption:
1 RP = 1 Rs
You can redeem for flights, hotels, Tanishq vouchers, apple products.
For redemption on flights/hotels, you won't get card specific offers like on MMT etc.
Max 70% can be settled with points.

I also own Infinia and Atlas, though Atlas transfer to Accor can't be matched but Infinia points are much more flexible as in you can book any flight or hotel at Rs 1 value per RP.

Don't use those grey cells too much into making assumptions bro!
I haven't spent on Regalia because it is non rewarding for me!
I have much more spends (much more than Infinia waiver criteria) on more rewarding cards like Atlas, Amex and BOB Eterna currently.
I use the above for travel related spends.
The purpose of this forum is to help each other, learn from each other and not to bash other members...
Bhai, I wasn't bashing you. I can see others have done that enough. If you revisit my message, you'll see there is no bashing involved. I just made the wrong assumption that you didn't spend 4L on Regalia because you don't spend that much on CCs. I was obviously wrong and should have probably prefixed a warning like "Assuming that...".

Smartbuy for Infinia:
- 15k RP monthly capping
- 16% RP on gift vouchers like Amazon shopping, Flipkart, Swiggy, Zomato, Uber etc
- 16% RP on Amazon Pay gift card but 2.something surcharge.
-33% RP on Pharmeasy and hotel booking
- 16% FP on flights

Redemption:
1 RP = 1 Rs
You can redeem for flights, hotels, Tanishq vouchers, apple products.
For redemption on flights/hotels, you won't get card specific offers like on MMT etc.
Max 70% can be settled with points.

I also own Infinia and Atlas, though Atlas transfer to Accor can't be matched but Infinia points are much more flexible as in you can book any flight or hotel at Rs 1 value per RP.
Also HDFC gives peace of mind.
Axis had blocked my 35k Edge miles in March.

Back