• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Marriott vs Accor points

It purely depends on the property u r looking for, Place extra.. But in general Accor points ( 1Accor Points =1.8rs Fixed Value) and Marriott MB ( 1Point = .5 to 6rs approx and Median is around .7rs)

Please compare Mariott points vs Accor points
The difference is like Fixed Income investment and Equity market investment

Accor is like safe bet, 1 points = ₹1.8
Marriott follow dynamic pricing. You might value of ₹0.1 also per point and ₹2+ too per point.
It depends how much value you can extrqct from these points.

If you are transferring from Axis, prefer Accor over Marriott.
If you are trasnferring drom Amex, Marriott hands down.

Depends on your personal needs with respect to choice of stay and travel locations
I always prefer Accor wherever the Accor properties are available because you get 1.85rs value per point against 65paise average for Marriott. The issue is Accor properties are very less, especially in India. Wherever Marriott properties gives higher value, i prefer Marriott. At times, I have got 1.5rs value per point as well on Marriott.

I recently joined this platform called SaveSage Club. It has helped me to track all my credit card rewards and loyalty programs with benefits at one place. Been very useful. They also have a consultation feature, I'm yet to try that though.

In general accor points are more valuable due to the fact that you can use accor points to pay at hotels at a value of Rs. 1.8/point.
In case of marriott, there is no fixed value, so it depends on the property and the going rate. Recently JW marriott masai mara is an example where, one can get insane value for marriott points. But you will not get any chance to book by points in high season I guess. In my understanding, with marriott one can get better value at higher end, expensive properties (ex: al maha in dubai, maldives properties etc).

And, if one is holding amex MRs, then mariott is almost the only way to get values as described in the port above.

Off course, one also need to consider which brand is present at the places where you want to be :)

In general accor points are more valuable due to the fact that you can use accor points to pay at hotels at a value of Rs. 1.8/point.
In case of marriott, there is no fixed value, so it depends on the property and the going rate. Recently JW marriott masai mara is an example where, one can get insane value for marriott points. But you will not get any chance to book by points in high season I guess. In my understanding, with marriott one can get better value at higher end, expensive properties (ex: al maha in dubai, maldives properties etc).

And, if one is holding amex MRs, then mariott is almost the only way to get values as described in the port above.

Off course, one also need to consider which brand is present at the places where you want to be :)
Accor points are not more valuable, because of the difference in the earning rate of both programs.

When you spend $100 at a participating Marriott hotel, you earn 1,000 points at base status and 1,750 points at top status. The reward rate here is 10% and 17.5% respectively.

When you spend $100 at a participating Accor hotel, you earn 234 points at base status and 467 points at top status. The reward rate here is 2.34% and 4.67% respectively.

If Marriott points (MP) and Accor points (AP) were different currencies, the conversion rate would fluctuate between 3.75 to 4.28.

Let's take an average value of 1 AP = 4 MP. So if you're considering 1.8 value for Accor points, that means Marriott only has to provide a value of 45 paise per point in order to come out ahead. And an average value as per TPG for a Marriott point is 71 paise.

For the hotels I checked, Marriott points were 43 paisa.
However, Marriott room nights are highly overpriced to give this 43 paisa value per point. Good examples of overpriced room nights are Marriott hotels in Maldives and Masai mara

If you consider a fair room rate, the Marriott point value would be much less, closer to the 33 paisa value given by Amex for Amazon pay 18k gold collection (6000 Amazon pay for 18000 Amex points)

For the hotels I checked, Marriott points were 43 paisa. However, Marriott room nights are highly overpriced to give this 43 paisa value per point.

If you consider a fair room rate, the Marriott point value would be much less, closer to the 33 paisa value given by Amex for Amazon pay 18k gold collection (6000 Amazon pay for 18000 Amex points)
Marriott hotels are priced higher than Accor in general, that's true! But it's also more luxurious compared to Accor, and does a much better job at recognising status.

But conversion rate heavily depends on what you're booking. Marriott's dynamic pricing helps me maintain a reward rate of 1+. In fact, my average for this year is 1.9 for total of 28 nights stay.

The problem with Accor is, everyone is getting 1.8 rate. And when everyone is getting something, no one is getting anything! As the guy wrote above, JW Maasai Mara deal was in fact something. I booked this resort for 93k points for 5 nights last year, something you can't do when value of your points is fixed.

Last edited:
Marriott hotels are priced higher than Accor in general, that's true! But it's also more luxurious compared to Accor.

But conversion rate heavily depends on what you're booking. Marriott's dynamic pricing helps me maintain a reward rate of 1+. In fact, my average for this year is 1.9 for total of 28 nights stay.

The problem with Accor is, everyone is getting 1.8 rate. And when everyone is getting something, no one is getting anything! As the guy wrote above, JW Maasai Mara deal was in fact something. I booked this resort for 93k points last year, something you can't do when value of your points is fixed.
93000 points per room night? That's absurd, even if you get close encounters with the big 5--lion cheetah elephant rhino and buffalo

If you want to keep life simple go for accor, no brainer you get exact value out of it so hotel booking is the last thing on your mind.

If you like spending time looking for the best value and plan your trip date, location etc according to hotels in life go for marriot.

I'm waiting to do the math once our Mr Viral @anirban.choudhury shares more details on value for points, but personally I've never found 1.9 or anything close to that as value from marriot maybe because I have inflexible dates for my trips.

Also someone mentioned earning points is better which is true but for most of the people on this forum the purpose is to use points from credit cards efficiently and cc points to accor is just better for everyone but amex (cause amex doesn't have any other option)

Marriott points redemption guide
Only the first 20 hotels give 1.87 or more.
The next 20 give 1.53 to 1.87
I have seen this before on Reddit. The list isn't up to date, and considers average value. Rates vary according to the season. Also, best redemption rates are found at new properties, something that isn't included in this list. TA'AKTANA in Labuan Bajo, Indonesia opened in May, but at least I couldn't find that in the list.

And one big factor is how early you book. Le Meridien and JW Mauritius are listed at 34k and 58k points a night in that list. I booked those resorts for 26k and 47k points a night, in peak season. Just that my booking was done well in advance.

I have seen this before on Reddit. The list isn't up to date, and considers average value. Rates vary according to the season. Also, best redemption rates are found at new properties, something that isn't included in this list. TA'AKTANA in Labuan Bajo, Indonesia opened in May, but at least I couldn't find that in the list.

And one big factor is how early you book. Le Meridien and JW Mauritius are listed at 34k and 58k points a night in that list. I booked those resorts for 26k and 47k points a night, in peak season. Just that my booking was done well in advance.
With Accor, usually the price reduces closer to the date, when there are unsold rooms

If you want to keep life simple go for accor, no brainer you get exact value out of it so hotel booking is the last thing on your mind.

If you like spending time looking for the best value and plan your trip date, location etc according to hotels in life go for marriot.

I'm waiting to do the math once our Mr Viral @anirban.choudhury shares more details on value for points, but personally I've never found 1.9 or anything close to that as value from marriot maybe because I have inflexible dates for my trips.

Also someone mentioned earning points is better which is true but for most of the people on this forum the purpose is to use points from credit cards efficiently and cc points to accor is just better for everyone but amex (cause amex doesn't have any other option)
That's true
Accor is plain simple and that's what also makes it boring for the miles enthusiast

Miles enthusiast are interested when they can derive exponential returns , where as accor points irrespective of where it's redeemed , when it's redeemed it will also give you a flat rate of 1:1.8 which is good but lacks the surprise element.

Even ITC sometimes gives award nights promo but since accor doesn't have any concept of award nights , there are no promos.

But all said for begineers and 90% users accor ppints are more valuable than Marriot
But for seasoned miles enthusiast they would choose Marriot almost always Ober accor but accor would still be there goto BNB like Novotel, IBIS etc.

Just like any other point redemption marriot also gives best value when you can be little flexible with your dates, If you are not flexible accor or ITC is your best friend , but again that would mean you would most probably mis out on FFP's too as they too are helpful for flexible bookings

HDFC points can no doubt be a very good resource for non flexible travellers as they would anyway give you 1:1 return always

This is true, Accor does offer simplicity. But I was speaking more from perspective of a frequent traveler.

If your only goal is to travel as much as you can with your available Accor points balance, then it is indeed the best membership program for you. In my case, I do about 30 nights on points and 30 nights on cash in a year. The cash component makes up for everything here. Starting from April until now, I have spent ₹416k at Marriott hotels (post taxes) and earned 79k points. This points earnings will go up to 150k to 200k by the end of the year, and it would have been far, far lower had I spent this at Accor properties instead. So the minute you start traveling by cash, Accor program goes down the drain.

I've gotten a rate of 1+ at so many properties, on inflexible dates. And this conversion rate doesn't account for complimentary elite benefits. One of the very important contributing factor in a good redemption rate is, my bookings are done way in advance, like almost 8-11 months out.

One of the biggest advantage of Accor is ability to burn points on all other incidentals including food, alcohol, spa etc....

In my previous stay, I was able to enjoy some premium alcohols, exotic food items and spa. All these items at 25-33% discount due to Accor Gold. Bill on these items was almost half of my stay price and all was burned on points. You cannot do this at Marriott (May be you can, but at poor value)

People say that Marriott gives good value if dates are flexible... In my opinion that is a BIG IF. Marriott is not meant for impromptu traveller at all. Plus no breakfast is really a big negative (apart from some exceptions on request)

One of the biggest advantage of Accor is ability to burn points on all other incidentals including food, alcohol, spa etc....

In my previous stay, I was able to enjoy some premium alcohols, exotic food items and spa. All these items at 25-33% discount due to Accor Gold. Bill on these items was almost half of my stay price and all was burned on points. You cannot do this at Marriott (May be you can, but at poor value)

People say that Marriott gives good value if dates are flexible... In my opinion that is a BIG IF. Marriott is not meant for impromptu traveller at all. Plus no breakfast is really a big negative (apart from some exceptions on request)
Bro it's a game of status. As a Titanium elite member, I get both complimentary breakfast as well as executive lounge access. Executive lounge offers free alcohol and quick bites in the evening. It's 100% off, not 30% off. And this is after the standard F&B discount for anything you consume outside of the lounge. Membership benefits exist in both programs, and Marriott comfortably leads in this space as well.

Back