• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Marriott vs Accor points

Bro it's a game of status. As a Titanium elite member, I get both complimentary breakfast as well as executive lounge access. Executive lounge offers free alcohol and quick bites in the evening. It's 100% off, not 30% off. And this is after the standard F&B discount for anything you consume outside of the lounge. Membership benefits exist in both programs, and Marriott comfortably leads in this space as well.
See if you are a Titanium status, then you are an outlier in this discussion. Question is more on Accor Silver vs Marriott silver or at max gold

OP has asked generic view on which points / stays are better... If you with Titanium status is saying that Marriott is best then it is a different thing and no one is going to argue on that.

I don't think anyone with Titanium status on Marriott is even going to even ask this question like OP did :ROFLMAO:

See if you are a Titanium status, then you are an outlier in this discussion. Question is more on Accor Silver vs Marriott silver or at max gold

OP has asked generic view on which points / stays are better... If you with Titanium status is saying that Marriott is best then it is a different thing and no one is going to argue on that.

I don't think anyone with Titanium status on Marriott is even going to even ask this question like OP did :ROFLMAO:
My argument was more in line with both base and higher tier status of both programs. There are people who are holding higher status with Accor as well, and one clearly does it better than the other. For example, Marriott Platinum starts giving out complimentary breakfast worldwide except at the Ritz. Accor Platinum only offers complimentary breakfast within Asia Pacific region. Sure you can pay with points outside of this region, but it still makes a difference because with Marriott, you can get away by booking room rate only. You don't have to pay extra for breakfast at all.

My reply was more to the generic comparison of Accor and Marriott because a lot gets overlooked in such comparison. Accor is indeed good for limited traveling as long as you're only burning points. Post that, Marriott comes out ahead.

My argument was more in line with both base and higher tier status of both programs. There are people who are holding higher status with Accor as well, and one clearly does it better than the other. For example, Marriott Platinum starts giving out complimentary breakfast worldwide except at the Ritz. Accor Platinum only offers complimentary breakfast within Asia Pacific region. Sure you can pay with points outside of this region, but it still makes a difference because with Marriott, you can get away by booking room rate only. You don't have to pay extra for breakfast at all.

My reply was more to the generic comparison of Accor and Marriott because a lot gets overlooked in such comparison. Accor is indeed good for limited traveling as long as you're only burning points. Post that, Marriott comes out ahead.
You can directly book rooms with breakfast (even half board) on Accor irrespective of status and use points. On Marriott you cannot do that and even gold is not guaranteed of breakfast. You have to pay cash for breakfast which will be significantly overpriced. There is not even a comparison on this front

And as I said, no point in bringing Marriott Platinum in this comparison. Max people can manage is Gold and that too via Amex Plat Charge. Platinum and above is only possible if you are a die hard Marriott loyalist or doing corporate travel

P.S: All arguments are due to the fact that you can accumulate truck load of Accor points due to Axis credit cards. Not comparing the revenue stays!

You can directly book rooms with breakfast (even half board) on Accor irrespective of status and use points. On Marriott you cannot do that and even gold is not guaranteed of breakfast. You have to pay cash for breakfast which will be significantly overpriced. There is not even a comparison on this front

And as I said, no point in bringing Marriott Platinum in this comparison. Max people can manage is Gold and that too via Amex Plat Charge. Platinum and above is only possible if you are a die hard Marriott loyalist or doing corporate travel

P.S: All arguments are due to the fact that you can accumulate truck load of Accor points due to Axis credit cards. Not comparing the revenue stays!
I do agree with the breakfast benefit, and my point is that this takes a complete U-turn once you go above Gold, which is where most frequent travelers are. Accor is good till Gold, post that it's not even competing. Marriott on the other hand treats Gold more like as a ladder to Platinum, where its actual benefits are. You obviously have to look at both sides, otherwise there is no basis for a comparison like this. Most people attain for higher status in any membership, not lower. If Accor started selling Platinum status today, you can't tell me people wouldn't start jumping on it right away.

I always prefer Accor wherever the Accor properties are available because you get 1.85rs value per point against 65paise average for Marriott. The issue is Accor properties are very less, especially in India. Wherever Marriott properties gives higher value, i prefer Marriott. At times, I have got 1.5rs value per point as well on Marriott.

I recently joined this platform called SaveSage Club. It has helped me to track all my credit card rewards and loyalty programs with benefits at one place. Been very useful. They also have a consultation feature, I'm yet to try that though.
There seems to be a waitlist, how does it actually work?

I do agree with the breakfast benefit, and my point is that this takes a complete U-turn once you go above Gold, which is where most frequent travelers are. Accor is good till Gold, post that it's not even competing. Marriott on the other hand treats Gold more like as a ladder to Platinum, where its actual benefits are. You obviously have to look at both sides, otherwise there is no basis for a comparison like this. Most people attain for higher status in any membership, not lower. If Accor started selling Platinum status today, you can't tell me people wouldn't start jumping on it right away.
Yes I do agree that things change for Marriott Platinum onwards. But how to reach platinum?

At a base tier level, Accor is so much better, then why would anyone spend money on Marriott base tiers to reach platinum?

By the way, I have also done occasional stays at Marriott as I use Amex cards. I am a frequent traveller too, but it is not enough to reach Marriott platinum, and it is probably true with many other folks. I get good value on Marriott points only 40-50% of the times as my dates are usually not flexible

On a different not, I have booking in december 1st week for x rupees (flexible rate). closer to end november, i think i would getting at 0.8x, should I
1. book november end FIRST
2. cancel december 1st week booking

or
1. cancel december 1st week booking FIRST
2. book november end booking

Since it is FREE cancellation will there be an issue with ACCOR?

On a different not, I have booking in december 1st week for x rupees (flexible rate). closer to end november, i think i would getting at 0.8x, should I
1. book november end FIRST
2. cancel december 1st week booking

or
1. cancel december 1st week booking FIRST
2. book november end booking

Since it is FREE cancellation will there be an issue with ACCOR?
free cancellation no issue!!

Yes I do agree that things change for Marriott Platinum onwards. But how to reach platinum?

At a base tier level, Accor is so much better, then why would anyone spend money on Marriott base tiers to reach platinum?

By the way, I have also done occasional stays at Marriott as I use Amex cards. I am a frequent traveller too, but it is not enough to reach Marriott platinum, and it is probably true with many other folks. I get good value on Marriott points only 40-50% of the times as my dates are usually not flexible
One way to quickly achieve Platinum status with Marriott is by contacting their customer care and requesting a Platinum Challenge. In most cases, they will require you to complete 16 paid nights within three months of enrolling in the challenge to qualify for Platinum status. Once achieved, the status is valid for one year. You can time your enrollment based on your business or personal travel schedule.

Marriott points redemption guide
Worldwide --
Only the first 20 hotels give 1.87 or more.
The next 20 give 1.53 to 1.87
In India --
19 hotels give more than one rupee value
That's so untrue. Have a 3 Nights stay in the coming weeks in a Courtyard for 3 Adults. 33,600 MB Points for 3 Nights worth about $500 (Rs. 42,000) and in a South East Asian Country.

These points were transferred during the 30% Bonus. So effectively, 25,800 MB Points for 3 Nights.

Add to it, I am a MB Platinum. Breakfast & Lounge Access included.

I have booked multiple hotels with a value per point over 1 Re. I still value MB Points @ 50 Paise per point for Reward Rate Calculations though.

I stayed in Accor over the past few trips - Mauritius, Europe, Singapore, Vietnam - Except Sofitel in Vietnam, none came close to giving a good service as per the brand. Stayed with Novotel, Grand Mercure, SO Sofitel, Sofitel. The only key point for all the stays was 2000 Accor Points = 40 Euros. 3 Different Novotels in Europe and pretty much all felt like Bed & Breakfast types of South East Asia. Booked the biggest Suite in Novotel Barcelona City and it was smaller than the upgraded room (Not Suite) that I got in Westin Valencia.

On the other hand, booked 2 Rooms in Westin Powai for 4 Adults. One with HDFC Marriott FNA, One with 15,000 Points. As a Platinum Elite, I am eligible for Breakfast and Lounge access to only one room (2 Adults). Westin went beyond this and gave it complimentary for all 4.

These simple things matter.

You need to know on how to reach Platinum faster instead of that 50 Nights criteria. A little money spent on mattress runs can go a long way. Timing the Mattress runs are important. I have done two Mattress runs in the past 4 years. Spent less 75K on these Mattress Runs cumulatively. Got 2 Years of Titanium Status and 3 Years of Platinum Status courtesy these Mattress runes. So its like buying status @ 15-20K a Year which is anyways the same thing that people are doing with Accor by buying Accor Plus @ 11-12K.

Obviously, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum would require you to spend a little more than Accor but then with it comes quality, Complimentary Breakfast & Complimentary Lounge Access.

Last edited:
You need to know on how to reach Platinum faster instead of that 50 Nights criteria. A little money spent on mattress runs can go a long way. Timing the Mattress runs are important. I have done two Mattress runs in the past 4 years. Spent less 75K on these Mattress Runs cumulatively. Got 2 Years of Titanium Status and 3 Years of Platinum Status courtesy these Mattress runes. So its like buying status @ 15-20K a Year which is anyways the same thing that people are doing with Accor by buying Accor Plus @ 11-12K.

Obviously, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum would require you to spend a little more than Accor but then with it comes quality, Complimentary Breakfast & Complimentary Lounge Access.
can you plz explain how to did you plan the Mattress run . I would like to know the trick with just 75k

All Marriott pro arguments are good if you are MB Platinum and above. If your profession allows you to gain MB Platinum, great!

Although personally I would not agree on Mattress run approach to achieve the elite tier. And I don't think the Covid time fast-track elite promotion will come back anytime soon

@Tejas - You are an influencer and have lots to gain by achieving the tier and publicising on social media. For you it is part of profession. You would probably gain lot more business and lot more referrals if you showed the images of upgrades and Elite status posts. So thats understood. Don't think it is worth for normal folks on personal money - at least when we compare accor vs marriott points

You need to stay 50 nights at Marriott (40 if you're holding HDFC Marriott card) and 60 nights at Accor to reach Platinum. I'm not sure if you can get Accor night credits from credit cards; if you're able to do that, it's even better. If you are in fact traveling for these many nights but dividing the stays between the two, then you're missing out on a lot by not putting everything on a single brand. Even with Accor Platinum, you unlock (2) Suite Night Upgrades, and most importantly lounge access. This can reduce your drinks and dinner cost significantly. And each Suite Night Upgrade can be easily worth ₹20k, even more at resorts.

In a good year, my average is 33-33-33. 33% paid nights, 33% award nights, and 33% bonus nights. Bonus nights include 10 from HDFC Marriott card and the rest from Marriott's Q1 promotion where they give double elite night credits on all paid stays. So to become Platinum in Marriott, you'd need to do 17 paid nights and 17 award nights on average in a calendar year.

I'm able to use points only on half of stays, where I'm getting good redemption value. And quite honestly, I don't mind paying for the remaining stays where I'm not getting redemption deals, considering that these stays don't cost a lot and the earnings rate is very generous. I booked base room without breakfast at Fairfield Agra earlier this year for ₹4.5k a night. Because of my status, I got complimentary breakfast and was upgraded to a suite that costs ₹10k a night, and earned 6.8k points (base + elite bonus + Marriott's promo) in return. All in all, this is a good deal, considering that there are no other hotels in the city willing to give me a suite for ₹4.5k a night. You'll surely find cheaper Accor hotels here as long as you're going for the base room, but one major difference in both is that Accor helps you save money by providing limited benefits, whereas Marriott offers you elevated benefits while keeping the price higher. And I have received so many massive upgrades with Marriott. My reservation in JW Mauritius (base room booked using 47k points a night) was upgraded from ₹80k a night room to a ₹187k a night suite. This is one of the reasons I don't take pricing of both at face value, because once you're done scratching the surface, you'll find a lot of other key differences which makes Marriott far more luxurious, rewarding, and exclusive than Accor.

drsel did mention yesterday that Marriott is overpriced in Mara. Fairmont Mara will cost you what, 60k points on a good night in peak season? JW Mara will easily cost you 120k points a night in the same season. But to really compare JW Mara and Fairmont Mara, you have to see what both these resorts offer. Both are all-inclusive hotels, includes game drives and all. But no one talks about the exclusivity of the resort and game drives. Fairmont has 20 Land Cruisers between 51 rooms, JW has 12 Land Cruisers between 21 rooms, and they have ordered 12 more. Which means starting from sometime next year, JW will have private safari vehicle for all guests, compared to Fairmont where a vehicle is shared between 2-3 rooms if the hotel is running at full capacity. Fairmont Mara does offer private safari, but the cost of that will easily fill the difference between that of two hotels. We were lucky enough to have a private vehicle to ourselves on our last day, so I can tell that there is good difference between shared safari and private safari. You're pretty much free to do whatever you want on private safari, and the guides are very accommodating. A hotel will always cost more when it's offering exclusivity.

You need to stay 50 nights at Marriott (40 if you're holding HDFC Marriott card) and 60 nights at Accor to reach Platinum. I'm not sure if you can get Accor night credits from credit cards; if you're able to do that, it's even better. If you are in fact traveling for these many nights but dividing the stays between the two, then you're missing out on a lot by not putting everything on a single brand. Even with Accor Platinum, you unlock (2) Suite Night Upgrades, and most importantly lounge access. This can reduce your drinks and dinner cost significantly. And each Suite Night Upgrade can be easily worth ₹20k, even more at resorts.

In a good year, my average is 33-33-33. 33% paid nights, 33% award nights, and 33% bonus nights. Bonus nights include 10 from HDFC Marriott card and the rest from Marriott's Q1 promotion where they give double elite night credits on all paid stays. So to become Platinum in Marriott, you'd need to do 17 paid nights and 17 award nights on average in a calendar year.

I'm able to use points only on half of stays, where I'm getting good redemption value. And quite honestly, I don't mind paying for the remaining stays where I'm not getting redemption deals, considering that these stays don't cost a lot and the earnings rate is very generous. I booked base room without breakfast at Fairfield Agra earlier this year for ₹4.5k a night. Because of my status, I got complimentary breakfast and was upgraded to a suite that costs ₹10k a night, and earned 6.8k points (base + elite bonus + Marriott's promo) in return. All in all, this is a good deal, considering that there are no other hotels in the city willing to give me a suite for ₹4.5k a night. You'll surely find cheaper Accor hotels here as long as you're going for the base room, but one major difference in both is that Accor helps you save money by providing limited benefits, whereas Marriott offers you elevated benefits while keeping the price higher. And I have received so many massive upgrades with Marriott. My reservation in JW Mauritius (base room booked using 47k points a night) was upgraded from ₹80k a night room to a ₹187k a night suite. This is one of the reasons I don't take pricing of both at face value, because once you're done scratching the surface, you'll find a lot of other key differences which makes Marriott far more luxurious, rewarding, and exclusive than Accor.

drsel did mention yesterday that Marriott is overpriced in Mara. Fairmont Mara will cost you what, 60k points on a good night in peak season? JW Mara will easily cost you 120k points a night in the same season. But to really compare JW Mara and Fairmont Mara, you have to see what both these resorts offer. Both are all-inclusive hotels, includes game drives and all. But no one talks about the exclusivity of the resort and game drives. Fairmont has 20 Land Cruisers between 51 rooms, JW has 12 Land Cruisers between 21 rooms, and they have ordered 12 more. Which means starting from sometime next year, JW will have private safari vehicle for all guests, compared to Fairmont where a vehicle is shared between 2-3 rooms if the hotel is running at full capacity. Fairmont Mara does offer private safari, but the cost of that will easily fill the difference between that of two hotels. We were lucky enough to have a private vehicle to ourselves on our last day, so I can tell that there is good difference between shared safari and private safari. You're pretty much free to do whatever you want on private safari, and the guides are very accommodating. A hotel will always cost more when it's offering exclusivity.
Agreed with ur Mara Part Stayed in Fairmont in May end This year.. There is a huge Difference in the service, Quality & Luxury. But Everyone cant Afford Luxury even if its given free. What is understand is Any Hotel/Airline for Fresher is to get free stay without using any real cash. For Intermediate Person its a Mix n Match of Luxury(using Points & Status) with some Real Cash Spend. For Experts its all about experience & Luxury and what can be derived to fullest.

I Might be wrong with the above tho

Agreed with ur Mara Part Stayed in Fairmont in May end This year.. There is a huge Difference in the service, Quality & Luxury. But Everyone cant Afford Luxury even if its given free. What is understand is Any Hotel/Airline for Fresher is to get free stay without using any real cash. For Intermediate Person its a Mix n Match of Luxury(using Points & Status) with some Real Cash Spend. For Experts its all about experience & Luxury and what can be derived to fullest.

I Might be wrong with the above tho
You're pretty much correct, and I use the same mix and match strategy. Using cash at budget and premium hotels; and using points at premium and luxury hotels.

Curious, as a platinum member, do you ask for upgrades on checkin or is it offered upfront by the people at the frontdesk?

Never asked for it. Not getting upgraded is mostly an issue in US as status is highly diluted there. We don't have that issue here, mainly in Asia, Middle East and Africa.

Also, asking at the front desk barely works, because most of the time your room gets upgraded a day prior to your arrival and the same is reflected in the app as well. So there's very little chance that they'll upgrade you at the time of check-in, if they didn't upgrade you prior to your arrival.

Back