• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Minimum Jio recharge to receive OTP

MrJJ

TF Premier
Did further research and found that according to TRAI if your number has at least ₹20 main balance and it's in active use (receiving 1 call a month i think) then companies can not deactivate the number.
But companies can use the main balance to extend the validity period.

So except jio and bsnl other companies stopped offering top-up recharges. Except jio every company makes sure the balance is used to extend the validity so there is 0 main balance remaining.

I just checked and found ₹7.47 top-up balance in my jio number. It's from a ₹10 recharge I did years ago and don't even remember why.

Screenshot_20240120-214229.png

MrJJ

TF Premier
Another useful information :
In Jammu & Kashmir there are sims being offered with pre-on-post plans where ₹10 bill is generated every month which you have to pay, and to add any further plan benefits you can recharge with any prepaid plan.

The thing is even if you just pay ₹10 monthly bill and don't do any further recharge, your sim will stay active, it will receive calls and OTPs like normal.

This plan is offered by all operators (confirmed airtel and jio), but only in J&K.

You can port your SIM to J&k if you ever visit there, to get this plan.

Downside: Can only pay bill and do recharge from Airtel Thanks & My Jio app.

Confirmed this from my uncle who has J&K airtel sim and from a friend who's relative has a Jio sim from j&k.

SpidySpider

TF Premier
Even I had jio number before 2-3 yrs for which the sim card was discarded, what do you all suggest, take a new number or reactivate the old number(if available) since I don't want to spend much on that sim, just for messages mainly & would try and recharge with any top up plan (₹10) so as to keep it working