• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Multiple Loan fraud using my Brother in Law's PAN

can you also check with him if he evsr shared any otp with anyone?
I would like to know how big a loophole this is.
No. He hasn't. I am a banker so that was my first thought too. While perusing his CIBIL history, it seems the loans have started in 2021 and gradually ramped up in amount. He was not aware as the email id was not updated in CIBIL and the mobile numbers updated seem to be fraudulent and not owned by him.

You have told his score is 620..That means you are able to access his score...Do following points...
1.Note down the lenders name as per cibil and approach them directly through customer care or nearest branch available of bank/NBFC.
2. Dispute all the accounts in CIBIL As account doesnot belongs to me using cibil portal or from where you are checking score or via cibil customer care . its flag a concern because CIBIL forward the case to bank and chances are there lenders reverify the cuatomer.
3.If phone and email id is there in Cibil then contact the person byself and aprehend him.
4.Approach police and cyber cell and lodge complaint there for forging of identity and financial fraud..

Police Alone cant make your case reach desired result.You have to act proactively to deal with such cases.
This is what i did.
1- Lenders are mostly BNPL with less online presence.I have first disputed all the ten acccounts(including the repaid and closed acccounts) using the CIBIL Dispute Tool.
2. Done as stated above
3. Not advisable as I don't want them to get my BIL's actual contact number
4.That seems to be the last option if the RBI ombudsman route fails

No. He hasn't. I am a banker so that was my first thought too. While perusing his CIBIL history, it seems the loans have started in 2021 and gradually ramped up in amount. He was not aware as the email id was not updated in CIBIL and the mobile numbers updated seem to be fraudulent and not owned by him.
i guess some bank employee who was in charge of due diligence and kyc messed up or did this scam. otherwise without verification (either inperson or otp) it should be impossible to disburse loan.

i guess some bank employee who was in charge of due diligence and kyc messed up or did this scam. otherwise without verification (either inperson or otp) it should be impossible to disburse loan.
Not sure because there are more than 4-5 lenders. Like Bajaj Finance, Dhani etc. And the numbers showing in the CIBIL report are all unknown numbers from Jharkhand, especially the Bistupur area. My BIL has never been there.

can you also check with him if he evsr shared any otp with anyone?
I would like to know how big a loophole this is.
What seems to have happened as per my investigation(if you can call it that, lol!) is someone got a hold of his PAN card image or number and managed to forge it. Then, using a dummy number, they availed of a small loan online of Rs 1000 from a BNPL. Repaid it in full. They they took another of Rs 2000, then Rs 3000 and lastly Rs 5000. All repaid in full. This happened over a course of 1 year so that the CIBIL score had time to build.

Then they took a big loan of Rs 70000 from Bajaj Finance and another loan from another BNPL for Rs 9800( which shows credited to Samsung, so am assuming a phone purchase)

Not sure because there are more than 4-5 lenders. Like Bajaj Finance, Dhani etc. And the numbers showing in the CIBIL report are all unknown numbers from Jharkhand, especially the Bistupur area. My BIL has never been there.
i mean the first loan account that was given out - the company that gave out the first loan - their employee who was in charge of verifying the identity did it without having the customer in front of him and that's how the other mobile number got submitted to cibil. after that all other companies would have used that other number only to verify, without knowing that it is not the same person. just trying to guess.
the person who first entered the fraud number into the system is at fault.

i mean the first loan account that was given out - the company that gave out the first loan - their employee who was in charge of verifying the identity did it without having the customer in front of him and that's how the other mobile number got submitted to cibil. after that all other companies would have used that other number only to verify, without knowing that it is not the same person. just trying to guess.
the person who first entered the fraud number into the system is at fault.
Hmm, you have a point. But multiple mobile numbers have been used. One of them even shows up in Trucaller as CG Cheater(the number is from Chattisgarh).

Hmm, you have a point. But multiple mobile numbers have been used. One of them even shows up in Trucaller as CG Cheater(the number is from Chattisgarh).
the first fraud mobile number was registered by fraud person incharge of inputting the details in the system. all the other numbers would have been added after sending confirmation otp on that number and so on. better leave it to the police, all you can do is reset the cibil score and involve rbi. are there any outstanding loans under his name, or are they all paid up?

but if such is the case, then none of us is safe.

the first fraud mobile number was registered by fraud person incharge of inputting the details in the system. all the other numbers would have been added after sending confirmation otp on that number and so on. better leave it to the police, all you can do is reset the cibil score and involve rbi. are there any outstanding loans under his name, or are they all paid up?

but if such is the case, then none of us is safe.
Bajaj Finserv- Sanctioned 70000, outstanding -140000. The loan has been written off.
Apart from this, there's the loan of 9800 which opened this Pandora's box and some other small loans of Rs 1000-2000.

I hope CIBIL gives us an option to lock our credit like it allows in Europe and US.

This is really serious. What is the use in linking aadhar and Pan if PAN is forged or scammed with another mobile number for loan fraud without the knowledge of holder? It is High time this credit/loan business is tightly regulated.

This is really serious. What is the use in linking aadhar and Pan if PAN is forged or scammed with another mobile number for loan fraud without the knowledge of holder? It is High time this credit/loan business is tightly regulated.
AADHAR PAN linking is more about stopping multiple PAN cards being used by one individual. In this case, my BIL's AADHAR has not been used. The CIBIL report I generated only has his PAN card and voter card.

AADHAR PAN linking is more about stopping multiple PAN cards being used by one individual. In this case, my BIL's AADHAR has not been used. The CIBIL report I generated only has his PAN card and voter card.
Yes I understand that. Why can't just mobile number seeded with aadhar be linked to Pan card? And if there is any PAN verification needed by credit card or loan companies, you get a OTP to authorize. It may help to prevent misuse of Pan.

Yes I understand that. Why can't just mobile number seeded with aadhar be linked to Pan card? And if there is any PAN verification needed by credit card or loan companies, you get a OTP to authorize. It may help to prevent misuse of Pan.
This is the case for ICICI card i guess. Mother applied for a ICICI credit card and they needed a message authorising CIBIL retrieval.

I already mailed them today. Let's see what is their response.
Hopefully it will be rectified
This is what i did.
1- Lenders are mostly BNPL with less online presence.I have first disputed all the ten acccounts(including the repaid and closed acccounts) using the CIBIL Dispute Tool.
2. Done as stated above
3. Not advisable as I don't want them to get my BIL's actual contact number
4.That seems to be the last option if the RBI ombudsman route fails
Good to see..you are already proactively enganged ..

Have you checked the Aadhaar authentication history to verify that it hasn't been used?

Back