• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Need Advice - Amex Platinum Charge credit card

amitr29

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Hi Guys,

Need a help on American Express Platinum Charge card. I applied for card and received it real quick. From application to card in hand took 40 hours exact. I have been seeing posts on 1.25 lacs MR points, if you apply through the upgrade link. I called up customer care and insisted on points instead of Taj Vouchers. They declined.

I have not activated the card yet. I have a option of going for Platinum Travel card and cancelling the Platinum Charge card. Maybe, after 4-5 months, I will get the offer to upgrade with MR points.

I do want the card, as I travel a lot but don't want to spend 72k and lose on a good deal.

Please let help me with your experiences. Thanx

SMGROW

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I had received MR points instead of Taj Vouchers. I did not activate my card and placed a request through the customer care for MR points stating that Taj Vouchers are no good for me as most of my travel is in North America. They took the request and approved the MR points option in 2-3 days.

You may like to call them again and ask the customer care to take the request/escalate. Most likely, upon review they will approve the MR points option.

Good luck!

amitr29

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I had received MR points instead of Taj Vouchers. I did not activate my card and placed a request through the customer care for MR points stating that Taj Vouchers are no good for me as most of my travel is in North America. They took the request and approved the MR points option in 2-3 days.

You may like to call them again and ask the customer care to take the request/escalate. Most likely, upon review they will approve the MR points option.

Good luck!
@SMGROW Thanks buddy! How many points did you get? Was it 100000 or 125000? Someone told me 100000 points are only worth 40k Taj vouchers, so better to take Taj vouchers of 45k as joining benefit. Is it true

SMGROW

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
@SMGROW Thanks buddy! How many points did you get? Was it 100000 or 125000? Someone told me 100000 points are only worth 40k Taj vouchers, so better to take Taj vouchers of 45k as joining benefit. Is it true
They offered 100K points, which I accepted. In my case, I will transfer MR points to Marriott Bonvoy as most of my travel is to the US. I am able to get at minimum 75p per MB for stays in US.

CARDBITRAGE

TF Ace
They offered 100K points, which I accepted. In my case, I will transfer MR points to Marriott Bonvoy as most of my travel is to the US. I am able to get at minimum 75p per MB for stays in US.
You must have considerable spends on your Amex card. They didn't offer points to a lot of people and were only open to giving Taj vouchers.

amitr29

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I will call them and try again. Let's see. I thought 100k miles will be 56k taj Vouchers, so a gain of 11k

nigameash

TF Select
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Taj vouchers (whether the value be 40k or 60k) are pretty weak compared to 100-125k MR points as the MR points can be transferred to MB @ 1:1 which can get you some pretty sweet redemptions assuming you are looking at higher end properties.

Here's an example -

1690356958977.jpeg

You can find similar redemptions all around the globe if you do some research (including in India).

Also if you are okay to save up some points in bulk, you can get the 5th night free at Marriott properties when you book for 5 consecutive nights at the same property.

So assuming the points requirement is the same during the week in the example, 440k points will get you 5 nights at the Mandapa which would otherwise cost you $8,045 (again assuming the room rate is consistent during the week I used in my example).

Here's an example with the 5th free night at the St. Regis Maldives -

1690357272576.jpeg

352k MB points grants you a stay worth $9,590 ($1,372/night does not include fees or taxes which the points cover when you use them to book).

Last edited:

harsi97

TF Buzz
Have a query, if anyone has tried this. Have got plat charge and joining fees isn’t posted yet but 100k points have been credited. Can I cancel the card and get to keep the points?
Anyone tried?

nigameash

TF Select
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Have a query, if anyone has tried this. Have got plat charge and joining fees isn’t posted yet but 100k points have been credited. Can I cancel the card and get to keep the points?
Anyone tried?
They will 100% charge you back for the value of the points.

I got the card & points sometime in Nov/Dec but the card fee did not hit until Jan so it's normal for the fees to get posted later.

They can always put the annual fees as a negative on your credit score and possibly blacklist you for life (if not a while).

ALOAK

TF Premier
Anyone tried?
Points will become invalid. Never cancel chances are they may put negative charge which becomes iou to them and may get reported to cibil. Wait they may charge.

harsi97

TF Buzz
They will 100% charge you back for the value of the points.

I got the card & points sometime in Nov/Dec but the card fee did not hit until Jan so it's normal for the fees to get posted later.

They can always put the annual fees as a negative on your credit score and possibly blacklist you for life (if not a while).
Obviously I’ll take a no dues confirmation from customer care rep and use up all points beforehand if I were to try this

elite34700

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Obviously I’ll take a no dues confirmation from customer care rep and use up all points beforehand if I were to try this
I don’t mean to point you out here but these kind of actions done by customers broke Amex trust in the Indian market. Initially they used to offer the taj voucher in advance now there’s a spend criteria to get it upon joining . What good do the points do to you instead of being a good customer with any financial institution? Amex hasn’t got much to lose here but think twice are you okay to lose your credibility with them just over 100k points ?🤞

ALOAK

TF Premier
T
I don’t mean to point you out here but these kind of actions done by customers broke Amex trust in the Indian market. Initially they used to offer the taj voucher in advance now there’s a spend criteria to get it upon joining . What good do the points do to you instead of being a good customer with any financial institution? Amex hasn’t got much to lose here but think twice are you okay to lose your credibility with them just over 100k points ?🤞true

ashwinsid

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

Good luck!
I am in the same boat so wanted input from you /other members:

Once I get Platinum charge card (applied through agent), before activating it, I want to ask Amex for MR points instead of Taj vouchers. I am hoping for 1.25L points but can settle for 1L points.

What would be the best communication option to place this request: the chat option in the app or calling the platinum charge care number?

amitr29

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I am in the same boat so wanted input from you /other members:

Once I get Platinum charge card (applied through agent), before activating it, I want to ask Amex for MR points instead of Taj vouchers. I am hoping for 1.25L points but can settle for 1L points.

What would be the best communication option to place this request: the chat option in the app or calling the platinum charge care number?
Get the card, don't activate it.. Call customer care and tell them that your plan a travel next month and hence want points. 100k you will get . They will confirm in 48 hours.

Please donot activate the card till then. You have 40-45 days still to cancel, if you don't get points