• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Pathetic Airtel Prepaid, Sim card dead

anonymuos

TF Ace
Not true. My airtel SIM from 2002 (2G) had to be changed physically once to migrate seamlessly to 3G/4G. Physical SIM changed to eSIM in 2022. Till then, for close to 20 years, the two airtel SIMs (2G bigger SIM and 3G/4G micro Sim) never gave any problem nor replaced.
"This never happened to me therefore it must not be true." 😆It's only after a sizable % of people who are affected by such a problem and see others also facing it that they share their own experiences. In this thread alone, you can see quite a number of people facing this issue with Airtel.

"This never happened to me therefore it must not be true." 😆It's only after a sizable % of people who are affected by such a problem and see others also facing it that they share their own experiences. In this thread alone, you can see quite a number of people facing this issue with Airtel.

First, you read the post completely (to which I replied).

Then, you read my reply.

If you still can't follow what I said, try to read it again. And, relate it.

aayusharyan

TF Ace
Not true. My airtel SIM from 2002 (2G) had to be changed physically once to migrate seamlessly to 3G/4G. Physical SIM changed to eSIM in 2022. Till then, for close to 20 years, the two airtel SIMs (2G bigger SIM and 3G/4G micro Sim) never gave any problem nor replaced.
Yeah, when upgrading from 3G to LTE. They had to change Physical SIM for me as well.

AlgoTrader

TF Ace
And to add to my sweet experience of my VI sim going dead, I got my airtel axis CC using the same and airtel is saying they sent the 500 Amazon GV to that dead VI number , they are refusing to share it on whatsapp of the same number or email. Losing 500 GV due to it I guess as I need 2 more days to get new sim

anonymuos

TF Ace
First, you read the post completely (to which I replied).

Then, you read my reply.

If you still can't follow what I said, try to read it again. And, relate it.
Oh ok you were saying "Not true" to "they do something OTA to fry their own SIM" and not to "airtel SIMs have this strange illness of dying every 2-3 years." despite quoting both. My bad. Because some of their SIMs do have this tendency to suddenly die every few years. Happened to many of my friends' SIMs too.

indi_vishal

TF Select
just returned from Airtel Store, there were 3 customer ahead of me with same problem (sim card stopped working and can't be latched to Airtel Network). I asked why it happened, they replied sim gone bad due to some reason. I think they are running some kind of scam or using inferior quality of sim card which goes bad after certain year. They charged 50 INR for replacement, now i need to wait for 4 hours to get it activated and another 24 hours to send MNP port out request.

I will complain to higher authority regarding this mishap as there is no direct number to contact customer care and even in Twitter they reply after 4-5 hours. I was out of India and It was my primary number where i get all the bank and credit otp. Horrible situation and you dont have option to talk to customer care. Will be switching to Jio coz of low pay as you go International roaming and works flawlessly. (I have jio sim too, so tested this). Customer care is just a chat away using myjio app.

indi_vishal

TF Select
Even I have another Airtel Sim which is much older but works. I think they use some cheaper quality of sim card now. And it is better to get it replaced after 2 years. Since I was out of country and no way to contact airtel regarding this issue as they now removed the option in IVR where it asks Press 9 to speak to customer care executive" also they respond very late in Twitter.

aayusharyan

TF Ace
Even I have another Airtel Sim which is much older but works. I think they use some cheaper quality of sim card now. And it is better to get it replaced after 2 years. Since I was out of country and no way to contact airtel regarding this issue as they now removed the option in IVR where it asks Press 9 to speak to customer care executive" also they respond very late in Twitter.
I wonder if someone is out of country, can that person request an e-sim in case of sim lost... 🤔

anonymuos

TF Ace
In my case it happened to me in covid pandemic delta wave and no one was helping, all stores were out of stock of SIMs and no one was coming home either. Was screwed without OTPs and using only cash. Finally walked to one far off store to get it. So I have a certain anger for this Chortel company.

AlgoTrader

TF Ace
just returned from Airtel Store, there were 3 customer ahead of me with same problem (sim card stopped working and can't be latched to Airtel Network). I asked why it happened, they replied sim gone bad due to some reason. I think they are running some kind of scam or using inferior quality of sim card which goes bad after certain year. They charged 50 INR for replacement, now i need to wait for 4 hours to get it activated and another 24 hours to send MNP port out request.

I will complain to higher authority regarding this mishap as there is no direct number to contact customer care and even in Twitter they reply after 4-5 hours. I was out of India and It was my primary number where i get all the bank and credit otp. Horrible situation and you dont have option to talk to customer care. Will be switching to Jio coz of low pay as you go International roaming and works flawlessly. (I have jio sim too, so tested this). Customer care is just a chat away using myjio app.
Definitely feels like scam and on purpose as SIMs issued decade back are still working

blacktiger

TF Premier
airtel SIMs have this strange illness of dying every 2-3 years. I have a doubt that they do something OTA to fry their own SIM
can confirm, i too faced the same witrh airtel. never took sim out of phone and one day suddenly stopped working. had to get replacement. i have the same jio sim for more than 4 years and things like this never happened.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
How old was the SIM card which had refused to work while you were overseas??

Random123

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Airtel service is becoming worse day by day..
There was a time when i was proud to use airtel.. not anymore.

Just this month i recharged for a 28 day pack and got 24 days validity. Even after sharing screenshots with nodal desk, they said the pack has 24 day validity.
Such idiots.
Is it the amount of 239 ?
First screenshot is from amazon recharge while second one is from airtel app.

Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 10.10.54 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 10.11.03 PM.png

Reactions: SSV

knight

TF Ace
Is it the amount of 239 ?
First screenshot is from amazon recharge while second one is from airtel app.

Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 10.10.54 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 10.11.03 PM.png
Last month it was 28 days on Amazon as well.

After i put the Port Out request, they took the case seriously and called me to apologize for the issue.
The incorrect validity was not because of 24 or 28 days, but because they started the new pack on the day of recharge instead of stacking it on the existing unlimited pack.

For context, my validity was supposed to end on 20 Nov, and i recharged on 17 Nov. (future recharge..which we often do..)
They started the new pack on 17th only.
Reason? : The old and new recharge were of different denominations. How dumb.
Thus even though the system had posted 28 days of validity, it was effectively ~24-25 days.

Today the new associate cleared it out, apologized, and added some balance for the company's mistake.

They sent me these TnC:
1. For Unlimited Combo plans, customer can now do multiple recharges at the same time and the validity will be accumulated for all the recharges made.
2. Maximum accumulated validity can be of 2 Years(730 Days)
3. Validity will be accumulated only for same denomination recharge, having same Offer ID.

Random123

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Last month it was 28 days on Amazon as well.

After i put the Port Out request, they took the case seriously and called me to apologize for the issue.
The incorrect validity was not because of 24 or 28 days, but because they started the new pack on the day of recharge instead of stacking it on the existing unlimited pack.

For context, my validity was supposed to end on 20 Nov, and i recharged on 17 Nov. (future recharge..which we often do..)
They started the new pack on 17th only.
Reason? : The old and new recharge were of different denominations. How dumb.
Thus even though the system had posted 28 days of validity, it was effectively ~24-25 days.

Today the new associate cleared it out, apologized, and added some balance for the company's mistake.

They sent me these TnC:
1. For Unlimited Combo plans, customer can now do multiple recharges at the same time and the validity will be accumulated for all the recharges made.
2. Maximum accumulated validity can be of 2 Years(730 Days)
3. Validity will be accumulated only for same denomination recharge, having same Offer ID.
Apologies for misunderstanding the issue. But glad the issue got finally resolved, so port out seems to be the way to get their attention

By the way thanks for sharing these details. I have postpaid as part of black but was looking to shift because of support and also my sim card also stopped working after international travel.

Even international roaming isn't that great but had to go for it due to time crunch.