• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Pathetic Airtel Prepaid, Sim card dead

knight

TF Ace
Apologies for misunderstanding the issue. But glad the issue got finally resolved, so port out seems to be the way to get their attention

By the way thanks for sharing these details. I have postpaid as part of black but was looking to shift because of support and also my sim card also stopped working after international travel.

Even international roaming isn't that great but had to go for it due to time crunch.
Not only port out.
The retention call i got after port out was super dumb.. the agent hung up on me after i told her the reason for leaving 🤣

The reason they took it seriously was that i already filed an email complaint with Nodal team, since they didn't resolve it in 2 emails, I initiated the port out. Then sent them a reply that I'm porting out and canceling my wifi and other services as well.

I've been a long-term customer. But this wrong recharge benefits case was something I wouldn't tolerate. I prefer smooth services. Don't wanna be worrying everytime whether they added the correct validity or not.

Infinite

TF Select
VIP Lounge
This problem is seen when you insert working Airtel SIM (non 5G) in a 5G phone and switch back to non 5G phone - sort of forced upgrade and we will be charged Rs 50 for the SIM replacement.

Happened few years earlier with non 4G SIM but that time SIM replacement was free and there were no complaints.

Happened to us earlier this year with the Airtel 4G SIM and Airtel insisted that it was physical damage!

There was no response to complaints to Airtel and TRAI.

Found many at the store with similar problem so this is a scam!

Immediately after ported to Jio... Airtel didn't care and would never as long as the Indian users don't revolt - Airtel doesn't try this stunt in other countries

This problem is seen when you insert working Airtel SIM (non 5G) in a 5G phone and switch back to non 5G phone - sort of forced upgrade and we will be charged Rs 50 for the SIM replacement.

Happened few years earlier with non 4G SIM but that time SIM replacement was free and there were no complaints.

Happened to us earlier this year with the Airtel 4G SIM and Airtel insisted that it was physical damage!

There was no response to complaints to Airtel and TRAI.

Found many at the store with similar problem so this is a scam!

Immediately after ported to Jio... Airtel didn't care and would never as long as the Indian users don't revolt - Airtel doesn't try this stunt in other countries
I have 2 SIM in 2 phones, both non-5G. Never took the SIM out. Still 1 got fried twice in last 4 years while the other got fried once.
Earlier, they were not charging for postpaid users. But last time, they charged.

knight

TF Ace
I have 2 SIM in 2 phones, both non-5G. Never took the SIM out. Still 1 got fried twice in last 4 years while the other got fried once.
Earlier, they were not charging for postpaid users. But last time, they charged.
I guess we can now agree that this is an intentional downgrade of the SIM quality..
Since old sims (including mine) have been working perfectly for almost a decade, while new sims are dying every 2 years.

But there's hardly anything that we can do.. I'm not sure if class action suits are a thing in India, but even if they were, there would be substantial proof and forensic tests required for any authority to act on an issue like this.

Sounds like a conspiracy/corruption scheme from a bollywood movie.

AlgoTrader

TF Ace
And my primary airtel sim gone dead today. 3rd sim to go dead this year.
Went to airtel and vi store today and got new sims for both networks
Airtel charged 50, vodafone store asked for 150 and that too only cash. When I mentioned, customer care mentioned charges is only 60, they accepted 60 as fee.
Vi sim got activated in 5 minutes, airtel took 4 hours.
Finally mission accomplished but highly fedup with this issue, completely unnecessary.
And both stores had lot of customers with same issue, to had to wait . Also airtel store had lot of network issues and lot of delay

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Airtel charged 50, vodafone store asked for 150 and that too only cash. When I mentioned, customer care mentioned charges is only 60, they accepted 60 as fee.
Finally mission accomplished but highly fedup with this issue, completely unnecessary.
And both stores had lot of customers with same issue, to had to wait . Also airtel store had lot of network issues and lot of delay
City / town ?

hariselio

TF Premier
two times i faced this problem with airtel/iphone combination :(. no issues when jio sim used in iphone or airtel sim used in samsungs or pixel series. After this moved to eSIM.

knight

TF Ace
dafuq was this 150 rs cash only scam.

sahildca

TF Premier
airtel SIMs have this strange illness of dying every 2-3 years. I have a doubt that they do something OTA to fry their own SIM
yes true.
airtel wants there customer to visit there office every 2-3 years and gave there id.
airtrl ninja technique for reKYC ;) in every 2 years

Last edited:

habibmy

TF Premier
Strange, used airtel from 2011 to 2017, then changed sim for 4g and that too worked fine till I finally ported out of airtel. Family members have been using airtel since early 2000s and never heard of this complaint from them of sim dying.
I had to change my Sim 4 times in last 8 years. Customer care says your sim might me damaged.

habibmy

TF Premier
just returned from Airtel Store, there were 3 customer ahead of me with same problem (sim card stopped working and can't be latched to Airtel Network). I asked why it happened, they replied sim gone bad due to some reason. I think they are running some kind of scam or using inferior quality of sim card which goes bad after certain year. They charged 50 INR for replacement, now i need to wait for 4 hours to get it activated and another 24 hours to send MNP port out request.

I will complain to higher authority regarding this mishap as there is no direct number to contact customer care and even in Twitter they reply after 4-5 hours. I was out of India and It was my primary number where i get all the bank and credit otp. Horrible situation and you dont have option to talk to customer care. Will be switching to Jio coz of low pay as you go International roaming and works flawlessly. (I have jio sim too, so tested this). Customer care is just a chat away using myjio app.
Even If Airtel Sim gets damaged, VoWifi works.