• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

RBL Bank suspended card with no thorough reason

Dr. Drake

TF Ace
@TechnoFino My RBL Zomato card was terminated without explanation. Calling customer service revealed that the card had been permanently stopped due to bank internal policy. After highlighting new rbi rule the executive only said it's due to the risk associated with the card (don't know what that means) & had to write to customer care to get the detailed reason.

Asked me to clear dues & they will reissue the new card. Card limit was 2L usage was around 5% of the card.

Attachments

• rbl.jpg
    rbl.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 202
@TechnoFino My RBL Zomato card was terminated without explanation. Calling customer service revealed that the card had been permanently stopped due to bank internal policy. After highlighting new rbi rule the executive only said it's due to the risk associated with the card (don't know what that means) & had to write to customer care to get the detailed reason.

Asked me to clear dues & they will reissue the new card. Card limit was 2L usage was around 5% of the card.

Strange!!! With just 5% utilization they canceled your credit card. 😮
Ask for exact reason. And update here.
Edit- they'll reissue the card?

Have you defaulted other banks payment?

Strange!!! With just 5% utilization they canceled your credit card. 😮
Ask for exact reason. And update here.
Edit- they'll reissue the card?
Sure I've already emailed the support team, and I'll wait for their response.

Yes, the support guy assured me that they will reissue/resend the card with updated information once I paid the outstanding balance.

I have 13years of credit history & have 3 late payments from SBI in 2020. My Total utilisation is around 50-60% but that shouldn't be the reason for card cancellation I believe
According to your payment history. Yes i agree. This isn't the reason. But are you sure that bank said they will reissue?

According to my experience and observation once card is suspended. It cannot be reissued

What are the new guidelines?
RBI Guidelines for co branded credit card-
15. Co-branding arrangement

Co-branded debit cards issued by banks will be subject to the following terms and conditions, in addition to the above:

15.1 Board approved policy

The co-branding arrangement should be as per the Board approved policy of the bank. The policy may specifically address issues pertaining to the various risks associated with such an arrangement including reputation risk and put in place suitable risk mitigation measures.

15.2 Due diligence

Banks should carry out due diligence in respect of the non-banking entity with which they intend to enter into tie-up for issue of such cards to protect themselves against the reputation risk they are exposed to in such an arrangement. Banks may ensure that in cases where the proposed co-branding partner is a financial entity, it has obtained necessary approvals from its regulator for entering into the co-branding agreement.

15.3 Outsourcing of activities

The card issuing bank would be liable for all acts of the co-branding partner. The bank may ensure adherence to the guidelines on “Managing Risks and Code of Conduct in outsourcing of financial services by banks” as contained in the circular DBOD.No.BP.40/21.04.158/2006-07 dated November 3, 2006, as amended from time to time.

15.4 Role of non-bank entity

The role of the non-bank entity under the tie-up arrangement should be limited to marketing/distribution of the cards or providing access to the cardholder for the goods/services that are offered.

Link- https://m.rbi.org.in/scripts/BS_ViewMasCirculardetails.aspx?id=9838

Probably this is because in Zomato App, all credit card transactions done on RBL-Zomato credit cards are shared, unlike in AmazonPay ICICI Card where there is no data share and this won’t be allowed as per RBI rules, as RBI clearly wants the co-branded cards to restrict themselves to distribution and marketing. according to this article below

Last edited:
According to your payment history. Yes i agree. This isn't the reason. But are you sure that bank said they will reissue?

According to my experience and observation once card is suspended. It cannot be reissued
The executive stated that, although with little assurance. I would only want that card since they made two inquiries into my credit history. There will be no other justification for obtaining a Zomato card.

They even did the same for me and in my case I wasn't even notified about the card suspension. I got to know about it when my transactions were getting declined. When i asked they started their internal policy thing and they told me to visit their website read their MITC and find the reason myself. And when i told I'll go to Banking Ombudsman they said sir go-ahead.

The executive stated that, although with little assurance. I would only want that card since they made two inquiries into my credit history. There will be no other justification for obtaining a Zomato card.
Try and speak to their senior. I have asked few my friends and sister. They haven't received any such notification

They even did the same for me and in my case I wasn't even notified about the card suspension. I got to know about it when my transactions were getting declined. When i asked they started their internal policy thing and they told me to visit their website read their MITC and find the reason myself. And when i told I'll go to Banking Ombudsman they said sir go-ahead.
They told you Go-head because trxn was declined? Or to write to BO 😁

Back