• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Refundable Flights on HDFC Smartbuy?

Batman

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Has anybody been successful in booking refundable flights via HDFC Smartbuy?
  1. There's no option to choose a refundable flight.
  2. The flight chosen gives no information on cancellation (check screenshot).

Screenshot 2024-06-23 at 10.20.44 AM.png

There's another thread with this discussion, but it has no answers.

Yeah, they haven't yet added the option to choose different fare types. So it's usually the lowest fare which is non-refundable or has high cancellation charges

That digit insurance is there - but it's refundable in certain circumstances
I understand where you are coming from, but 3rd party insurance are a bit flimsy to work with. It'd be much easier and quicker to get flexible flight bookings directly from the flight company website.

I'm forced not to book through smartbuy because of this reason sometimes. Would contacting concierge help here?

I'm forced not to book through smartbuy because of this reason sometimes. Would contacting concierge help here?
Concierge can't change company policy, they can only comply with it. Though, it wouldn't hurt to ask them if there's a hidden policy of flexible flights somewhere.

I'll also keep this in mind the next time I talk to DCB concierge desk.

I understand where you are coming from, but 3rd party insurance are a bit flimsy to work with. It'd be much easier and quicker to get flexible flight bookings directly from the flight company website.
Did you had any prior experience with 3rd party insurance?
Do they don't give refund?

I haven't had the experience of claiming insurance in this sector, yet.

This is the doc by Digit Insurance on Smartbuy - https://d157777v0iph40.cloudfront.net/unified3.0/prod/3.7/assets/images/go-digit/cancellation_and _booking_amendment_TC.pdf

It doesn't specify accepted reasons for cancellation. But there's also no clarity on how to cancel and get the clain reimbursed. 3rd party websites have a tendency to make claim longer for no reason.
Read the fine print. It always exists.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-06-26-10-54-31-78_997c18bf9bb8bca59bf76741bf281961.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-06-26-10-54-31-78_997c18bf9bb8bca59bf76741bf281961.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 31
Not relavent to topic, but anybody tried Makemytrip Zero cancellation option, which claims full refund on cancellation for any reason before 24 hours?

SmartBuy is a gimic to fool people into believing that they are earning good money.

1. If you book tickets on smartbuy its very difficult to cancel or process refunds.
On multiple ocassions I have lost money because they dont refund the balance taxes after cancellation.
There is a DGCA rule that flight cancellation charge cannot be more than base fare. So legally we should get all the taxes even if the ticket is claimed to be non refundable.

On one instances where hotel booking failed after OTP. I got email that your booking is not done
but later hotel guys got the money and I was never refunded.( I can share booking id and mail)

Then there was two instance where I was not able to fly and airline said you will get refund after
deduction of cancellation charges but I had to follow up for more than 2 months with smartbuy and
their travel partner goibibo back and forth. So overall its extremely painful to deal with SmartBuy
when you have to cancel your travel. An not to ask that reaching out to smartbuy on phone takes forever
So I rest my case And I have give up booking any travel on smartbuy after 3 bad experiences.

2. Most of the cupons you get as milestone benefits doesnt work sometimes when at store
or sometimes store people dont know how to use. or sometimes they expire so soon after allotment.
do alll those returns that people expert are very to hard to get and manage. Need several followups back to back

IF my travel agent gives me a flight ticket for 5000 same is available at smartuy for 5400 and we get points of 250-500RPs
But after all the pain I feel avoiding smartbuy is better for the mental peace.

Not relavent to topic, but anybody tried Makemytrip Zero cancellation option, which claims full refund on cancellation for any reason before 24 hours?
nowadays all zero cancellations are useless. 24h clause are further useless because most people cancel in last 24 hours only. and those cancellation options are usually offered as insurance from 3rd party insurance. and to claim there are only a list of reasons for which you can claim and then you will have to substantiate that with a proof for example someone hospitalized only you or dependent family etc etc.

Not intentionally but historically I have to cancel my flights atleast 2/10 so a 20% ratio. and that to 50% falls in last 24hours. So all these insurances dont work for me. I try to calculate if there is a good probability for cancellation then better i go with traditional agent and book for a cancellable ticket which is usually 2,000/- costly. Earlier MMT had a MMT double black plan where you can do upto 2 flight cancellation in a year by paying 2,000/- in advance for the year. For my usage that was the best option and I have used it once.

nowadays all zero cancellations are useless. 24h clause are further useless because most people cancel in last 24 hours only. and those cancellation options are usually offered as insurance from 3rd party insurance. and to claim there are only a list of reasons for which you can claim and then you will have to substantiate that with a proof for example someone hospitalized only you or dependent family etc etc.

Not intentionally but historically I have to cancel my flights atleast 2/10 so a 20% ratio. and that to 50% falls in last 24hours. So all these insurances dont work for me. I try to calculate if there is a good probability for cancellation then better i go with traditional agent and book for a cancellable ticket which is usually 2,000/- costly. Earlier MMT had a MMT double black plan where you can do upto 2 flight cancellation in a year by paying 2,000/- in advance for the year. For my usage that was the best option and I have used it once.
So overall its a useless feature. Thanks for clarifying.

SmartBuy is a gimic to fool people into believing that they are earning good money.

1. If you book tickets on smartbuy its very difficult to cancel or process refunds.
On multiple ocassions I have lost money because they dont refund the balance taxes after cancellation.
There is a DGCA rule that flight cancellation charge cannot be more than base fare. So legally we should get all the taxes even if the ticket is claimed to be non refundable.

On one instances where hotel booking failed after OTP. I got email that your booking is not done
but later hotel guys got the money and I was never refunded.( I can share booking id and mail)

Then there was two instance where I was not able to fly and airline said you will get refund after
deduction of cancellation charges but I had to follow up for more than 2 months with smartbuy and
their travel partner goibibo back and forth. So overall its extremely painful to deal with SmartBuy
when you have to cancel your travel. An not to ask that reaching out to smartbuy on phone takes forever
So I rest my case And I have give up booking any travel on smartbuy after 3 bad experiences.

2. Most of the cupons you get as milestone benefits doesnt work sometimes when at store
or sometimes store people dont know how to use. or sometimes they expire so soon after allotment.
do alll those returns that people expert are very to hard to get and manage. Need several followups back to back

IF my travel agent gives me a flight ticket for 5000 same is available at smartuy for 5400 and we get points of 250-500RPs
But after all the pain I feel avoiding smartbuy is better for the mental peace.
If booking fails, immediately mail infinia support on hdfcbank as well as smartbuy. Usually they follow up. Had OTP problem and they as it showed "failed" on order history. Even once in hotel booking I had name change. They followed up for same. Flight cancelled by indigo, they confirmed I'll get full refund. Dunno about taxes part.

Also, I always say, use hotel booking to EARN points. Flights or tanishq to REDEEM them.

Back