• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Request for Guidance on Cards to Choose + Rejection Story

Why don't we have civilized discussion here?! Putting yourself in another person's shoe is difficult, but an important skill to have to go beyond horizons. I can argue for both sides.

Anyway, coming back to the topic, banks prefers to give CCs to people who are likely to miss payments (but have enough money to pay). Auto debit and NACH are hated the most by banks. Try to apply for a CC for any bank without prior relationship, you will get the CC in no time. That's how I got Apay ICICI CC. Self-employed. No recent ITR. However, I had a healthy CIBIL score of 790+. A savings bank account is preferable when someone can not get a CC through traditional ways such as home makers who don't have any income, but want a CC, anyway. CC business is complex. What holds true now may not be the same the next moment or for the next person. We have to take everything with a grain of salt.

The general idea here was that with age, the relationship with bank grows and then it becomes a bit more difficult to move all the assets to another bank. This is not that a person of 30 years cannot move accounts in terms of age... But in terms of relationship.

For example, I started with ICICI as a Youngstars account. Simple 1 account.
Then moved to Regular savings account.
Then moved to salary account. Now this account details are set in the policies, funds, PFs, etc.
Then opened DEMAT with ICICI Direct.
Then got CCs from them.
Took out a home loan, all the NACH mandates are set with this account.
Recently opened a Current Account for my Pvt Ltd.

So, you see, for me, moving banks 10 years ago was way simple than moving it today.
In such a case, I wouldn't close the other account. I would let those items work from the old account but would try and move future and routine business away to the new account. For example, I have gold bonds that give interest in IDFC and would be renewed there. I have corporate bonds with HDFC and stocks as well. PPF is with Union Bank. So I wouldn't close those accounts even if I stopped using these banks.

Why don't we have civilized discussion here?! Putting yourself in another person's shoe is difficult, but an important skill to have to go beyond horizons. I can argue for both sides.

Anyway, coming back to the topic, banks prefers to give CCs to people who are likely to miss payments (but have enough money to pay). Auto debit and NACH are hated the most by banks. Try to apply for a CC for any bank without prior relationship, you will get the CC in no time. That's how I got Apay ICICI CC. Self-employed. No recent ITR. However, I had a healthy CIBIL score of 790+. A savings bank account is preferable when someone can not get a CC through traditional ways such as home makers who don't have any income, but want a CC, anyway. CC business is complex. What holds true now may not be the same the next moment or for the next person. We have to take everything with a grain of salt.
Hey man, just curious. You were able to get APay without any prior relationship with ICICI? And that too without ITR? That's impressive. What CL did they give if I may ask?

In such a case, I wouldn't close the other account. I would let those items work from the old account but would try and move future and routine business away to the new account. For example, I have gold bonds that give interest in IDFC and would be renewed there. I have corporate bonds with HDFC and stocks as well. PPF is with Union Bank. So I wouldn't close those accounts even if I stopped using these banks.
I know. But the sake was to use this arguement as a leverage with the banker to get better negotiations.

And also yeah. Relationships are not built overnight. For the new bank, I will be just another customer, whereas for my home branch, I have pretty strong relationship.
In my case, I have found that the employees change every so often and then the relationship also changes. A decade ago, I loved Union Bank of India. I had huge deposits there and the manager was the best ever. No hassle in anything whatsoever. As soon as I entered, he would call me in to his office, offer tea or coffee and then have everything done. Like I could change my address anytime to whatever I wanted and they wouldn't ask for any documents. However, after a while, he got promoted to regional head and left. Fortunately his assistant manager was also very nice and things worked well. However, after a while, he also got promoted and I didn't know anyone there. In addition, their interest rates dropped from 9.3% to around 5.5 and I moved everything away. So now I am like a very ordinary customer there. Recently that same manager came back and things are good again. He even got me a Union Bank credit card instantly without any documents or verification etc. So it all depends on who is working at a bank and what products they are offering.

Hey man, just curious. You were able to get APay without any prior relationship with ICICI? And that too without ITR? That's impressive. What CL did they give if I may ask?
Is getting APay considered difficult if you have no prior relationship with ICICI? I, too, had got it without any income proof (us time income itna kam tha ki dekhte to Card hi nahi dete). Initial limit bhi thik hi tha..1L..jo ki ab 2.3L kr diya hai bank ne.

Edit: As I remember...we, a group of friends, had applied for the card at the same time and everyone except one got it with similar limits. That one friend of mine had to face rejection due to some address issue.

Last edited:
In my case, I have found that the employees change every so often and then the relationship also changes. A decade ago, I loved Union Bank of India. I had huge deposits there and the manager was the best ever. No hassle in anything whatsoever. As soon as I entered, he would call me in to his office, offer tea or coffee and then have everything done. Like I could change my address anytime to whatever I wanted and they wouldn't ask for any documents. However, after a while, he got promoted to regional head and left. Fortunately his assistant manager was also very nice and things worked well. However, after a while, he also got promoted and I didn't know anyone there. In addition, their interest rates dropped from 9.3% to around 5.5 and I moved everything away. So now I am like a very ordinary customer there. Recently that same manager came back and things are good again. He even got me a Union Bank credit card instantly without any documents or verification etc. So it all depends on who is working at a bank and what products they are offering.
Yes, that does happen. Luckily for me, I know like almost everyone at my home branch, so when people leave, others kind of do the intro for new employee.
Also, added advantage, a few of the employees switched to different departments, so if needed, I can request for help from then as well...
But then, this is my situation, YMMW

Even I was sure shot until rejected
In my case, I thought no income documents required, 100% paperless process, ICICI SB account, three existing icici credit card and old Amazon account....
All these together means apay approved
But it meant instant rejection
That I knew after being rejected

In my case, I thought no income documents required, 100% paperless process, ICICI SB account, three existing icici credit card and old Amazon account....
But for me, apay was approved but icici platinum was rejected twice. But I had problems with my apay application. They de linked my applications twice. I filed a complaint on rbi ombudsman regarding apay application problem. Maybe that's why they approved it. I had 2.5 months normal icici savings account at that time

But for me, apay was approved but icici platinum was rejected twice. But I had problems with my apay application. They de linked my applications twice. I filed a complaint on rbi ombudsman regarding apay application problem. Maybe that's why they approved it. I had 2.5 months normal icici savings account at that time

They are saying rejected due to internal policies. Don't giving any specific reason.

Should I raise complaint in rbi ombudsman like you.

They are saying rejected due to internal policies. Don't giving any specific reason.

Should I raise complaint in rbi ombudsman like you.
Yes, you can raise. Please attach that rbi ombudsman guideline in the complaint

They're saying? Which means you don't have email or written response from them?

For rbi ombudsman, you need proof like court. So get your proofs and complaint otherwise rbi ombudsman will just close your complaint

Yes, you can raise. Please attach that rbi ombudsman guideline in the complaint

They're saying? Which means you don't have email or written response from them?

For rbi ombudsman, you need proof like court. So get your proofs and complaint otherwise rbi ombudsman will just close your complaint
I have already sent three mails but they are telling to wait because the ticket is still in open status. Not giving response with details. Nine days past

Us bhay us 😔

Back