• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

SBI Card Violating The RBI Guidelines - Card Activated & Reported To CIBIL Before Activation

vivian

TF Buzz
Jan 2024 -
Applied for SBI Elite LTF variant through agent.
Application got lost for 2 months and no update.

Mar 2024 -
Escalated till CS Head. CS Head acknowledged the problem and sent a link and asked to reapply through the link(paid variant). Agent confirmed that it will be converted to LTF post approval. I applied and was approved within 2 days and delivered. I asked for conversion to LTF before activation.

Apr 2024 -
Meanwhile first statement with joining fee generated.
I sent all proofs (call records) to Nodal officer and Customer Service Head. NO and CSH refused conversion to LTF. I chose not to pay as I didn't activate the CC through any channels as mentioned in RBI Master direction.
CC account and late payment reported to CIBIL. CIBIL drops by a hundred pts from 800+. I pay the joining fee. I escalate again to CSH to remove the late payment report and CC account reports made to CIBIL, as it is a direct violation of RBI guidelines. They blatantly refused.

After 40 days of first report to SBICard, I made my first complaint to RBI BO on 27 April 2024.

May 2024 -
Second statement with late payment charges generated. SBICard wrote to RBI BO, asking for more time to resolve the issue and closure of the complaint as they require atleast 30 days to resolve. Clearly it has been 40+ days since my first report to SBICard, after which they clearly refused to convert to LTF, refused to remove the CIBIL reports. RBI BO believed them and closed the complaint under 30 day clause. After closure, they refused again.

I complained again to RBI BO on 27 May 2024. The complaint is still open (in process) after 100+ days.
I am sending 1 reminder to RBI BO every month by opening a new complaint and they close, saying that the original complaint is still under process.

I have the call records and all the electronic proofs with Agents. When I sent those to SBICard, their reply was :
  • "We would like to share that as our sales works in open market we have introduced severe measure to avoid any miss-communication or miss sell by sales agent/executive, we wish to confirm that we have very strict code of conduct to be followed by our sales team and no company agent or employee is authorized to violate the same."
No info on what action was taken against the employee.

They still haven't acknowledged any of the below violations of RBI guidelines, as they themselves have no answers for the same.
  • Activation without customer consent
  • Charging joining fee before activation
  • Reporting the late payment of non-activated account to CIBIL
  • Refusal of removing such reports made to CIBIL within 30 days of report, along with 2x penalty for CC issuer
They haven't answered anything about above violations. Neither in call nor through email conversations.

One Assistant manager from SBICard Nodal Officer's desk with 17 yrs experience in the company, shamelessly claimed on call that she isn't aware of any such guidelines laid down by RBI and there has not been any violations from their side.

RBI BO unfortunately is the sleeping giant in my case. 140+ days since the first complaint made in RBI CMS. Still waiting for their action.

1726044917719.webp

Last edited by a moderator:
RBI needs to have some accountability as well!!
Seen quite a few cases now on this forum where it has been over 2+ months but the RBI has not even acted on their case.

Btw, did you try calling the RBI BO office on their number?
Not one of their numbers mentioned in their org website under ombudsman's office works.
I have tried calling 14440. Their customer support team says that the only info they have on the complaint ID is that it is under process.

Elite LTF is not possible so easily. It has been given to some IIT people or to the people having good TRV with SBI.

Jan 2024 -

Mar 2024 -
Escalated till CS Head. CS Head acknowledged the problem and sent a link and asked to reapply through the link(paid variant). Agent confirmed that it will be converted to LTF post approval. I applied and was approved within 2 days and delivered. I asked for conversion to LTF before activation.

Apr 2024 -
I sent all proofs (call records) to Nodal officer and Customer Service Head. NO and CSH refused conversion to LTF. I chose not to pay as I didn't activate the CC through any channels as mentioned in RBI Master direction.
CC account and late payment reported to CIBIL. CIBIL drops by a hundred pts from 800+. I pay the joining fee. I escalate again to CSH to remove the late payment report and CC account reports made to CIBIL, as it is a direct violation of RBI guidelines. They blatantly refused.

After 40 days of first report to SBICard, I made my first complaint to RBI BO on 27 April 2024.

May 2024 -
Second statement with late payment charges generated. SBICard wrote to RBI BO, asking for more time to resolve the issue and closure of the complaint as they require atleast 30 days to resolve. Clearly it has been 40+ days since my first report to SBICard, after which they clearly refused to convert to LTF, refused to remove the CIBIL reports. RBI BO believed them and closed the complaint under 30 day clause. After closure, they refused again.

I complained again to RBI BO on 27 May 2024. The complaint is still open (in process) after 100+ days.
I am sending 1 reminder to RBI BO every month by opening a new complaint and they close, saying that the original complaint is still under process.

I have the call records and all the electronic proofs with Agents. When I sent those to SBICard, their reply was :
  • "We would like to share that as our sales works in open market we have introduced severe measure to avoid any miss-communication or miss sell by sales agent/executive, we wish to confirm that we have very strict code of conduct to be followed by our sales team and no company agent or employee is authorized to violate the same."

They still haven't acknowledged any of the below violations of RBI guidelines, as they themselves have no answers for the same.
  • Refusal of removing such reports made to CIBIL within 30 days of report, along with 2x penalty for CC issuer
They haven't answered anything about above violations. Neither in call nor through email conversations.

One Assistant manager from SBICard Nodal Officer's desk with 17 yrs experience in the company, shamelessly claimed on call that she isn't aware of any such guidelines laid down by RBI and there has not been any violations from their side.

RBI BO unfortunately is the sleeping giant in my case. 140+ days since the first complaint made in RBI CMS. Still waiting for their action.

View attachment 68445

Same I said yesterday in another Bank's post by TF Admin...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-09-11-22-07-14-897_com.android.chrome-edit.webp
    Screenshot_2024-09-11-22-07-14-897_com.android.chrome-edit.webp
    54.1 KB · Views: 96
Agents at times claims card LTF, or they will get in converted to LTF, but many of these agents are fraud nowadays.

So @vivian you may tweet on social media / twitter and TF community members may like your comments and tweets to show our support

Same case with me, but agent sold me SBI pulse. On call with customer care, after fighting a lot they reverted the annual fee, but had to pay GST. After 3 months closed the card. That is the last time I am applying any card from agent.

Jan 2024 -

Mar 2024 -

Apr 2024 -

May 2024 -

View attachment 68445
@vivian we're here to help u
tweet ur issue in X(Twitter) and tag SBI card and RBI we will try to amplify ur issue
Ultimately u will win but it takes time

Exact same thing happened with me😢

Rejected the card at the time of delivery…still got statement with joining fee…fought with SBI cards for 4 months but all in vain.

At last paid the joining fee…got 4 late payments reported to my CIBIL.

Took a vow to never ever have any kind of relationship with SBI.

RBI is becoming inefficient day by day.
I suggest you to file a case against SBI Card at your district consumer court.
I'm trying to amplify your case:

Thanks for the tweet, Sumanta @TechnoFino
SBICard has acknowledged the post by asking for my details with a reply to your tweet. I have DMed them my contact. Lets see how they address this now.

People often forget that SBI (the Bank) does not issue any cards. The cards are issued by SBICSPL which is a NBFC subsidiary of SBI. As it is a NBFC, the protocols are lax and for any grievances, you do not get the same service as given by banks themselves.
In terms of customer care, SBICSPL is worse than Axis.

@vivian please share your contact number via dm, sbi card contacted me and asked me for your number so that they can contact you directly and address your issue. Or you may also contact them via Twitter dm.
Saw their tweet and DMed my contact and case details to @SBICard_Connect twitter profile yesterday. They have acknowledged my DM. But no update as of now. Will keep this thread updated.
Thanks, Sumanta. 🙏

Jan 2024 -

Mar 2024 -

Apr 2024 -

May 2024 -

View attachment 68445
One imp lesson , whatever yr issue is never ignore yr paymentz direct indirect justified or not justified,Coz cibil in the credit world is Supreme power,bringing yr marks down would b the worse as it's life time dot wch stays in yr profile ,as they don't understand or wil never understand the injustice happed to u ..(sort keeping the cibil balance in consideration)

View attachment 68445
It would be much better if you complained directly about .... Activation..... rather than explaining your whole story .... in bo complaint.

Rbi officers are not interested in our stories or .... in practical point of view*

It would be much better if you complained directly about .... Activation..... rather than explaining your whole story .... in bo complaint.

Rbi officers are not interested in our stories or .... in practical point of view*
It doesn't work. A detailed account shows how the issue has been mishandled over time and demonstrates that multiple RBI guidelines were breached. This helps the RBI Ombudsman see the full extent of the problem, rather than treating it as an isolated incident. It ensures a thorough and fair review. if they do

Many card issuers like SBI activate cards and violate the Guidelines of RBI While RBI sets clear guidelines, their lack of practical enforcement weakens their impact. Without proper implementation, these card issuers continue to ignore the rules, leaving customers without adequate protection or recourse

It doesn't work. A detailed account shows how the issue has been mishandled over time and demonstrates that multiple RBI guidelines were breached. This helps the RBI Ombudsman see the full extent of the problem, rather than treating it as an isolated incident. It ensures a thorough and fair review. if they do

Many card issuers like SBI activate cards and violate the Guidelines of RBI While RBI sets clear guidelines, their lack of practical enforcement weakens their impact. Without proper implementation, these card issuers continue to ignore the rules, leaving customers without adequate protection or recourse
I hope you have seen movies, story is not in timeline ...

Scenario 1:
The bank charged an annual fee to my credit card account despite the fact that I never activated the card. This fee was charged even though the bank salesperson explicitly promised that the card would have a 'lifetime free' annual fee once approved. This unexpected charge has negatively impacted my credit score by causing a late payment.

Scenario 2:
I applied for a paid credit card, and the SBI referral executive promised it would be lifetime free after approval. However, it turned out to be a paid card, and I was charged an annual/joining fee without card activation. A late payment was also reported. I have emailed the nodal officer about the agent's mis-selling.

Scenario 1 and 2 Conclusion:
Now, I request the RBI Banking Ombudsman to remove the late payment from my CIBIL report.

Back