• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Seeking Advice: Best Credit Card for Buying a Car in September

### Subject: Best Credit Card for Buying a Car in September - Need Advice!

Hi everyone,

I need some expert advice on choosing the right credit card for a big upcoming purchase. I’m planning to buy a new car in September, with a price tag of around 25 lakhs. If the dealer allows, I’d like to pay the full amount with a credit card. If not, I’m expecting to use a card for at least 15 lakhs, with a 1-2% surcharge.

I’ve mostly used lifetime-free or low-fee cards until now, but I’m open to getting a high-fee card if it offers great rewards. My main goal is to maximize the benefits of this large transaction (hotel or flight points are also okay)

Which credit card should I apply for to get the best returns on this purchase? Need a complete action plan to maximize the returns.

Thanks in advance!

helloworld

TF Legend
Atlas, Ultimate, Marquee, Infinia, DCB, AMEX Travel, Emeralde Private, Magnus for Burgundy, AMEX Platinum, AMEX Reserve, IDFC Wealth.

Last edited:
Reactions: m4b

a_tease

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Since most cards have a ceiling on number of points that can be earned per month, if the car has 7-8 months of waiting period, pay 2 lakh per month via credit card.

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I don't think this is a good idea. First of all, most dealers would not accept such a large amount via CC and if they did, they would charge at least 2% extra. Now if we get a premium card like Infina (I have one), you would get 3.3% cashback. On 15 lakhs, that is just 49k. The dealer would charge around 30 to 37k, leaving you with just 10 to 15k in cashback. For this, you have to pay annual fees of nearly15k, go through the application process and then worry about redeeming the cashback. So totally not worth it in my opinion. OP can use any existing card for 1 or 2 lakhs for free if allowed by the dealership. The 10k in possible cashback can be obtained by focusing on price negotiation, better rate for insurance etc rather than worrying about credit cards.

I don't think this is a good idea. First of all, most dealers would not accept such a large amount via CC and if they did, they would charge at least 2% extra. Now if we get a premium card like Infina (I have one), you would get 3.3% cashback. On 15 lakhs, that is just 49k. The dealer would charge around 30 to 37k, leaving you with just 10 to 15k in cashback. For this, you have to pay annual fees of nearly15k, go through the application process and then worry about redeeming the cashback. So totally not worth it in my opinion. OP can use any existing card for 1 or 2 lakhs for free if allowed by the dealership. The 10k in possible cashback can be obtained by focusing on price negotiation, better rate for insurance etc rather than worrying about credit cards.
Agreed. But this is probably the worst case scenario. I think I can negotiate with 1% surcharge. And top tier cards provide 5-10% reward rate on hotels/flights. I've seen people do that.
I just want to know what is latest in the market in those terms.

helloworld

TF Legend
Too many options. If possible, can you tell which one would prove to be the best?
Need calculations.
Already have idfc wealth.. How to use that?

that depends on your eligibility, miles or hotels point preferred partners, limit etc.

same order of preference, if not eligible look for next card in the same order.

Wealth: last option, swipe and get 10x for above 20k spends (max. 1.6%)

that depends on your eligibility, miles or hotels point preferred partners, limit etc.

same order of preference, if not eligible look for next card in the same order.

Wealth: last option, swipe and get 10x for above 20k spends (max. 1.6%)
I guess I'd be eligible for most cards. Good cibil, icici provides 19L limit right now, 50L ITR, can move funds to required bank.
No preference for miles/hotel points. Just want anything that would help in an international trip.
Can you help with the atlas calculation if that is the best right now?