• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Silent charges deducted by HDFC bank on Classic Account

ULTRA-MAGNUS

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Hello my friends,

I have a classic account with HDFC bank. I have enabled SMS alert options for every transaction on my account. When I manually transfer even a single Rs, I get an SMS. But when bank deducts 750+GST debit card issuance charge or IMPS transaction charge, I do not get any message.
Is is it just me or you also have observed this?
If yes, what is the solution?

Thanks

Hello my friends,

I have a classic account with HDFC bank. I have enabled SMS alert options for every transaction on my account. When I manually transfer even a single Rs, I get an SMS. But when bank deducts 750+GST debit card issuance charge or IMPS transaction charge, I do not get any message.
Is is it just me or you also have observed this?
If yes, what is the solution?

Thanks
classic acc and still charged for debit card... what's your acc variant (not the classic banking status)

classic acc and still charged for debit card... what's your acc variant (not the classic banking status)
As per my RM, the debit card was issued before my account was raised to classic. That's why charges were debited which he said would be reversed.
But that is not my concern. My concern is that why I did not receive any message or email when those stupid charges were deducted from my account? I was fortunate to have spotted these in my account statement.

Who else has observed this? Is it a thing that when bank deducts charges, you will no be notified? Or is something wrong with my account?

As per my RM, the debit card was issued before my account was raised to classic. That's why charges were debited which he said would be reversed.
But that is not my concern. My concern is that why I did not receive any message or email when those stupid charges were deducted from my account? I was fortunate to have spotted these in my account statement.

Who else has observed this? Is it a thing that when bank deducts charges, you will no be notified? Or is something wrong with my account?
Most banks don't send SMS about debit card charges deducted - ICICI didn't for me, neither did IDFC First, nor BOB. But SBI sends - I know that for sure because I get SMS every year. I sure would like a list of all banks that have the decency to inform customer about these charges instead of us checking the account statement every few days.

Last edited:
With hdfc, i miss many times credit/debit transactions. And they keep sending useless balance alerts every 2 days or so. I have set my periodic balance check alerts off and only balance change and credit/debit ON. But it never works properly.

Axis doesn't have any such customisations, but always sends sms for all credit and debit transactions.

With hdfc, i miss many times credit/debit transactions. And they keep sending useless balance alerts every 2 days or so. I have set my periodic balance check alerts off and only balance change and credit/debit ON. But it never works properly.

Axis doesn't have any such customisations, but always sends sms for all credit and debit transactions.
Correct. I also have periodic messages turned off, but they anyways remind me each day at 9 am about my balance despite disabling it. And they don't message me what I want to hear -> charges deduction.

So seems like the software is designed this way for HDFC. However I would like more folks to pitch in on this if they get SMS about charges being deducted from HDFC.

Thanks.

Yes, banks like SBI and Canara send alerts for sure for bank charges debited from the account.
@Ultra Magnus confirm that Axis bank also does the same.
Did anyone try raising a complaint against this practice of HDFC.

i was recently charged for imps payments then i read that imps is paid but neft and rtgs is free on classic variant lmao
I am on HDFC SavingsMax account (Standard) and they deducted Rs 4 for 3 IMPS transactions, I wasn't aware that IMPS is chargeable? is it free on classic or even on classic its chargeable?
Imps is chargeable for most big banks like hdfc, axis. Though it is free for smaller banks like idfc.

Back