• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Suggest me a card , newbie to the world of CC

nobraincell

TF Buzz
Hello all,

My name is kris, i have a cibil score of 771 and itr of 6L , may increase to 7.5L this year , 17k salary from a contract basis work monthly and rest income from business

I am new to the world of credit cards, so kindly help me understand and navigate it , i was offered a fibe axis rupay card as i had previously renewed my health insurance through fibe (early salary) , this year done same through axio as did it through policybazaar.

One reason i have stayed away from cc was that i was told that there would be a service charge for every transaction, not sure if that still is borne by customer or merchant.

Main reason i looked into cards is , i have an upcoming international trip with my wife and wanted a card for it so that i may save on the forex and get some rewards, niyo global was the choice due to their ads, but started doing research and now very confused on what to choose.
Annual spends would be more than 2 to 3 lakhs as i have a max life insurance yearly 50k and around 40k on health insurance for family
I mainly spend offline but i suppose i can convert some purchases online or through UPI to make most out of the spends, recurring online spend is swiggy , offline is fuel about 5k -6k monthly also can route electricity bill of 18k monthly of my office through my cc, most of my spends are done through gpay or phonepe.
also looking for ways to maximize savings by making cc payment through some app or card.

Kindly explain C2C as well or point me to a thread that explains it.
Kindly suggest on what to do, and best card for me, happy to answer any more questions you all have

Reactions: SSV

the_collector

TF Premier
Hello all,

My name is kris, i have a cibil score of 771 and itr of 6L , may increase to 7.5L this year , 17k salary from a contract basis work monthly and rest income from business

I am new to the world of credit cards, so kindly help me understand and navigate it , i was offered a fibe axis rupay card as i had previously renewed my health insurance through fibe (early salary) , this year done same through axio as did it through policybazaar.

One reason i have stayed away from cc was that i was told that there would be a service charge for every transaction, not sure if that still is borne by customer or merchant.

Main reason i looked into cards is , i have an upcoming international trip with my wife and wanted a card for it so that i may save on the forex and get some rewards, niyo global was the choice due to their ads, but started doing research and now very confused on what to choose.
Annual spends would be more than 2 to 3 lakhs as i have a max life insurance yearly 50k and around 40k on health insurance for family
I mainly spend offline but i suppose i can convert some purchases online or through UPI to make most out of the spends, recurring online spend is swiggy , offline is fuel about 5k -6k monthly also can route electricity bill of 18k monthly of my office through my cc, most of my spends are done through gpay or phonepe.
also looking for ways to maximize savings by making cc payment through some app or card.

Kindly suggest on what to do, and best card for me, happy to answer any more questions you all have
Since you're just starting out into the world of credit cards, I would recommend not maximising for rewards or CB. Which means sticking to 1 or 2 cards to begin with.

You would need to get into the ease of using a card and get yourself accustomed to the credit offered to you.

I also believe that you don't have a credit built ( unless you had a loan), so in that case it makes it more difficult to get a credit card right of the bat.

Based on the above, I'd recommend the following 3 things :

1. Axis Ace, based on your spends might be the best card to begin with. 5% on elec bill, 1.5% on offline spends. The problem is getting the card. Since you used Gpay , see if you have it pre approved. If not, I would recommend checking your credit score via gpay( this unlocked the offer for Ace in a few days)

2. For your travel, your best bet at this time would be federal scapia. You won't get int lounge access but 0 forex which can help with your travel. I don't see much other use for this card, so if the credit aspect isn't of importance, niyo would be the best approach. Lounge + 0 forex debit and an option for a FD credit card.

3. Lastly for offline spends , start your relationship with hdfc. Any core card like millenia to begin with will be perfect and focus your spends on this card. Build your relationship with them so that you can move up the ladder for better cards.

The general rule of thumb for credit cards when you begin is, always clear your entire bill by the due date, keep your utilisation of the limit within 30% and arguably the most important, don't spend more just because you want more points or rewards ( may not make sense now but once your deep in the world of CCs , this becomes apparent and the banks take advantage of this), always spend what you would with debit/gpay.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Hello all,

first take baby steps…
Don’t look anywhere else…
Go here and apply for SBI Cashback card first…
Then we will think about next card after this application….
As I said one step at a time…

the_collector

TF Premier
first take baby steps…
Given that his spends are mostly offline ,UPi and for bills and utility ( electricity and fuel) , how would SBI CB make sense?

Btw completely agree on baby steps , 1 card to begin with

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Hello all,

You bank account .

Contact salary credit in

Business transfer bank account

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Given that his spends are mostly offline ,UPi and for bills and utility ( electricity and fuel) , how would SBI CB make sense?

Btw completely agree on baby steps , 1 card to begin with
The main objective here is.
He can’t get the SBI CB card after he gets a handful of cards..
Because he is a newbie he doesn’t really understand what to spend how to spend and where to spend…

SBI CB card is a must have card in anyone’s portfolio as of today…
To get it easily, it has to be one of anyone’s first few cards…
Many people commit a mistake by leaving SBI CB card at the end of their CC portfolio …

SBI is very strict in high leverage concept, hence people need to build their CC portfolio starting with SBI CB card …

danish

TF Ace
first take baby steps…

any suggestion for me , i am a student , i am using credit card since 2 years only unsecured card i have is from hdfc that to stuck on 25k limit despite of maintaining good mab in savings account , no other banks are giving me credit cards applied either rejected or asked income proof , i also a have secured card from idfc bank 35 k limit , any suggestion how can i get a another un secured credit card easily .

Reactions: SSV

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
any suggestion for me , i am a student , i am using credit card since 2 years only unsecured card i have is from hdfc that to stuck on 25k limit despite of maintaining good mab in savings account , no other banks are giving me credit cards applied either rejected or asked income proof , i also a have secured card from idfc bank 35 k limit , any suggestion how can i get a another un secured credit easily .
Only thru having a SB relationship with a Bank..
Age ?

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
any suggestion for me , i am a student , i am using credit card since 2 years only unsecured card i have is from hdfc that to stuck on 25k limit despite of maintaining good mab in savings account , no other banks are giving me credit cards applied either rejected or asked income proof , i also a have secured card from idfc bank 35 k limit , any suggestion how can i get a another un secured credit easily .
I got all my card without doc 🌚.
Most PPL do
Unless u want l.e

danish

TF Ace
Okay, one of the main things sorted out…
Now. List down all your banking and CC portfolio as of now
i have 2 cc first one idfc wow with 35 k limit and second hdfc with 25 k limit
i have savings account in - axis , kotak811 ,icici mine , hdfc classic and indusind delight

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
i have 2 cc first one idfc wow with 35 k limit and second hdfc with 25 k limit
i have savings account in - axis , kotak811 ,icici mine , hdfc classic and indusind delight
Do u have service area for kotak & indus

jetesh

TF Ace
Hello all,

IDFC Bank credit card ....