• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Understanding the Power of Secured Credit Cards: Leveraging Your FD

MudraMantra

TF Buzz
Greetings everyone,

I have a question regarding my credit card usage. Over the past decade, I've been using unsecured credit cards and currently hold more than 20 of them in my portfolio. My CIBIL score fluctuates between 785 to 798.

I'm considering applying for a secured credit card backed by an FD. Would this decision potentially improve my CIBIL score? Additionally, if pursuing this option proves beneficial, I would appreciate recommendations for reputable secured credit cards.

Please feel free to share your insights and experiences to help me make an informed decision. Thank you.

Shin-Chan

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
From my personal experience most of the banks like BOB & IDFC reports secured card as unsecured only in the CIBIL.
My friend had secured card from ICICI Bank and it was reported as secured only.
There are a few Banks who does that but, we need to separate the wheat from the chaff to find the option that boosts (if any) our CIBIL score the most and provides potentially decent rewards.

p.s.: Is LTF

imdjay

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Greetings everyone,

I have a question regarding my credit card usage. Over the past decade, I've been using unsecured credit cards and currently hold more than 20 of them in my portfolio. My CIBIL score fluctuates between 785 to 798.

I'm considering applying for a secured credit card backed by an FD. Would this decision potentially improve my CIBIL score? Additionally, if pursuing this option proves beneficial, I would appreciate recommendations for reputable secured credit cards.

Please feel free to share your insights and experiences to help me make an informed decision. Thank you.
I applied for secured PNB Rupay select card just for this. and they reported it unsecured.
I don't think having a secured card affects your CIBIL by a lot.

If you are worried about CIBIL. You can do the repayment before the bill generation. Keep your limit usage in negative. Your score will jump above 800.

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Greetings everyone,

Icici reports as secured. Easiest to get
Easiest to close

No Benefit
At 785 to 800.

Credit age matters
Cur matters

I don't think secured cc does more good to cibil but
Gold loan
Home loan certainly does

Shin-Chan

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Icici reports as secured. Easiest to get
Easiest to close

No Benefit
At 785 to 800.

Credit age matters
Cur matters

I don't think secured cc does more good to cibil but
Gold loan
Home loan certainly does
Home loan for sure will, it adds a decent size asset value against the customer which is immovable; thus reducing chances of default and increases credit worthiness (or means to recover in case of non payment).

asahi

TF Premier
How to apply for Hdfc Secured Credit Card I already have a decent fd with them
I have a secured credit card with HDFC, but it is not reported as secured in CIBIL. I would like to know if banks report credit cards as secured in CIBIL. Typically, how much credit score increase with a secured credit card?

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I have a secured credit card with HDFC, but it is not reported as secured in CIBIL. I would like to know if banks report credit cards as secured in CIBIL. Typically, how much credit score increase with a secured credit card?
Indusind and RBL report it as unsecured or rather a normal card. ICICI and Yes Bank report it as secured. I am saying this from personal experience.

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Home loan for sure will, it adds a decent size asset value against the customer which is immovable; thus reducing chances of default and increases credit worthiness (or means to recover in case of non payment).
Yes. Sometimes I have thought about taking a needless home loan against one of my properties, just for this purpose but the hassle isn’t worth it. I have never taken a home or car loan in India.

its_karan

TF Ace
Following

I am keen to get to Indian Bank credit card
Min fd is 25k
I want to know which variant I will get

Site has no such info
Indian Bank ke liye FD amount se zyada

Branch main kis Card ka Stock pada hai zyada matter karta hai

@Strange

sidp

TF Ace
Greetings everyone,

Gold/home loan or even personal loan has more impact on credit score.

Secured fd might improve by 5 points, if you make total cur < 10% & card level cur <20-25%, it will have more impact. You can even make cur 0/-ve, but this doesn't have long term impact. If one month cur increase from-ve to even 1%, score will again drop. So you should stress about making cur 0/-ve only if you are planning to take big loan in near future.

doraemon

TF Legend
Indian Bank ke liye FD amount se zyada

Branch main kis Card ka Stock pada hai zyada matter karta hai

@Strange

Fd based credit card bhi instant kit mai milte hai?