• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

where do you keep your emergency funds?

where do you keep your emergency funds also do you have a separate bank account for that?
Emergency fund is for emergency - unexpected and unplanned. So I keep some amount in cash at home and rest in high-yield savings account (separate bank) with netbanking & debit card enabled for transactions.

For Emergency Funds, i would suggest to keep it in Post Office with net banking enabled. It's completely safe as it is wholly owned by govt and also gives 4% interest which anyway is better than 2.75%-3% offered by the D-SIBs. Another way is you can put it in 6 months or 1 year bank FDs in the large bank say HDFC or SBI or ICICI the interest rates are up now-a-days you can also book it for longer tenures... especially if booking with FD in HDFC Bank it currently offers 7% with an annualized yield of 7.2% approx... book it online so you can break it if needed in emergency. Only 1% Penalty on interest rate you will anyway get 6% approx returns on it if you break before maturity.

where do you keep your emergency funds also do you have a separate bank account for that?
emergency fund is for emergency. one should not optimise for returns, optimise for availability.
I keep it in Paytm FD, where it is easily accessible and transferable.
Should keep some in CASH and rest in easily accesible no lockin FD.

You don't need a separate account as such. Either get yourself a liquid fund or you can open a long-term FD and leave it there.

For emergency fund, I think following points are important:-
1. Liquidity- This fund should be highly liquid, as the name suggests it is meant for emergencies
2. Quantum- Ideally 3-6 months of pay
3. Returns on the emergency fund
4. Taxation- This is last point to consider, as there would be less avenues for any optimisation.

This may sounds cliche but had park emergency funding in Gold Coins/Bars. I can sell it whenever I want. Unfortunately, I had to use it during Corona times, but I was able to get cash in minutes with no questions asked. There is no liquidity crisis because the market is extremely liquid. Rate is unimportant 1k up/down it should suffice the Job

I keep some cash and the rest in airtel payment banks - gives 6 percent on the amount above 1 lakh (max allowed is 2 lakhs). Downside - cant use airtel mini-kyc tricks.

I keep some cash and the rest in airtel payment banks - gives 6 percent on the amount above 1 lakh (max allowed is 2 lakhs). Downside - cant use airtel mini-kyc tricks.
How much do u keep in it?
Anytime 2L?

The more u keep, more u earn
The less u keep, less u earn.

It gives 3%p.a. if someone keep 1.17L,
And interest rate increases with amount

Last edited:
This may sounds cliche but had park emergency funding in Gold Coins/Bars. I can sell it whenever I want. Unfortunately, I had to use it during Corona times, but I was able to get cash in minutes with no questions asked. There is no liquidity crisis because the market is extremely liquid. Rate is unimportant 1k up/down it should suffice the Job
My suggestion is to stay away from volatility when it comes to your emergency fund. Plus, you lose a lot of money in charges when you buy and sell physical gold, right?

Back