• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Why do banks take so long to refund, yet debit the money instantly for a transaction?

Post number 10 has been selected as best answer.

Lordkk

TF Premier
I have read on quora that it's because banks what to keep the money with them as long as possible to earn interest. Is it true?

If debit is instant then credit should be instant too. For HDFC when I cancel a transaction I get a message that the transaction has been reversed but actual money come after few days.

Bank may say that its how tech works but It's hard to believe that they are telling 100% truth.

Last edited:

techt

TF Legend
phir-hera-pheri-chashme-ka-number-theek-kara.png
Nazar se Tez Dimaag. Interpreted it on the fly like that.
I will slow down my dimaag for a while.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Wow, so they are earning from our money. Thanks for the podcast link.

Do you have any idea if they do it on purpose to generate extra income or it's just the way the system work?
Yes

It's called Float Income.

It has many repercussions.

Each day generates surplus income.

You have to keep in mind that this is excess income and in volumes, this generates a sizable surplus.

This is the reason banks do not lose on UPI, as they generate too much float income on the CASA even after loss of MDR.

This is very much correct…

This is whole reason why a lot of current fintech apps can survive in the market…
It’s completely on purpose.
That’s why rbi has a guideline to complete the refund within a stipulated timeline, after which we can claim penalty per day until the refund was made..

So most of these apps rely on this income by maximising the delay in refund but just before the stipulated max time ; I think it is somewhere between 7 and 10 days..

Imagine a scenario:

Where an average of 2k per customer for 10k userbase across India is pending for refund for various reasons for 4 years o 7 days..
I.e. interest income on 2 crores for the to 7 days..

The bigger the app, the bigger this kind of revenue, which is just a free money for them

Last edited: