• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Why do banks take so long to refund, yet debit the money instantly for a transaction?

Post number 10 has been selected as best answer.

Lordkk

TF Premier
I have read on quora that it's because banks what to keep the money with them as long as possible to earn interest. Is it true?

If debit is instant then credit should be instant too. For HDFC when I cancel a transaction I get a message that the transaction has been reversed but actual money come after few days.

Bank may say that its how tech works but It's hard to believe that they are telling 100% truth.

Last edited:

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Because it takes 2-3 days ( working for money to actually get transferred into their account)

If u do debit card transaction & money is debited but the company or even in upi 3rd person company/ banks get it after 2-3 days.

What we see is only front end ..
Back end transaction settlement takes time .

Untill company receives it how they gonna refund

Because it takes 2-3 days ( working for money to actually get transferred into their account)

If u do debit card transaction & money is debited but the company or even in upi 3rd person company/ banks get it after 2-3 days.

Koi technology aani chahiye ki failed transaction hone par apne paison ko waapas kheech kar bank account mein daal dein

Lordkk

TF Premier

No Sir As far as I know the UPI transactions are instant as they are based on IMPS. Still banks take mostly 3 days to refund the UPI transaction.

Lordkk

TF Premier
Koi technology aani chahiye ki failed transaction hone par apne paison ko waapas kheech kar bank account mein daal dein
Yes you are right.

Yes if debit is instant then credit should be instant too. For HDFC when I cancel a transaction I get a message that the transaction has been reversed but actual money come after few days.

Bank may say that its how tech works but It's yet hard to believe that they are telling 100% truth.

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
No Sir As far as I know the UPI transactions are instant as they are based on IMPS. Still banks take mostly 3 days to refund the UPI transaction.
Bro what we see debit & credit in phone is just reflection that u have it .

But bank to bank transaction occur in a conglomeration of all debit & credit form bank to bank ..
It takes 1-2 days .

Yes upi is different system but Bank to bank transaction doesn't uses UpI 😂 come on its users who uses UPI & ImPs and what not

We use Top cake of Product .. what does deep in banking system is very different vis-ve transaction is concerned

Bro what we see debit & credit in phone is just reflection that u have it .

But bank to bank transaction occur in a conglomeration of all debit & credit form bank to bank ..
It takes 1-2 days .

Yes upi is different system but Bank to bank transaction doesn't uses UpI 😂 come on its users who uses UPI & ImPs and what not

We use Top cake of Product .. what does deep in banking system is very different vis-ve transaction is concerned
We want to see front end credit for refund too :cool: Backend se bhale hi 1 month lele bank refund dene mein

its_karan

TF Ace
I have read on quora that it's because banks what to keep the money with them as long as possible to earn interest. Is it true?
Yes

It's called Float Income.

It has many repercussions.

Each day generates surplus income.

You have to keep in mind that this is excess income and in volumes, this generates a sizable surplus.

This is the reason banks do not lose on UPI, as they generate too much float income on the CASA even after loss of MDR.

Lordkk

TF Premier

You have to keep in mind that this is excess income and in volumes, this generates a sizable surplus.

This is the reason banks do not lose on UPI, as they generate too much float income on the CASA.
Wow, so they are earning from our money. Thanks for the podcast link.

Do you have any idea if they do it on purpose to generate extra income or it's just the way the system work?

CosmicCat

TF Premier

If debit is instant then credit should be instant too. For HDFC when I cancel a transaction I get a message that the transaction has been reversed but actual money come after few days.

Bank may say that its how tech works but It's hard to believe that they are telling 100% truth.
Not entirely true. There are a lot of stuff going behind the scenes. Razorpay has an interesting article written on this. Go through it:

theglobalinvestor

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

I guess these banks still haven't heard of UPI which has real time settlement?

techt

TF Legend
Yes

This is the reason banks do not lose on UPI, as they generate too much float income on the CASA even after loss of MDR.
wow ... excellent explanation.
You are CA Karan Batra. Till now I mistook your username for CANARA BANK and was wondering, I have seen fans of CCs but a fan of bank? That too Canara ? May be a Canara Bank employee.

Faint Fainting GIF by Sesame Street