• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Why Kotak 811 is the best digital Account? Explained.

Deadman

TF Buzz
I have
1. Salary Account in SBI since last six years but no special credit card offers and non existent offers for debit cards.
(I think HDFC offers good lifetime free debit cards with savings max account- Millennia and Easyshop platinum)

2. Zero mab digital account in icici with 95k initial funding (can withdraw immediately). Mobile banking and netbanking experience is good but there is one weired problem. When i try to pay someone, imobile sometimes shows error "trasaction limit exceeded" or "No. of trasactions exceeded" something like this i don't remember it correctly right now. This error appears even if i have done no trasaction in last 2-3 days.(though it happens 1 out of 10, which is still not good in emergency situation). I could not find similar problem on internet, i don't know whats wrong with my account.

3. Indusind Digi Start with 20k initial funding (can withdraw immediately)
Titanium debit card with Rs. 249 issuance charge and Rs. 500 renewal charge. Blocked it after opening account because i already have debit cards of sbi, icici, uco bank and gramin bank in my family with annual charges from 0 to Rs. 200 range. Don't need more debit cards.

4. Payment Bank accounts- Paytm, Jio, Airtel, Fi-Federal. Only virtal cards, no physical dc. Only keep small amount for UPI and occasional special offers. No big trasactions (account freezing issues with some people)

5. Recently opened IDFC digital account with 10k mab but closed it within a week. Reason- we can't set desired UPI id. Bank provides PhoneNumber@idfcbank by default with no option to change it afterwards. Customer care also said many people had complained about this. Most of my trasactions are through concerned bank apps and i don't want my phone number revealed to third parties.

6. Bank of baroda B3 plus zero mab account. Provides option of only virtual dc. But its ios app is pain in the a**. Crashes many times which is rare for an ios app. Cant see its virtual card cvv. Every time i click on show cvv, error appears "invalid response from HSM". I saw many people facing this issue. Saw a post on TF community, someone faced similar issue and had to click 25-30 times. I done the same, cvv appeared and i noted it down. Still facing the same issue, have to click 20-25 times. And bigger pain in the a** is UPI. Can not set UPI in ios device. I have tried more than 300 times and every time error appears "Sorry for inconvenience. Kindly contact to bank". I inserted my sim in secondary android device, upi set up was successful. Then again inserted in ios device (sofware and app both upto date). Same error again. Linked it to phonepe, set up upi and i'm done with this slow bob world app.

7. Now lets talk about kotak 811 account. SMOOTH UI. Best thing is we can open this account with phone number not linked with our aadhar card. Almost all digital bank accounts require phone number linked with Aadhar card. But Kotak only requires otp sent to aadhar number. And i have never faced any serves issue till now, have done countless trasactions with no account freezing issue. Abused this account like hell. It also provide option to opt for only virtual debit card. Ecomm offers work flawlessly on this card, unlike indusind virtual card where offers are only for specific physical debit cards.
In my view, Kotak 811 is the only digital bank account which also work as a traditional bank account with no strings attached. Turn off sms alerts and it works as lifetime free account without any disappointment.

These are my personal views based on my experience, not affiliated to anything.

The app is in early access.

Just type this on playstore.
pub:Kotak Mahindra Bank Ltd.

You should see the "kotak811 banking app".

Only balance view & dc view are there right now
What's the difference between
1.https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onlinebankaccount.zerobalanceaccount
&
2.https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kotak811mobilebankingapp.instantsavingsupiscanandpayrecharge

except the fact that second one is in development ?

What's the difference between
1.https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onlinebankaccount.zerobalanceaccount
&
2.https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kotak811mobilebankingapp.instantsavingsupiscanandpayrecharge

except the fact that second one is in development ?
1st app is just open a web page where u can open a account.(where u do just by googling)

2nd a app for k811 customer. Though now only you can see the account balance see & dc views option.

1st app is just open a web page where u can open a account.(where u do just by googling)

2nd a app for k811 customer. Though now only you can see the account balance see & dc views option.
Ajeeb Ch***ya bank hai.Making things complicated for no reason.First app for account opening.Second app for checking balance.Third app for banking.Fourth app for account closure.o_O

Not allowing me to apply from Kotak Mobile banking app.Giving error 0*0001E.

Ajeeb Ch***ya bank hai.Making things complicated for no reason.First app for account opening.Second app for checking balance.Third app for banking.Fourth app for account closure.o_O

Kotak 811 which is new and under development is specifically for 811 users, and they might be separating 811 customers from normal app in future. Transactions features will be coming soon on the same as well and it is much more fluid😉
To open a/c just visit their website

Its one of the better bank imo.
Almost no faltu charges unlike a*is.

Just google open kotak 811. To open a account.

After that just download the kotak normal app and login..

Thinking of opening a 811 account asap as the big billion day sale is comin. Can someone kindly confirm whether the virtual card will be accepted for 10% instant discount or not?

Hi, folks!

As of Dec '23, is Kotak 811 Zero-Balance account still worth it? I noticed that they are slowly transitioning 811 into a different product rather than simply an account variant (Just like Indie from IndusInd Bank).

Also, do they now allow netbanking on it? I usually prefer the desktop layout sometimes to see things in big screen. And any pesky SMS or other charges?

Hi, folks!

As of Dec '23, is Kotak 811 Zero-Balance account still worth it? I noticed that they are slowly transitioning 811 into a different product rather than simply an account variant (Just like Indie from IndusInd Bank).

Also, do they now allow netbanking on it? I usually prefer the desktop layout sometimes to see things in big screen. And any pesky SMS or other charges?
Kotak 811 is only good for upi or small transaction, they freeze the acc if they notice any big transactions.
Yes they do allow netbanking. No sms charges until and unless you enable something by yourself, and no other charges as of now. Check soc for better clarification

Kotak 811 is only good for upi or small transaction, they freeze the acc if they notice any big transactions.
Thanks for the response! Yes, I need it for that purpose only. I don't want to reveal my main bank account numbers to anyone else, so this one would be helpful. I would park a very small amount there (< ₹5,000 AMB) for daily UPI transactions.

And, any idea if their virtual debit card supports reward points? I can't find any information about it (Probably because it doesn't yield them much profit?)

Also, how's their customer support? I noticed they don't have any dedicated customer care email address. There's a contact form only on their website, whose reply always comes from a no-reply address.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response! Yes, I need it for that purpose only. I don't want to reveal my main bank account numbers to anyone else, so this one would be helpful. I would park a very small amount there (< ₹5,000 AMB) for daily UPI transactions.

And, any idea if their virtual debit card supports reward points? I can't find any information about it (Probably because it doesn't yield them much profit, I guess?)

And how's their customer support? I noticed they don't have any email address. There's a contact form only on their website, whose reply always comes from a no-reply address.
Kotak app & website experience is great.
I didn't faced any call after opening this.
Proper sms & email alert for transaction.

Don't think they are dc gives wny rewards. And u can't get spedz card with k811 account. Can open..

Back