• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Your First Credit Card Story - How did you get your first credit card?

TechnoFino

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
Hello every,
The first credit card is special for everyone. We all remember the experience of getting our first card 😃
Let's share our first credit card experience...
My experience-
My first credit card was ICICI HPCL Coral, which I received in 2015. My home address at that time did not fall within any bank's serviceable area, so they asked me to apply for credit card against FD. But I needed an unsecured credit card, so I talked to my branch manager and I told him I needed an unsecured card.
He told me that... we can give you an unsecured card but for that you have to purchase an ICICI Prudential Ulip policy of Rs. 2 lakhs (minimum).
At that time I desperately needed a credit card because my business was in USA and I needed a credit card for its payment. I was unemployed that time with zero CIBIL score, No bank was offering me a credit card so I had purchased a policy of two lakh rupees at that time and got my first ever credit card ICICI HPCL coral credit card (chargeable), later icici converted that card to a lifetime free hpcl coral credit card and I'm still holding that one 😄

Last edited:
I

I have 15k shared between Axis Ace and Flipkart. Double pathetic. !!

Recently upgraded my HDFC money-back card to Millennia , so Flipkart shopping is covered . Now ace is sufficient for me. Will close axis FK if they don't change it to LTF !
How long did it take for you to get upgraded from money-back to Millennia.
Also did you get an upgrade offer or else you raised an request for the upgrade?

My story. I had been always fascinated about banking and other services, alongside with technology since I was 8. It made my really wonder to start my YouTube channel, but I cannot due to personal reasons. Credit Card at that time, I thought it was a trap and only the Ambanis' had one. I was wrong. When the COVID pandemic hit, I was 12-13 y/o. I really understood about Credit Cards, it's offers and other benefits. Of course, I cannot take my own credit card, told my dad to take one Amazon Pay card. But we didn't get that as we had a problem with the bank in 2015. One day, they sent HPCL Coral Credit to our home which we never applied for, it affected our credit score which was clean with only 1 housing loan. When we went to take a loan for a TV in 2017, costing 80k, the company said you can't have one as you haven't paid back your Credit Card. We couldn't do anything but only take a loan from mom's account. We complained to the bank, to remove that and they did, but still it shows in our credit score.

Finally, after the wait, got one at limit of 30k, although that's very low. Our first transaction was online, buying Amazon Prime for 5% and also Prime Video and free delivery. Using that card very happily.

Planning to take another (secondary) card but none of them are LTF. Well, even though I'm under 18, I'm like a banker to my dad :)

Seems most of folks younger. My first card was from hsbc in 2007 and took icici card in same month. Still I am not holding any of the super premium cards from the list for which the new vip lounge group is created here
haha somebody from same boat... even my journey too started with HSBC in 2007 , they are the pioneer that time in CC industry.. had Card with no annual fees at that time but then they introduce annual fees in 2011 closed my card as didn't have much knowledge about this CIBIL. Even got American Express Gold and Standard Charted Manhattan but closed all due to high annual charges as no body ready to make it LTF, never thought closing all these will impact my CIBIL score. Once denied CAR loan in 2012 due to low CIBIL score. Then started the CC journey again with HDFC Card which I got thru an agent not that much hard If ur salaried.. now had CC from all leading banks

Kash bob and sbi pre approved cards dedete....😂
SBI does give pre-aproved cards, I don't know about BOB.

My father had received a credit card directly in our mailbox, he never even asked about it let alone apply. He was so pissed off that he went to branch and closed it on very next day. Then cut it in two pieces with scissors.

But he was government employee and he had salary a/c sbi. So.. :ROFLMAO:

My first Credit Card was ICICI Platinum Secured Credit Card that I got on June 2021 .First, no bank was giving me a card, due to low salary and no CIBIL Score. In around March 2021, I applied for Amazon Pay ICICI Credit card, but it was rejected, even when my salary account was in ICICI bank . So, I took a Card against an FD. But that FD Limit was low. So, after 1 months of that card, I broke that FD and made another FD of around Rs 65000, for which I got a limit of Rs 58500. I made tremendous purchases using that card. During the Dussehra sale, I made around 1.75 lakhs of purchase (for many of my family members) . In November, after the cooldown period ended, I re-applied for Amazon Pay ICICI Credit card, and within 2 days, it was approved. No documentations at all. Then I closed the Secured Card and continued with this one.

Now, I am a proud owner of 4 Unsecured Cards (from HDFC, ICICI, Axis, RBL Zomato Edition) and 1 Secured Card, all LTF.

My future targets =

for free variants
  • Axis Flipkart (was free ,so I expect it will be free again)
  • IDFC First Credit card
  • BOB Credit Card (if the LTF offer is removed, then I will NOT get BOB)

for paid variants
Any one from
  • SBI SimplyClick
  • Amex Smart Earn Credit card

(only 1 from the two paid variants for now).

Apply for BOB CC right now. Now is the time. Apply C2C with the CC you have highest limit.
I did. Online applications showed some error (No offers or something). So, I applied offline. Bank employee said, he will process the form on Monday (23 may 2022). Let's hope for the best!!
Btw, the BOB LTF Offer is available till September 2022.

I did. Online applications showed some error (No offers or something). So, I applied offline. Bank employee said, he will process the form on Monday (23 may 2022). Let's hope for the best!!
Btw, the BOB LTF Offer is available till September 2022.
LTF offer applicable for offline mode as well?

Ok which variant you applied for and which all documents you provided?
I dont know, because I only signed the offline form. But, I think the bank executive went for the Easy Variant. For documents, only Aadhar, PAN and photo was needed. No income proof, no other CC statements was asked.

Back